Author Topic: Spixteen perked ?  (Read 23553 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Spixteen perked ?
« Reply #180 on: August 10, 2011, 08:26:38 PM »
So we are in agreement that the Spit16 is an EZ ride?

For someone who has a clue what they are doing it can be.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2011, 08:50:11 PM »
how you feel about lala's?   :noid  :banana:  :neener: :bolt:

love it when they actually fight :D

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #182 on: August 10, 2011, 09:42:10 PM »
I responded to your idea by pointing out that you were gravely misinformed about the operation requirements of the aircraft you were speaking of.  That you are ignoring the feedback doesn't speak well for your position.Do you have a primary source or an article/book referencing a primary source on that?  I've never heard of 30mm gondolas on Bf109s.

Well...  to speak to the 1st...  I didn't ignore it at all.  I had to put up with 12 pages of people arguing whether it was a spitfire IX or XVI...  Besides, by the time the theatre of operation you speak of had spixteens on site, the US was taking up most of the fight on the islands, and there was very little landbased operations going on in the pacific...  Neither the british, the aussies nor any other allied power offered anything close to a full strength force in the pacific to constitute it as being a main theatre for those powers.

To the second point...  no, it's been a while since I read up on the K4 variant, and I cannot place the actual first time I've heard of this.  Wiki states that there were 20mm gun pods, however Wiki is neither accurate nor reliable...  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Bf_109_variants)  .I'll try and get back up to Montana some time and visit the Library where I checked out the majority of my books on WWII and put together a bibliography for you...  Mind you, I started reading about WWII in second grade w/ The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, so I've got a somewhat extensive list of books to re-read, but I'll do so just for you...

Troll

"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2011, 09:54:10 PM »
Well...  to speak to the 1st...  I didn't ignore it at all.  I had to put up with 12 pages of people arguing whether it was a spitfire IX or XVI...  Besides, by the time the theatre of operation you speak of had spixteens on site, the US was taking up most of the fight on the islands, and there was very little landbased operations going on in the pacific...  Neither the british, the aussies nor any other allied power offered anything close to a full strength force in the pacific to constitute it as being a main theatre for those powers.

???

You seem confused.  Spitfire Mk XVIs only operated in Europe.  It was the Mk XIVs that were sent to Burma.  Maybe you are unaware of the CBI theater, but it was still active when the Japanese surrendered in Sept. of 1945, so no, the fact that the US was busy island hopping does not change the fact that Spitfire Mk XIVs, which you seem to think were so advanced they couldn't operate outside of England, were flying from rough fields in Burma.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2011, 10:18:15 PM »
My Very Opinionated Version of  "EASY MODE" :

1. Low stall speed at all angles.

2. Turns on a dime, even at low air speed.

3. Climb rate above average or better

4. Responds to extreme pilot inputs at any attitude.

5. Easy stall recovery.

6. Hi Caliper Weapons

HL

Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2011, 10:28:40 PM »
Karnak, hes talking about the 109K-14 with wingmounted 30mm's. Luftwaffe never used gondola mounted 30mm's as far as I know.

Would love to fight you INK, but that doesn't say anything about the 190 in and of itself. Really wish they would fix the 190A5's ata limit, and get rid of the extra 500kg the A8 is carrying.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #186 on: August 10, 2011, 10:34:27 PM »
My Very Opinionated Version of  "EASY MODE" :

1. Low stall speed at all angles.

2. Turns on a dime, even at low air speed.

3. Climb rate above average or better

4. Responds to extreme pilot inputs at any attitude.

5. Easy stall recovery.

6. Hi Caliper Weapons

You just described the spitfire.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #187 on: August 10, 2011, 10:35:41 PM »
+1.

Also described the Niki, and Hurricane IIC and D near enough.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #188 on: August 10, 2011, 10:36:51 PM »
lol sounded more like the Brewster to me, those are one annoying plane to fight.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #189 on: August 10, 2011, 10:43:04 PM »
Karnak, hes talking about the 109K-14 with wingmounted 30mm's. Luftwaffe never used gondola mounted 30mm's as far as I know.
You mean wing mounted 20mm, right?  I am unaware of the 30mm ever being mounted on the wings of any Bf109.

