Author Topic: Voice through headphones and effects through speakers.  (Read 395 times)

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
Voice through headphones and effects through speakers.
« on: August 11, 2011, 07:50:38 PM »
OK, I've finally got my hardware set up the way I want it.  What I have is this...

HD Audio going to 7.1 Surround speakers through the back panel.

AC97 headphones and mic coming in through the front panel.

I'm running an Asus P8P67 with Realtek sound on it, with Win XP 64 bit.

What I'd like to happen is - have all sound effects come through my speakers, and have radio transmissions come through the headphones.  Kinda like a real plane

It seems this should be very straightforward in Aces High, since in the Sound menu I can choose Speakers or Headphones for voice and for sound effects.  However - no matter what I choose, everything comes through every channel.

Any assistance would be most appreciated!

Paul

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Voice through headphones and effects through speakers.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:08:20 PM »
Windows XP?

You're a brave... one.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 08:33:30 PM »
  That I know of, 1 sound-card can't take 2 Sound Sources and split them into different Outputs.  I'm pretty sure it requires two sound-cards (or 2 sound-devices such as a USB Headset), one to be labelled "Headphones" and one to be labelled "Speakers".  Since Windows sees all output locations from Card 1 as a single output it routes all sound directed at that card through all outputs connected to it.  So I think to have sounds like you want you will either need a second sound-card or a USB Headset.
  I could be completely wrong too, so maybe someone will confirm/deny that. :)

I know to run my sounds like you want I use an on-board sound-card ('Headphones") for the AH Vox and all Voice Comms I use, and the add-on sound-card ("Speakers") runs my 5.1 speakers for the Game sounds, Music, General use, etc.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 08:47:25 AM »
1701E nailed it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 09:16:12 AM »
Hey guys - got it figured out.  It doesn't take two sound cards - I had to reinstall my mmdriver file (or at least, I did reinstall it, whether I had to or not I don't know).  I then ran the realtek audio manager and enabled Multistreaming in the mixer options (click on the little wrench icon).  Then a reboot.  This gives Aces High a second Realtek Audio Output option.  I set up the headphones to output to that.  I had to then exit Aces High and reload it and - lo and behold, I can put whatever audio stream to whatever output I want.

And let me say, the effect of having voice on my headphones and all other sounds from the speakers is really cool.  I no longer have to have the volume drop to understand voice transmissions.  Now I can crank the subwoofer till the house shakes.  And I am!

Paul

Also, for the record, running XP64 doesn't mean I'm brave.  It means I'm smart...  ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 09:18:38 AM by Stellaris »