Author Topic: Analyze This: QPM vs. grizz Venn  (Read 4512 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Analyze This: QPM vs. grizz Venn
« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2011, 03:34:04 PM »
Hey Tango, how bout you stop doing this math crap and get back in the game  ;)  :D  :aok
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2011, 04:05:57 PM »
Hey Tango, how bout you stop doing this math crap and get back in the game  ;)  :D  :aok
:D  I can't afford it right now.  I'm house broke ;).  I've even resorted to taking my own lunchee's to work everyday.  Thanks for the encouragement though brutha Nef :aok.
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #137 on: August 16, 2011, 06:44:36 PM »
Infusing the topic with areo-geek maths of power-to-weight, wing-loading, & max level speed...grizz, I see your venn diagram and raise you a....

...Quasi Performance Meter....   :devil

(Image removed from quote.)

Here's how you read it.....

As for "EZ" vs. "hard", here's my take on it  :devil :devil :devil

Please debate among yourselves...

:aok  Happy hat for you!

-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2011, 10:40:59 PM »
:aok  Happy hat for you!

No, no you've got the wrong metaphor.  Star Wars >>>>> Star Trek.  They know their physics.  Let me help you.  This is better.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:42:30 PM by dtango »
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Fox

• Copper Member
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2011, 04:56:55 PM »
I played around with the data a little more this weekend.  I wasn't able to use the file dtango sent for some reason, so I just used the data from DokGonzo's site and added a few more planes.

This table shows the planes rank ordered for max sea level speed, time to accelerate from 150-200 mph, and best turn radius.  The top 10 of each category were highlighted.  No planes rank in the top 10 for all three categories.  Only 4 planes rank in the top 10 for two categories: the Tempest, La-7, Bf109K-4 and Spit 14.

I graphed the planes that were highlighted in the table (meaning they were in the top 10 for speed, acceleration, turn radius).  I combined acceleration into speed and turn radius to make a 2D graph, instead of the 3D I made before. 

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2011, 05:19:11 PM »
I see an error :old:

the F4U-1A, Yak-9U, and the P51-B all do 358 SL speed yet they are ranked 10 , 11, 12, respectively, they should all be ranked "10" or whatever "358" falls under.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2011, 05:58:03 PM »
I see an error :old:

the F4U-1A, Yak-9U, and the P51-B all do 358 SL speed yet they are ranked 10 , 11, 12, respectively, they should all be ranked "10" or whatever "358" falls under.

actually, I'd think a secondary sorting based on accel would rank them within 358, meaning the hog would drop down below the pony.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2011, 06:13:27 PM »
actually, I'd think a secondary sorting based on accel would rank them within 358, meaning the hog would drop down below the pony.

I agree, but they all should be totaled equally......maybe I am looking at it wrong...if the totals are combined, or what ever math is used, the planes with the same speed is the first equation...so they should be scored equally if the do the same exact speed.....

ahhhhhhhhhhhgggggggggghhhhhhh hhhh   this is why I am an artist  :o

Offline Fox

• Copper Member
« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2011, 09:03:46 PM »
You are correct about the ranking, they should be the same if the attribute is the same.  I only did the ranking to narrow the planes down to a manageable number.  Originally I had this as a 3D graph, with acceleration on the third axis.  The 3d graph is hard to see without being to rotate it, so I attempted to convert it into a 2D graph.  To do so I divided speed by acceleration and multiplied best radius times acceleration.  The data used to create the graph doesn't have anything to do with the rankings.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2011, 09:20:51 PM »
The Mosquito does 357mph on the deck, not 339.  That looks like a speed from the old Mosquito, before it was updated graphically and got its new flight model.  I believe it also accelerates/climbs a bit better as well.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:53:29 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Fox

• Copper Member
« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2011, 10:14:47 PM »
The numbers I used are dated because they came from DokGonzo's site.

I have made several different graphs trying to see how the 10 best planes compare based on the three categories mentionied before.  The graph below shows speed vs turn radius without factoring in acceleration.  I haven't cleaned it up, so some of the names overlap.

I'm not trying to make any claims about which planes are better or which attributes are more important.  I simply made some graphs for different planes using data I found and I thought I would post in case anyone finds interesting.  I only got the idea because of dtango, so this is all his fault.

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2011, 12:24:37 PM »
I'm not trying to make any claims about which planes are better or which attributes are more important.

C'mon, have a take.  What's not to enjoy about starting intardnet fights with rabid airplane fanboyz deluded by non-sensical, self inflating opinions of what is or is not "EZ"?  ;)

I simply made some graphs for different planes using data I found and I thought I would post in case anyone finds interesting.  I only got the idea because of dtango, so this is all his fault.

Yes, you've discovered I make a good substitute as a speed bump for a bus.

Just remember- Instead, everyone will die for his own sin; whoever eats sour grapes--his own teeth will be set on edge.  (Jeremiah 31:30)
:D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:26:08 PM by dtango »

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2011, 06:08:20 PM »
I agree, but they all should be totaled equally......maybe I am looking at it wrong...if the totals are combined, or what ever math is used, the planes with the same speed is the first equation...so they should be scored equally if the do the same exact speed.....

ahhhhhhhhhhhgggggggggghhhhhhh hhhh   this is why I am an artist  :o

Drafting, Landscape Design, Irrigation Engineering - all a bunch of fancy terms for sitting on my butt all day only drawing lines, arcs and cirles.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2011, 08:27:04 PM »
Drafting, Landscape Design, Irrigation Engineering - all a bunch of fancy terms for sitting on my butt all day only drawing lines, arcs and cirles.

:D

drafting was fun, I was quite good at that when I was young.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #149 on: August 24, 2011, 03:26:53 AM »
Tango,

About the FM arguments and talking about physics in general,

Just a general comment...

Never underestimate the power of idiots in large groups. :D Morons can saturate any BBS if they have the time in their hands to do so. As tragic as it may be. :(
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!