Also, he seemed pretty sure of himself in listing it as the Bf109K-4.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: August 10, 2011, 11:09:38 PM »
I mean 30mm; it was a proposed heavy fighter. Hes either refering the K-6 or the K-14, but hes certinaly not refering the K-4.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #191 on: August 11, 2011, 12:59:13 AM »
You mean wing mounted 20mm, right?  I am unaware of the 30mm ever being mounted on the wings of any Bf109.

Also, he seemed pretty sure of himself in listing it as the Bf109K-4.

As I stated originaly, a K-4 Variant... should have said a K variant, my apologies.

As for your whole burma chub... the spitfire mark ivx and xvi were two planes out of a group I mentioned.  They may have operated out of Burma, but when?  Was it when the British still had their manpower against the Nazis, or was it in a show of "hey, we had your back" at the end of the war when there was little to nothing to do in that theatre of operation?  Sorry to say, the Brits and French folded in the pacific, and even the Russians didn't do squat until we'd already krippled the prey.

USA!
USA!
USA!

[EDIT: In regards to your other comment to which I'd already addressed]

Well...  to speak to the 1st...  I didn't ignore it at all.  I had to put up with 12 pages of people arguing whether it was a spitfire IX or XVI...  Besides, by the time the theatre of operation you speak of had spixteens on site, the US was taking up most of the fight on the islands, and there was very little landbased operations going on in the pacific...  Neither the british, the aussies nor any other allied power offered anything close to a full strength force in the pacific to constitute it as being a main theatre for those powers.

To the second point...  no, it's been a while since I read up on the K4 variant, and I cannot place the actual first time I've heard of this.  Wiki states that there were 20mm gun pods, however Wiki is neither accurate nor reliable...  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Bf_109_variants)  .I'll try and get back up to Montana some time and visit the Library where I checked out the majority of my books on WWII and put together a bibliography for you...  Mind you, I started reading about WWII in second grade w/ The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, so I've got a somewhat extensive list of books to re-read, but I'll do so just for you...

Troll

[Edit #2]

Troll
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:05:28 AM by wil3ur »
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2011, 01:16:05 AM »
As I stated originaly, a K-4 Variant... should have said a K variant, my apologies.

As for your whole burma chub... the spitfire mark ivx and xvi were two planes out of a group I mentioned.  They may have operated out of Burma, but when?  Was it when the British still had their manpower against the Nazis, or was it in a show of "hey, we had your back" at the end of the war when there was little to nothing to do in that theatre of operation?  Sorry to say, the Brits and French folded in the pacific, and even the Russians didn't do squat until we'd already krippled the prey.

USA!
USA!
USA!

[EDIT: In regards to your other comment to which I'd already addressed]

[Edit #2]

Troll

LOL you are quite wrong about the China Burma India airwar.  I wouldn't even know where to start you are so off.   I guess the best I can suggest is spend some money on Christopher Shore's trilogy on the airwar there.    Spit XVIs never went to the Pacific.  The VIII was meant for overseas use and was the one that went to the PTO and CBI along with MTO.  The XVI operated out of England and on the continent.  The XIV got to the CBI right at the end.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2011, 01:21:00 AM »

USA!
USA!
USA!

Seeing as you seem to be a know nothing and proud of it, how about you go read up on the CBI theater.  The CBI theater was there for the whole war as the Japanese tried to advance into India.  It was not as significant as other fronts, but some of the most brutal fighting of the war in the most unpleasant environments happened there.  Mostly Commonwealth and British forces, but some American units too.

The Tempest, Spitfire Mk XIV and Spitfire Mk XVI all operated from forward bases in Europe as the Allies advanced.  The B-29 operated from rudimentary airfields in India and China before it flew from Pacific islands.  The Me163 and Ta152 are not usable case studies as Germany didn't have any distant, rudimentary fields left when they came into service.  There, I think that covers the aircraft you mentioned.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #194 on: August 11, 2011, 01:28:28 AM »
Germany went and ticked Russia off. If the Non-agression treaty had held, I'm sure Stalin would have turned his attention to China as soon as Finnland was down for the count.

And Russia had literally just a few months to decide how it wanted to carve up occupied Germany and the rest of Eastern Europe. Settle on which troops to take out of the occupation force to send against Japan, actually MOVE them, transport them to the Russian Far East, draw up a plan, and then build up the needed logistical support before the USA hit them with the A-bomb.

You seem to have NO idea, not even a clue, how hard it is to move armies around when its more than just marks on a map.