Author Topic: Compressor/Decompressor(codec)  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
Compressor/Decompressor(codec)
« on: August 16, 2011, 12:10:25 AM »
Not sure if this really belongs here since it's in no way game related but here it is..

I purchased Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 a couple days ago and went about making a slideshow with some pictures I already had. I tried to set some music to go along with the slideshow and it said my system didn't have the required compressor/decompressor(codec) installed. I have two questions about that.

1) What is that?

2) Where can I get that?

Any help will be very much appreciated!
someone named pervert is thanking someone named badboy for a enjoyable night?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Compressor/Decompressor(codec)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 01:14:18 AM »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:07:34 PM »
After downloading that I still get the same error message when I try to add audio to the slideshow..

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:53:48 PM »
After downloading that I still get the same error message when I try to add audio to the slideshow..

In which format are you trying to save the audio? See if your Photoshop has an audio tab and selections, perhaps you can change *someexoticcodec* to mp3 or ogg for example.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 01:02:56 PM »
Adobe said it wrong.

A codec is a coder/decoder.  In the context they didn't necessarily get it completely wrong but a codec works equally well whether or not compressing/decompressing files is part of the operation.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:05:47 PM »
In which format are you trying to save the audio? See if your Photoshop has an audio tab and selections, perhaps you can change *someexoticcodec* to mp3 or ogg for example.

I'm trying to add a .WMA sound file that was Downloaded from Napster. But I will see if I can convert it to an .mp3.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 01:08:45 PM »
I'm trying to add a .WMA sound file that was Downloaded from Napster. But I will see if I can convert it to an .mp3.

Yep that may do the trick. If all else fails you can try importing the audio in regular .wav format - but your slideshow will probably grow several megabytes in size.

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 01:19:03 PM »
Yep that may do the trick. If all else fails you can try importing the audio in regular .wav format - but your slideshow will probably grow several megabytes in size.

Finally got it to open the audio file, then Napster blocked it's usage  :bhead :bhead  :cry

This has went from a simple 1 hour project to now this is the 3rd day of trying to get an audio file on it lol

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 02:32:10 PM »
Long description short: The Codec is the instruction manual on how to read then play the music (or video, but we'll use music in this case). It reads the sheet music that says "Put a note here, a voice here, etc" and the end result is the complete song.

So you have the sheet music but if you don't have a musician that can read it, you can't play the sound file. Maybe not the best analogy... Let's change that to include: Many can READ the music, but to write the songs is harder and takes a songwriter. The CODEC is the songwriter. The playback (MPlayer, etc) is the average musician.

The benefit is that you save tons of hard drive space (and bandwidth).

You don't often need the CODEC to play stuff back for common formats. Most already support it. However when you CREATE, you have to have a CODEC to encode it properly so that later it will play. This is what you are running into right now.

I'm running into trouble finding a x64 bit LAME MP3 encoder, for example. They're mostly 32 bit and don't want to work on Win7 x64 that I have, so I feel your pain. Try another format. If you want the space savings, one thing I found that has its own internal CODEC is Super(C). I can save a file with no audio compression, feed it through Super(C) and tell it don't change the video, just compress the audio into Mp3 and it will save tons of space for me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 11:10:23 PM »
Long description short: The Codec is the instruction manual on how to read then play the music (or video, but we'll use music in this case). It reads the sheet music that says "Put a note here, a voice here, etc" and the end result is the complete song.

So you have the sheet music but if you don't have a musician that can read it, you can't play the sound file. Maybe not the best analogy... Let's change that to include: Many can READ the music, but to write the songs is harder and takes a songwriter. The CODEC is the songwriter. The playback (MPlayer, etc) is the average musician.

The benefit is that you save tons of hard drive space (and bandwidth).

You don't often need the CODEC to play stuff back for common formats. Most already support it. However when you CREATE, you have to have a CODEC to encode it properly so that later it will play. This is what you are running into right now.

I'm running into trouble finding a x64 bit LAME MP3 encoder, for example. They're mostly 32 bit and don't want to work on Win7 x64 that I have, so I feel your pain. Try another format. If you want the space savings, one thing I found that has its own internal CODEC is Super(C). I can save a file with no audio compression, feed it through Super(C) and tell it don't change the video, just compress the audio into Mp3 and it will save tons of space for me.

What? 32-bit programs should work just normally using the WoW interface. I know 100% certainly that I've used the lame encoder successfully in Win7x64.

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 12:29:32 AM »
Good news! I finally got a song from Microsoft Zune that works and I didn't run into any codec problems with it (it was a .mp3). As usual my internet is down this time of night (it usually craps out around 11pm every night and I have no idea what time it starts working again but its after 2:30am) so I can't upload it to YouTube tonight. As soon as I get it up I'll post a thread in the o'club with a link to it. I appreciate you guys helping me out. I'm just starting to get into this video making stuff so I know about as much as a two weeker in AH lol

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 12:38:31 PM »
What? 32-bit programs should work just normally using the WoW interface. I know 100% certainly that I've used the lame encoder successfully in Win7x64.

There are certain "issues" here and there. The 32 bits work fine if the program you're running recognizes them. For example I am running Vegas 9 x64 installed. If I had Vegas 9 x32 instead, the LAME MP3 would work. However under x64 it isn't recognized and if I work around that to get it to recognize it, it will crash on rendering if I choose that CODEC.

Apparently it's a big issue for some x64 encoders, as there's tons on the 'Net about people trying to solve it.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 02:17:01 PM »

There are certain "issues" here and there. The 32 bits work fine if the program you're running recognizes them. For example I am running Vegas 9 x64 installed. If I had Vegas 9 x32 instead, the LAME MP3 would work. However under x64 it isn't recognized and if I work around that to get it to recognize it, it will crash on rendering if I choose that CODEC.

Apparently it's a big issue for some x64 encoders, as there's tons on the 'Net about people trying to solve it.

Heh ok so you should have said 'it doesn't work with Vegas x64' instead of Win7x64 - obviously.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 02:27:43 PM »
Well specific to the LAME MP3 CODEC and Win7, there is no x64 version. It's only x32, and from second-hand comments I hear it's not specific to Vegas alone. It's specific to programs using 64bit instead of 32bit. Just a lack of x64 support, no doubt, and will eventually be resolved but annoying nonetheless.

Oh well, derailed THAT train, didn't we?  :aok