Author Topic: Rockets  (Read 739 times)

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
Rockets
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:24:09 AM »
So I've been trying for the last few days to get an A2A kill with the 190A8 rockets.  It is a whole heck of a lot harder than I though.

I finally got one last night and I was so thrilled I thought I'd let you know...  It wasn't an accident or random either.

I split s onto the 6 of a tempest..   I stopped gaining at 1000 out,  he noticed this,  leveled and started a very slight climb.  I switched rockets and aimed just ahead of his plane and fired...  I see the rocket leave my wing on a perfect trajectory,  is disappears only to a second later explode like a 5" inch shell just under the tempest...  Them BAM!!!  he blew up...  That was so awesome.  Then of course I get picked by his buddy but that was okay.

I guess the moral of the story is A2A rockets work but you got to be on the money,  if he maneuvered in any direction it likely would have missed.  The blast radius is something like 30 yards.
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline DaHand

• Zinc Member
Re: Rockets
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:34:55 AM »
Why are there only two of them though?  Shouldn't it be a whole bunch, like the 262 had??

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 11:53:32 AM »
gah.... double post...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:56:08 AM by Soulyss »
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 11:55:48 AM »
Why are there only two of them though?  Shouldn't it be a whole bunch, like the 262 had??

Two different rockets

The Me262 had the R4M rockets

Currently in game the FW190 has the WGr21

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline DaHand

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 11:56:57 AM »
Two different rockets

(Image removed from quote.)

Thank you!

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 12:37:04 PM »

WTG Neo.

:O Didn't realize they were that big.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Zeagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 01:01:15 PM »
WGr21 are mortars..classified as rocket bombs
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 01:15:40 PM by Zeagle »
-Zeagle-
"Black 1"

FW-ISS Bremen

Offline cut67

• Nickel Member
      • 483 BG
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 01:03:42 PM »
Not that hard if they are coming at you shoot 2.0 out and aim a little above them. Behind aim above and shoot 2.0 - 1.5 out and they kill within the vicinity if not damage severely
The bombers give the boom and the fighters give the zoom

Offline STXAce8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 03:38:03 PM »
Two different rockets

Would the R4M explode like the WGr? Or do you have to actually hit the target?
ZLA- Don't Focke Wulf Us!
Ingame: Batz
Kommando Nowotny
Its over the top as Fack

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 03:46:34 PM »
Would the R4M explode like the WGr? Or do you have to actually hit the target?

Your guess as good as mine.
:)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 04:02:26 PM »
WGR21 was fuzed on a timer. R4Ms were impact fuzes. However they flew faster and flatter and were much more lethal, especially when armed on 262s. Late model 190s (A8s for our purposes, I guess) were supposed to have used them as well as 262s. They were very late to the war, first getting a kill I think Feb of 1945.

The WGR21 is "hard to kill" only if you try using it on fighters. Don't. If you are dogfighting, leave the rockets at home. They take a MASSIVE chunk off your top speed and your climb rate. If you're going after fighters take guns only and manuver for a guns shot.

The WGR21s are used only for bombers. Big, lumbering, mostly-stationary targets. The range is about 1.2 to 1.4K, and you have to aim about 500 feet "up" because the mortar drops in an arc. Your speed and your closure rate will change these ranges, naturally, but if you match speed with the target and fly directly behind them, you want to fire just before you have closed to 1.2K, last I recall.

They were also used in the ground attack role. Something I wasn't aware of being too common until recently. They are the equivelant of a 250lb bomb, each. (going by weight, not explosive content).

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 06:35:44 PM »
I agree w/ Krusty: leave them at home unless you KNOW u are hunting bombers.  Get 1.5 hehind them and creep ahead a few seconds.... then let one fly and observe where it "lands" and explodes.  Adjust and fire the other one.  I highly suggest you film your attack and then observe just how close your rockets came.

Also, it helps to know how fast your target can fly.  Are you chasing the B17's are 18k, or the Bostons at 12k?  Ditto for the B29's at 25k or the Mossi B Mk 16 up at 28k.  You want to keep your speed near theirs to be able to minimize the margin or error.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 10:56:53 PM »
I know this is covered in detail around here somewhere, but aren't the rockets on the 190F8 based on the R4M rockets? I'd love to see the R4M added to AH regardless.

I've tried, probably hundreds of times, to use the WGr rockets. While I have had some limited success, I don't think it's any stretch to say that I've killed more enemy planes accidentally with cannons, than I have with the rockets. They're just not, IMO, all that handy in the MA. In a special event, I'd love to give it a shot.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech