Author Topic: Are the Brits being 'dissed ?  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: Are the Brits being 'dissed ?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 04:37:07 AM »
All four of those have kills, how many did the Comet or Meteor have? None (discounting shooting down unmanned V-1 bombs), Pershing seen more combat destroying I believe 2 German tanks and that's it.

Comet is out of the question, however if Brits are so required to have tanks in game then the Churchill or Cromwell have already been asked for. Cruiser tanks could be added when more interest is built for Mid/Ear war.

Where did you get your info about the Comet having no kills? When I was researching Tiger I schemes I came across at least one that was knocked out by a Comet. I could probably find the reference again if needed. You could say it was not an important tank as it was only used for the last couple of months of the war, but don't invent bogus facts.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:41:54 AM by Greebo »

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 07:37:08 AM »
Picture of a Comet kill of a Tiger from a respected sight. http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=1894

Heres one of an entire Division equipped with Comets rolling thru Germany in March '44. BTW they were fully equipped in December '44.

Another Comet kill from another respected sight. http://www.tiger-tank.com/secure/gallery.htm
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 07:41:29 AM by Rich52 »
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2011, 01:49:08 PM »
Picture of a Comet kill of a Tiger from a respected sight. (Image removed from quote.) http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=1894

Pictures #1 and #3 of the same tank.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2011, 01:50:07 PM »
AKAK, 3 Kompanie didn't get their Tiger II's till shortly before Falaise didn't they  :headscratch:?
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2011, 02:15:20 PM »
AKAK, 3 Kompanie didn't get their Tiger II's till shortly before Falaise didn't they  :headscratch:?

I think so.  3rd Company received their Tiger II tanks after they lost all of their Tiger tanks to bombers during the first day of Operation Goodwood and around end of July, received their Tiger II's.  Due to mostly heavy aerial bombardment, the 503rd only managed to get out of Normandy and back into Germany with only 2 of their Tiger II tanks, the rest being destroyed.  One Tiger II was disabled when it was rammed by a Sherman.

Sherman commanded by Lt. Gorman of 2nd Armoured Battalion of the Irish Guard, after it rammed a Tiger II.

After crews from both tanks bailed out (One crew ran one way, the other crew ran the other way), Lt. Gorman made it back to his unit and grabbed a Firefly and went back to both disabled tanks and used the 17 pounder to destroy both the Tiger II and Sherman.  Interesting story with a little bit of comedic elements such as the Sherman gunner bailing out and trying to run and catch up to his crew that he saw run for the tree line and jump in a ditch.  When he made it to his crew mates and jumped in, he realized he followed the wrong crew and it was the Tiger II crew.  After calling them some names, he gave them a salute that was supposedly returned and jumped out of the ditch and finally ran in the right direction.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2011, 02:20:45 PM »
Alright, thanks for clearing it up.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2011, 10:59:01 PM »
Found some photos of Tiger IIs in Normandy on my own shelf.  Forgot I had the Panzer Color series :)
Not lots of em, but they were there.  Surprised me.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 11:09:08 PM »
Tanks did not just fight and kill other tanks, so when I mentioned I was skeptical that the Comet had no kills, I wasn't just referring to German tanks, but also to German soldiers.

I think it is pretty clear that the Comet would be a valid addition, though likely not a high priority addition.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2011, 08:10:41 PM »
Cromwell VIII, Comet, Achilles (M10 with 17 pounder), Archer (17 pounder tank destroyer), Churchill VIII, AEC Armored Car with 75mm gun (used in 1944-45), Valentine VIII? would all be good additions. Me personally im more interested in what a nation crewed for AFVs and aircraft and not so much who manufactured them but there are a number of "built in the UK" GVs that certainly deserve some attention and would be great to see.

Of all those I think I would pick the Cromwell VIII as the first. It was used in quantity in the NWE campaign from Normandy untill VE Day.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2011, 08:24:15 PM »
I would count the Boston Mk III and Sherman VC Firefly as British.  Interestingly, HTC is inconsistent on their units page.  The Boston Mk III and Brewster are listed as British and Finnish units respectively despite being American built, but the Sherman VC Firefly is listed as American.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2011, 09:00:31 PM »
Sherman VC Firefly is listed as American

Its a small matter I suppose in the great scheme of things as to how HTC lists it but agree. Its just caused confusion as to what the Firefly was. There are a great many people out ther that still think the Sherman Firefly was used by the US Army (which it never was) from what I read on other forums, the BBS here, and other assorted sites. The Firelfy was as British a tank as the B-239 was a Finnish fighter (more or less) and should be under their bannor.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2011, 01:38:30 PM »
If the brits were being dissed we'd have actual nights in aces high, so the Irish could leave their lights on during the Blitz. :bolt:

And may the curse of Cromwell be upon you for being overly sensative.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2011, 07:55:04 PM »

Offline SDGhalo

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2011, 05:42:02 PM »
well if the Cromwell and the comet should be added why not add the  A30 Challenger that replaced the firefly in cromwell platoons.

im just saying they did see action with 30 corps during Market Garden with Cromwell Regiments one per platoon

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:20:05 PM by SDGhalo »

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2011, 07:27:13 PM »
Because other stuff is needed more right now.