Author Topic: Hiding Carriers  (Read 16333 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Hiding Carriers
« Reply #315 on: August 12, 2011, 02:10:34 PM »
IFF can identify enemy aircraft, RADAR however cannot. Radar is simply a detection device, not an IFF system in and of itself. Point is even now our radar can't dicern which aircraft are friendly and which are hostile. A seperate IFF system is needed for that. Yet our AH radar can, which gives interceptor aircraft an unrealistic advantage (In real life there would be CAP aircraft overhead as well as long-range patrol aircraft which would give attackers a chance to slip in undetected).

And Seph, I mean AAA fire as in the auto puffy, such as you would see from large caliber FlaK cannons.

1) 262's have most of 30-45 minutes to up and intercept depending on the location of the CV. Ar234's high speed means that there is almost 0 room for error. Even a slight change in the heading of the CV is enough to ensure at least 1 or more bombs miss the target. Regular bombers fly much slower meaning the intercept time can strech to an hour and a half depending. Even if you shoot the attackers down, the same ones will be back 10 minutes later.

2) no, its a seperate issue. 1) deals with unrealistic identification and information on the attackers. 2) deals with unrealistic tracking and interception. I could also expand on this and say that Airbases were few and far between in real life, the interceptors might have had to fly upto 100 miles to intercept the attackers.

3) AAA fire as in Puffy ack, from the 5" guns.

4) Bombers HAVE to fly strait, dumby, by the nature of their design and missions they have to. JABO aircraft would be less effective. An attacker can force them to ditch ordnance, rendering them useless.

5) I've seen that they are. Even if there isn't anyone in the guns, I've yet to see a captured carrier without someone in the tower waiting to send out an alert.

Please respond and adress the issues, rather than trying to let others solve them with answers that aren't relevant to a WWII time period, or stating that there is simply something wrong with the tactics I'm using.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #316 on: August 12, 2011, 02:24:55 PM »
I apologize that I can not be on the bbs 24 hours a day to beat others to a response. I'm so sorry. I humbly apologize for having a life outside of AH.  :salute

1. I can hit them just fine in 234's when I feel up to it, but I prefer fighting it out with fighter jocks from my B17. The term lanc-stuka can be applied to the B17, just...not "lanc".. Load up some big boom stick, dive down and drop it. Not difficult. ;)

2. The entire game has this system. It is not CV specific. This is a GAME not real life. It's been mentioned several times in this thread.

3. This sticks to my replies in the ack thread, however; I do agree that flak should diminish as ships go down/guns destroyed. I personally love auto puffy.

4. That's right. Insult me.  :aok I'm in a Heavy Bomber Squadron, and a B17 fanatic, I'm pretty sure I have an idea on how they need to fly. Remember this though: This is a game, and you can do things that you normally wouldn't/couldn't.

5. That is a personal experience that I have yet to partake in apparently.

Let's toss a new idea out there: Before taking a port, find someone who likes to volunteer and send them out to search for the CV BEFORE hitting the port. Sink it, THEN smash the port ASAP (i.e. have the port assault already up and inbound). Quick 1-2 punch and things change quick. Most of the time a CV chills around the port until the port gets swarmed.

So, I have responded to the issues - AGAIN - and I got to do it first this time. Keep fighting that losing battle. I'll be sure to reply every time.
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #317 on: August 12, 2011, 02:27:51 PM »
Please answer the issues I have listed, in a manner that demonstrates that sinking a captured CV 300 to 400 miles away isn't the problem that it really is.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #318 on: August 12, 2011, 02:56:30 PM »
I apologize that I can not be on the bbs 24 hours a day to beat others to a response. I'm so sorry. I humbly apologize for having a life outside of AH.  :salute

1. I can hit them just fine in 234's when I feel up to it, but I prefer fighting it out with fighter jocks from my B17. The term lanc-stuka can be applied to the B17, just...not "lanc".. Load up some big boom stick, dive down and drop it. Not difficult. ;)

2. The entire game has this system. It is not CV specific. This is a GAME not real life. It's been mentioned several times in this thread.

3. This sticks to my replies in the ack thread, however; I do agree that flak should diminish as ships go down/guns destroyed. I personally love auto puffy.

4. That's right. Insult me.  :aok I'm in a Heavy Bomber Squadron, and a B17 fanatic, I'm pretty sure I have an idea on how they need to fly. Remember this though: This is a game, and you can do things that you normally wouldn't/couldn't.

5. That is a personal experience that I have yet to partake in apparently.

Let's toss a new idea out there: Before taking a port, find someone who likes to volunteer and send them out to search for the CV BEFORE hitting the port. Sink it, THEN smash the port ASAP (i.e. have the port assault already up and inbound). Quick 1-2 punch and things change quick. Most of the time a CV chills around the port until the port gets swarmed.

So, I have responded to the issues - AGAIN - and I got to do it first this time. Keep fighting that losing battle. I'll be sure to reply every time.

You should be ashamed. I thought all our Marines were connected in the field. Even in a fire fight you should receive some kind of notification. Priorities young man... priorities.   :neener:
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #319 on: August 12, 2011, 03:04:57 PM »

OK the plan you describe depends on alot of ifs. first off finding a Volunteer, at times that can be hard but squads might have one or two guys.

secondly depending on where the assault force is lifting off from you're expecting them to stay aloft until the bomber or bombers find and sink the Carrier, this could be 2 to 4 to who knows how many sectors away (Carriers respawn in 10 Min's) then dash in and Kill the Field in under 10 Min's, now you have to keep the attacking force under DAR to avoid detection and out of the radar ring or you would Flash the Port, then you'll get GV's upping like mad. the plan just wouldn't work, it's backwards of how it's normally done as soon as the CV went down smart people are going to be in the tower at that port looking for the Port to be attacked.

