Author Topic: Flight modeling  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
Re: Flight modeling
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 06:36:15 PM »
When I fly, (I'm taking private pilot lessons) turbulence moves me up and down yes, but some times he will get pushed right or left.

I wish my parents had $10,000 easily accessible.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 07:12:27 PM »
I wish my parents had $10,000 easily accessible.
It's not that much...
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 09:25:51 PM »
Depends on where you live. I'm with you, Krupinski. barely enough for groceries :(

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 10:01:45 AM »
Physically possible and trained for are two entirely separate things.  I know of one case in which a Mossie VI was attacking a German airfield and the pilot pulled it to tight and stalled it violently at low altitude.  The stick was yanked out of his hand and the Mossie was upside down at what his navigator said was 10ft, though I'd guess more like 50ft, and he recovered it.  All sorts of stuff happened that pilots weren't trained for.

True, but you are talking about an accidental stall vs intentionally stall fighting at that altitude.  In either case, there is only so far simulation can go.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 02:32:23 PM »
True, but you are talking about an accidental stall vs intentionally stall fighting at that altitude.  In either case, there is only so far simulation can go.
It still looks like you're conflating what was physically possible for the aircraft to do with what they actually did due to pilot training and self preservation and expecting HTC to limit players to the second somehow.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 03:26:14 PM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:22:29 PM by hitech »

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2011, 04:40:31 PM »
They get all their information from various 'History Channel' shows. It's a great resource.

:bolt:
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2011, 04:55:13 PM »
Same thing as stall fighting 100 feet off the ground.  I don;t think that was part of WWII pilot training.

While I agree flight models can only be "so true" to reality, you're confusing PRACTICE (I mean how something is used, not "practice makes perfect") with POTENTIAL (I mean physics allows it).

The soviets pretty much earned half their kills at treetop levels. I know many others did too.

And then there's always the story of Ta152s and Tempests stall fighting over the trees at the end of the war, the Ta152 pushing the Tempest to turn tighter and tighter until he snap stalled and crashed without time to recover because they were so low.

So while I agree with the general comment, I disagree with the notions behind it.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2011, 05:34:28 PM »
That tempest pilot turned the wrong direction for most of the fight.

He reversed near the end but it was too late.

Not sure it would have mattered.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2011, 08:36:10 AM »
While I agree flight models can only be "so true" to reality, you're confusing PRACTICE (I mean how something is used, not "practice makes perfect") with POTENTIAL (I mean physics allows it).

The soviets pretty much earned half their kills at treetop levels. I know many others did too.

And then there's always the story of Ta152s and Tempests stall fighting over the trees at the end of the war, the Ta152 pushing the Tempest to turn tighter and tighter until he snap stalled and crashed without time to recover because they were so low.

So while I agree with the general comment, I disagree with the notions behind it.

It was just an example to show how games are different from real life.