Author Topic: Spixteen perked ?  (Read 23565 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Spixteen perked ?
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2011, 11:27:09 PM »
All I have to say is that if the allies get 150 octane fuel, the Germans should get the methanol boost.
They already do.

That said, nobody is suggesting that 150 octane will be modeled.

I do think it should be modeled for the Spitfire Mk XIV if it is to remain a perk plane though.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2011, 12:10:36 AM »
I agree with you Karnak on most of your points but I'd like to point out that the 'real' spit 16 saw very little combat. What we have in game is mis labeled. Its not a spit 16, its a very late war spit 9 variant (I believe its a IXe).

Ardy, if you believe that, then the 190D9 saw little combat and the Ta152 none at all :)  Spit XIV was in combat in the spring of 44.  Spit XVI in the Fall of 44.  D9 was October 44, TA in the Spring of 45.

The 109K 4 appeared at the same time as the Spit XVI.  We're gonna have to define 'a little combat' a bit better :)

For the 1000th time.  The Spitfire XVIe is identical to the Spitfire LFIXe.  Same airframe.  I can post back to back serial numbered Spits, the first an IX and the next an XVI.  Only difference was if they put a Packard Merlin 266 in it or a Rolls Merlin 66. 
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2011, 12:22:16 AM »
This.

EZ Planes:

Spits, N1Ks, P51Ds, Typhoons, HurriC, Zero

Non-EZ Planes (Yet still LW competitive):

P38s, 109s, 190s (Fighting in them), C205, Mosquito, Yaks

I figured I'd make the official list so there is no confusion.   :neener: @ Ez Moders
Make no mistake, just because you fly an easy plane does not make you any less skilled.  Inversely, flying a Non-EZ plane does not make you any more skilled (Ahem, FlyinFin).

I don't consider a Zero to be an EZ plane for the simple reason of armor.  1 or 2 well placed 50 cal rounds will end up flaming the plane or knocking off a part.  It does not sponge damage well at all, so takes a lot of SA to fly with any sort of success...  Yes, it's nimble in a turn and has decent climb, however, if you don't handle it nicely it'll bleed E quickly, and the best you can hope for is spoiling 1 or 2 passes, not getting a kill.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2011, 01:11:38 AM »
Ardy, if you believe that, then the 190D9 saw little combat and the Ta152 none at all :) 

Oh I agree the TA-512 saw next to no combat.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2011, 01:18:45 AM »
I'd like to see the Fw-190 D11 introduced as a perk plane someday.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2011, 01:20:56 AM »
Oh I agree the TA-512 saw next to no combat.

But the point is, the XVI is as much of a combat vet as the 109K4, D9 etc.  I wish whoever it was that posted that totally inaccurate information about the Spit XVI way back when had taken two minutes to do a little research.  It's amazing how that little piece of BS has been perpetuated in AH :)

So which is the IX and which is the XVI? :)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 01:27:30 AM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2011, 01:32:17 AM »
Ardy, if you believe that, then the 190D9 saw little combat and the Ta152 none at all :)  Spit XIV was in combat in the spring of 44.  Spit XVI in the Fall of 44.  D9 was October 44, TA in the Spring of 45.

The 109K 4 appeared at the same time as the Spit XVI.  We're gonna have to define 'a little combat' a bit better :)

For the 1000th time.  The Spitfire XVIe is identical to the Spitfire LFIXe.  Same airframe.  I can post back to back serial numbered Spits, the first an IX and the next an XVI.  Only difference was if they put a Packard Merlin 266 in it or a Rolls Merlin 66. 

Jan 45 152
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2011, 01:34:41 AM »
I'd like to see the Fw-190 D11 introduced as a perk plane someday.

I wish for the 152 c.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2011, 01:46:35 AM »
I don't consider a Zero to be an EZ plane for the simple reason of armor.  1 or 2 well placed 50 cal rounds will end up flaming the plane or knocking off a part.  It does not sponge damage well at all, so takes a lot of SA to fly with any sort of success...  Yes, it's nimble in a turn and has decent climb, however, if you don't handle it nicely it'll bleed E quickly, and the best you can hope for is spoiling 1 or 2 passes, not getting a kill.

I don't see any skilled pilots flying zeros, yet I see droves of newbs flying zeros.  That says enough about it right there.  Fact is, it is flown in furballs and is simply just an ez mode pick machine.

The zero was just one EZ mode plane on my list anyways.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2011, 01:47:12 AM »
Jan 45 152

That would be about three months after the Spit XVI and you are talking about it going to a unit for conversion training, not combat.  The 152 saw very little combat, depending on which source you use, you are talking 7 or 8 kills for 4 losses.

I'm not saying the 152 didn't see some combat.  I'm  just using it as an example of how silly it is to suggest the Spit XVI saw little combat.  In terms of sorties flown and aircraft in squadron use, the 152 is tiny compared to the Spit XVI.  Air to Air claims would be far in the XVI's favor as well.  The 403 Squadron RCAF Spit XVI we have skinned in game had 3 to it's credit and it did that in less then a month of active flying being delivered to 403 Squadron on April 19, 1945.  It had previously been with 66 Squadron.  All of it's kills were with 403 in the last month of the war.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2011, 01:48:35 AM »
I wish for the 152 c.

And how many 152C's made it to production, much less to a combat unit?  Would that be...none? :)

I'll be begging for my 100 production Spitfire XII's before that happens! 
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2011, 02:01:14 AM »
Saw B-17's post about posting activity and checked mine.  Turns out you can go back and look at what you posted.  Is it not surprising that my 2nd post on the AH BBS in July 2001 was about Spitfire LFIXe and LFXVI being identical except for the producer of the engines!  10 #$%#%@ years of this same stupid stuff! :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2011, 02:10:59 AM »
They already do.

That said, nobody is suggesting that 150 octane will be modeled.

I do think it should be modeled for the Spitfire Mk XIV if it is to remain a perk plane though.

Then the A5 is just plain underpowered. It could do 352mph on the deck.

And what was the preformance of the 14 with 150 octane?
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2011, 02:17:30 AM »
From www.wwiiaircraftperformance.o rg

+21lbs boost, the rating 150 octane gave it during the war:

+25lbs boost would be fun, but it wasn't cleared for it during the war:
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2011, 08:18:07 AM »
The war wasnt fought by spit14s on 150 octane...
Imagine that plane: 400mph otd, possibly about 470 at altitude (just speculation), can turn around in 16 seconds on an 550 yards circle, has dual hizookas + 2 MGs, can climb with about 5500feet/min...
That would be perked to 100. The spit14 in that config would beat the Tempy in everything but guns.
AoM
City of ice