The Smart way and the way Ive been doing it for 8+ years as well as many other people is you go in and destroy the port and take it. now you have two options either wait for it to be destroyed in some battle or go look for it and destroy it, then once you have it back put the dam thing into Play.  :salute
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:07:17 PM by 68ZooM »
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #320 on: August 12, 2011, 06:19:32 PM »
Deliberatly exploiting bugs should get you muted if not banned from this game IMO. Hiding a CV in a sector that is riddled with a bug that causes you to die or not cause damage is in its own way cheating the players of their fun.  NO different than jumping countries and yelling out cords to where it is.

Promote interaction and dont try to run away from it. ALL CVs, if inactive deep in freindly territory should be displayed to all countries to give the objective to come sink it if they choose too. It will then give everyone something to do
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #321 on: August 12, 2011, 06:32:27 PM »
IFF can identify enemy aircraft, RADAR however cannot. Radar is simply a detection device, not an IFF system in and of itself. Point is even now our radar can't dicern which aircraft are friendly and which are hostile. A seperate IFF system is needed for that.

Angels on pinheads.  Radar screen (today) paints the transponder code next to the target.  The operator very clearly sees which targets are friendly and which are not.

Anyone know what the WWII radar showed?

- oldman

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #322 on: August 12, 2011, 07:12:55 PM »
You're not getting it. RADAR, even todays radar, doesn't identify enemy aircraft for you. Thats not to say radar can't be linked to an IFF system, but thats a completly different discussion about our futuristic late 20th century IFF systems in a late 1945 (at the latest) setting.

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #323 on: August 12, 2011, 07:18:49 PM »
Quote from: Superfly on Yesterday at 09:51:50 AM
The rules are simple:  Don't be a dick.

I think this sums up the whole thread. I would say this is a genius comment.

I take this to mean whatever you do with the CV groups don't be a dick.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #324 on: August 13, 2011, 05:25:39 PM »
Please answer the issues I have listed, in a manner that demonstrates that sinking a captured CV 300 to 400 miles away isn't the problem that it really is.
:huh I did. -_-

[EDIT:] Let me break it down "Barney style": People in this game will fly 300 miles for a dog fight. If they'll do that, then there shouldn't be an issue with smacking a CV. If you're too lazy to find the target and take it out, you don't deserve the target. That discussion just died. RIGHT there.

Just like if you're too lazy to get out of the damn chair, you won't ever get in shape and you don't deserve the benefits of a healthy lifestyle. You don't deserve a CV if you aren't going to put out the effort to look for it and wipe it out. /edit
You should be ashamed. I thought all our Marines were connected in the field. Even in a fire fight you should receive some kind of notification. Priorities young man... priorities.   :neener:
haha Roger that! :P  :salute

OK the plan you describe depends on alot of ifs. first off finding a Volunteer, at times that can be hard but squads might have one or two guys.

secondly depending on where the assault force is lifting off from you're expecting them to stay aloft until the bomber or bombers find and sink the Carrier, this could be 2 to 4 to who knows how many sectors away (Carriers respawn in 10 Min's) then dash in and Kill the Field in under 10 Min's, now you have to keep the attacking force under DAR to avoid detection and out of the radar ring or you would Flash the Port, then you'll get GV's upping like mad. the plan just wouldn't work, it's backwards of how it's normally done as soon as the CV went down smart people are going to be in the tower at that port looking for the Port to be attacked.

The Smart way and the way Ive been doing it for 8+ years as well as many other people is you go in and destroy the port and take it. now you have two options either wait for it to be destroyed in some battle or go look for it and destroy it, then once you have it back put the dam thing into Play.  :salute
It could work, but I'm thinking it would take 2 squads to get it done. That's why it was just a new idea to be tossed out. Normally I'll help take a port and then go off and find something else to take. A lot of the time I forget CV's even exist.  :lol  :salute
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:30:32 PM by MarineUS »
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #325 on: August 13, 2011, 05:32:42 PM »

I guess the question is, is there more "dickitude" (the term is trademarked) in CV hiding or announcing the CV's location on 200 so the enemy can sink it.  The way I see it, both actions deny the use of the CV to your country mates. 

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #326 on: August 13, 2011, 05:36:34 PM »
:huh I did. -_-

[EDIT:] Let me break it down "Barney style": People in this game will fly 300 miles for a dog fight.

Who do you know, exactly, that flies 12-14 sectors one way for a dogfight? Unless the grid segments are no longer 25x25miles.

Now I've seen CV's hidden long distances like this tho. And on occasion a huge bomber mission, or the noob who wants to kill the HQ by himself, but never fighters on the regular.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #327 on: August 13, 2011, 06:22:02 PM »
dude, that would be the equivilant of flying across the entire continent on which you're chess piece country is located on any map.  NO ONE flys 300 miles for a fight, as there is always a fight within 100 miles of the nearest airbase. Often within 40 miles.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #328 on: August 13, 2011, 07:12:06 PM »

Really Agent, don't be a dick. :rolleyes:
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #329 on: August 13, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
:lawl
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek