Author Topic: Anyone recommend a good nitro buggy under $250  (Read 1195 times)

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Anyone recommend a good nitro buggy under $250
« on: August 04, 2011, 01:07:57 PM »
Okay so I read the reviews on another forum about the forza and apparently shipping and handling with nitrorcx is complete #*%&. People report suspension and tires not being on the car when they open the box and re stocking every month or two. And alot of problem with the gears, I need something that will last and is rugged and still somewhat fast (above 40 mph) thats under at the most $250. Any suggestions? And I want nitro no stupid electric please
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline james

• Silver Member
Re: Anyone recommend a good nitro buggy under $250
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 01:59:08 PM »
You ever break in a nitro motor or care for one? Do it wrong and it wont last you a day.  www.towerhobbies.com might be the way to go for you though.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:01:31 PM by james »
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 02:08:52 PM »
You ever break in a nitro motor or care for one? Do it wrong and it wont last you a day.  www.towerhobbies.com might be the way to go for you though.
No but i've seen tons of tutorials and on you tube a guy sent me a list on the process since there's more than one.

Offline edog1977

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 02:36:59 PM »
I think you will be hard pressed to find a buggy that meets your criteria for under $250.00. 

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 02:59:22 PM »
what I want is something that I mainly drive on road but I can also go off road  with in mainly grass and dirt nothing to rocky

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 04:50:25 PM »
What you're looking for is something called a "car."

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 05:04:11 PM »
What you're looking for is something called a "car."
That isn't being helpful  :rolleyes:

Offline edog1977

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 05:16:56 PM »
The problem with going from road to off road is if you run a buggy with off road tires on the road you will destroy the tires .  So you will need two sets of tires.  I haven't checked lately but I'm guessing a second set of tires and wheels is going to cost $40-$50.  That's 15% of your budget right there. 

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 05:25:37 PM »
If your mission is on-road driving 90% of the time then get something built for on road driving that you can take off road 10% of the time.  Driving through grass and dirt is hardly off-road driving and I've taken a rental Sebring convertible all over a Florida cattle ranch for a week for spur of the moment hog hunt.  It's not an off road vehicle but it'll drive in grass.

I realize budget is a major issue and a regular automobile isn't likely to be in the cards however make sure you familiarize yourself with legal requirements to take such a buggy on the road. (how much land you own can actually effect whether or not it's farm equipment sort of thing) General common sense items like what you'll need to do to not scare grandma driving up the street and how not to get crossed up with the law.  Before you break the rules you're supposed to know them so educate yourself first especially if your main mission will be road use.  I don't know what they are in Georgia.

Like Skuzzy said you'll eat up your off road tires very quickly driving on paved roads.  They're loud, they don't handle well, they're not meant for it and they'll be gone before you know it.  Look into road tires with a relatively aggressive tread pattern that can get you buy driving through your yard if that's all you're going to be doing with it.

You might get a cheap golf cart somewhere too but even those are going to probably be over your budget.

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 05:39:19 PM »
If your mission is on-road driving 90% of the time then get something built for on road driving that you can take off road 10% of the time.  Driving through grass and dirt is hardly off-road driving and I've taken a rental Sebring convertible all over a Florida cattle ranch for a week for spur of the moment hog hunt.  It's not an off road vehicle but it'll drive in grass.

I realize budget is a major issue and a regular automobile isn't likely to be in the cards however make sure you familiarize yourself with legal requirements to take such a buggy on the road. (how much land you own can actually effect whether or not it's farm equipment sort of thing) General common sense items like what you'll need to do to not scare grandma driving up the street and how not to get crossed up with the law.  Before you break the rules you're supposed to know them so educate yourself first especially if your main mission will be road use.  I don't know what they are in Georgia.

Like Skuzzy said you'll eat up your off road tires very quickly driving on paved roads.  They're loud, they don't handle well, they're not meant for it and they'll be gone before you know it.  Look into road tires with a relatively aggressive tread pattern that can get you buy driving through your yard if that's all you're going to be doing with it.

You might get a cheap golf cart somewhere too but even those are going to probably be over your budget.
I meant a nitro buggy in the terms of RC from what your statement says your talking about a real nitro buggy? Sorry for the confusion Golfer I'm kind of in a rush right now i'm going out of state, but I'll be able to see this post from my mobile. If you have any advice in terms of RC nitro driving then that would be extremely helpful. Again sorry for the confusion

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 05:47:31 PM »
Yeah that's the assumption since you were shopping for a kart recently.  I just assumed some little glow motor was installed on whatever you were looking at.

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 06:05:49 PM »
Yeah that's the assumption since you were shopping for a kart recently.  I just assumed some little glow motor was installed on whatever you were looking at.
Yeah the economy prevented my from getting that kart, plus I changed my mind and decided I would rather have my license and car. My dads giving me his 2001 F-150. Still works like a charm after all these years and he has 125,000 miles on it. Only things wrong are the right door won't lock when you hit the switch to lock or unlock the doors and the A/C doesn't work to well even though I have proposed the idea of my dad refilling his refrigerant or coolant or whatever the A/C in cars use. I figured getting a job and drivers was more important than getting a go kart that I would abandon after I got my drivers.

Anyway back to topic this is the lil sucker I was talking about in this post http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c812-stormblue-24ghz.html  Good for beginners but a lot of terrible reviews mixed in with positive reviews. I'm not to sure about what I want now cause I want something that will last but is also easy on the wallet.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 07:49:22 PM »
Okay so I read the reviews on another forum about the forza and apparently shipping and handling with nitrorcx is complete #*%&. People report suspension and tires not being on the car when they open the box and re stocking every month or two. And alot of problem with the gears, I need something that will last and is rugged and still somewhat fast (above 40 mph) thats under at the most $250. Any suggestions? And I want nitro no stupid electric please

go for a 4x4.......tmaxx.  :aok

almost forgot.....there's nothing stupid about electrics. i also have an emaxx......she's not stock, but she's just as fast, if not faster then either of my emaxx's.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:51:07 PM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 08:16:38 PM »
go for a 4x4.......tmaxx.  :aok

almost forgot.....there's nothing stupid about electrics. i also have an emaxx......she's not stock, but she's just as fast, if not faster then either of my emaxx's.
Batteries don't appeal to me. I want to be able to feel and hear the power that only a nitro engine offers. Electrics are fast and powerful but I like the engine appeal over a motor.

Just looked at the emaxx, lil pricy for me plus i'm just starting out. I wouldn't be very pleased with myself if I crashed and destroyed something like that.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 11:16:06 PM »
Batteries don't appeal to me. I want to be able to feel and hear the power that only a nitro engine offers. Electrics are fast and powerful but I like the engine appeal over a motor.

Just looked at the emaxx, lil pricy for me plus i'm just starting out. I wouldn't be very pleased with myself if I crashed and destroyed something like that.

i hear ya. i totaled my stampede.......nearly totaled one of the tmaxx's.....and have crashed countless airplanes.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)