Author Topic: Windows 7 users... i need some quick help  (Read 401 times)

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
Windows 7 users... i need some quick help
« on: August 05, 2011, 08:44:20 PM »
I wasnt going to do it because i cant... but is there anyone with windows seven who can help me on a final? For the final i just have to make stupid little write ups on word, excel, internet, Help, and powerpoint. I can do the help one because i dont have windows 7 on any computer...

What i need done: Can you go to the start menu and select help and support. Then can you search "Home networking" and select the help item for the main steps in installing a printer. Can you copy and paste the steps here. I also need setting up a "homegroup".

If this can be posted by someone, i would greatly appreciate it. If not, then im just not going to submit that part like i was planning.

oh btw, its due by midnight...  :rofl :noid :cheers:
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 7 users... i need some quick help
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 09:47:29 PM »
plug in  printer usb to back of computer.
turn computer and printer on.
drivers will install themselves..

google how to connect printer in win7 for more detailed steps but above is how I connect most everything.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 09:48:47 PM »
plug in  printer usb to back of computer.
turn computer and printer on.
drivers will install themselves..

google how to connect printer in win7 for more detailed steps but above is how I connect most everything.

semp
ya but i have to summarize the exact steps found in the windows 7 help/support area...

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 09:55:38 PM »
     Hope this helps.

Install a printer on a home network

There are two basic ways to make a printer available to the computers on your home network:

Attach it directly to one computer and share it with all the others on a network.

Connect the printer as a stand-alone device on the network itself.

This article explains how to do both in Windows. However, you should always first consult the information that came with your model for specific installation and setup instructions.

If you're just getting started, and you need to install your printer, see Install a printer for information about how to set up your printer.

Setting up a shared printer
Traditionally, the most common way to make a printer available to a home network has been to connect it to one of the computers and then tell Windows to share it. This is called a shared printer.

The advantage of sharing a printer is that it works with any USB printer. The downside? The host computer always has to be powered up, otherwise the rest of the network won't be able to access the shared printer.

In previous versions of Windows, setting up a shared printer could sometimes be tricky. But a new home networking feature in Windows 7 called HomeGroup has greatly simplified the process.

When a network is set up as a homegroup, printers and certain files are automatically shared. To learn more about what homegroups do and how to use them, see HomeGroup: recommended links.

If you've already set up a homegroup and want to access a shared printer from another homegroup computer, just follow these steps:

To manually connect to a homegroup printer
On the computer the printer is physically connected to, click the Start button , and then click Control Panel. In the search box, type homegroup, and then click HomeGroup.

Make sure the Printers check box is selected. (If not, select it, and then click Save changes.)

Go to the computer you want to print from.

Click to open HomeGroup.

Click Install printer.

If you don't already have a driver installed for the printer, click Install driver in the dialog box that appears.

Notes
After the printer is installed, you can access it through the Print dialog box in any program, just like a printer that's directly connected to your computer. The computer that the printer is connected to must be turned on to use the printer.

Homegroups aren't available on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Setting up a network printer
Network printers—devices designed to connect directly to a computer network as a stand-alone device—were once found mostly in large offices.

Today, printer manufacturers are increasingly offering inexpensive inkjet and laser printers that are designed to serve as network printers on home networks. Network printers have one big advantage over shared printers: they're always available.

There are two common types of network printers: wired and wireless.

Wired printers have an Ethernet port, which you connect to your router or hub via an Ethernet cable.

Wireless printers typically connect to your home network using Wi‑Fi or Bluetooth technology.

Some printers offer both options. The instructions that came with your model should tell you exactly how to install it.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 09:58:02 PM »
Create a homegroup

HomeGroup makes it easy to share pictures, music, documents, videos, and printers with other people on your home network. When you set up a computer with this version of Windows, a homegroup is created automatically. But you can also create a homegroup by following these steps:

Go to the Windows website to watch the video. (0:58)

Click to open HomeGroup.

On the Share with other home computers running Windows 7 page, click Create a homegroup, and then follow the instructions.

Notes
If a homegroup already exists on your network, Windows will ask if you would like to join it instead of creating a new one.

If you don't have a home network, you'll need to set one up before creating a homegroup. For more information, see Setting up a home network in Windows 7.

If your computer belongs to a domain, you can join a homegroup but you can't create one. You can access files and resources on other homegroup computers, but you can't share your own files and resources with the homegroup.

The Share with other home computers running Windows 7 page

After you create a homegroup, you must add other computers to it so that you can access shared libraries and printers.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 10:00:48 PM »
THANK YOU VERY MUCH RINO! Thats just what i needed!

this is one of those stupid "college needs some money" classes and the class is required for pro-pilots yet all we do is copy stuff out of the book and into Word or powerpoint or any other office programs. Plus it has absolutely nothing to do with pilots.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:02:48 PM by flight17 »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 12:38:37 AM »
Most colleges you can get MS Office for about 10 bucks
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 12:55:53 AM »
open office is free and you can save/open to ms office.

also if you want to know anything about win7 goto win7 support online.  everything is there.  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 01:40:27 PM »
open office is free and you can save/open to ms office.

also if you want to know anything about win7 goto win7 support online.  everything is there.  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help

semp
office 2010 i got for free... thats not the problem... i had to use the actual help and support feature in windows seven that is located in the start menu. I dont run windows seven so i couldnt get the info. I looked on window's site, but i couldnt find the info there either. but its done with anyways...