Author Topic: Alienware Vox Problem  (Read 803 times)

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Alienware Vox Problem
« on: August 20, 2011, 05:07:16 PM »
Hope this is the right place for this:

I have an Alienware Area 51 tower that uses that Realtek sound system. Anyone else here have one?

I can hear sounds fine, but can't speak on radio. I've had this problem before and fixed it but, after reformatting the hard drive, I'm back with the problem again and can't remember how I fixed it before. It has something to do with the settings in Control Panel> Sounds and Audio Devices.

I'm looking for someone with a similar system to tell me what they're using for default devices.

I have my microphone plugged into the pink jack in the back which Realtek calls the "Mic In" jack.

Going to Sounds and Audio Devices in the Control Panel, then Audio, I need to know your default device for "Voice Playback" and "Voice Recording".

Hopefully, if I use your settings, that will make mine work. I've tried any number of combinations for those settings and the closest I've come is to be able to hear myself through my speakers, which was the way it worked when my vox did work but my sound recorder still won't pick up my voice and play it back to me and vox won't work in the game, either.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Alienware Vox Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 12:28:17 AM »
Hope this is the right place for this:

I have an Alienware Area 51 tower that uses that Realtek sound system. Anyone else here have one?

I can hear sounds fine, but can't speak on radio. I've had this problem before and fixed it but, after reformatting the hard drive, I'm back with the problem again and can't remember how I fixed it before. It has something to do with the settings in Control Panel> Sounds and Audio Devices.

I'm looking for someone with a similar system to tell me what they're using for default devices.

I have my microphone plugged into the pink jack in the back which Realtek calls the "Mic In" jack.

Going to Sounds and Audio Devices in the Control Panel, then Audio, I need to know your default device for "Voice Playback" and "Voice Recording".

Hopefully, if I use your settings, that will make mine work. I've tried any number of combinations for those settings and the closest I've come is to be able to hear myself through my speakers, which was the way it worked when my vox did work but my sound recorder still won't pick up my voice and play it back to me and vox won't work in the game, either.

Thanks in advance for your help.

You probably need to install updated realtek drivers. If your box has guarantee left, take it to alienware - you paid a high premium price they're supposed to get it fixed.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 08:55:43 AM »
Sounds like you're running Windows7... But in every variation of Windows, if you can hear sound good, look for the Playback device, then select the same for recording. You are using the same for both, right? Set them as default. Now you should be able to test your mic/sound with the Recorder program. If it succeeds, you should be able to use mic in game, too.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 09:39:04 AM »
Sounds like you're running Windows7... But in every variation of Windows, if you can hear sound good, look for the Playback device, then select the same for recording. You are using the same for both, right? Set them as default. Now you should be able to test your mic/sound with the Recorder program. If it succeeds, you should be able to use mic in game, too.

Thanks. I'm actually using XP. I have the Voice Playback set to "Realtech HD Audio Rear Output" and Voice Recording set to "Realtech HD Audio Rear Input".

The only other options given are some "Modem 0" things and some Front colored jacks, none of which this tower has. Not sure what the Modem 0 goes to.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 12:02:42 PM »
Thanks. I'm actually using XP. I have the Voice Playback set to "Realtech HD Audio Rear Output" and Voice Recording set to "Realtech HD Audio Rear Input".

The only other options given are some "Modem 0" things and some Front colored jacks, none of which this tower has. Not sure what the Modem 0 goes to.

Activate the red 'front' input and plug your mic to the red slot. See if it works out.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 12:06:57 PM »
The problem with the "Red Front.." is there aren't any jacks at all on the front of the tower.

Besides, if I plug the microphone into any jack other than the one I have it in, Realtek pops up and tells me I'm using the wrong jack.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 12:18:03 PM »
Go to Control Panel and check if you have a Realtek HD Sound Effect Manager there. If so, check its settings. On the Mixer page check that microphone isn't muted. On the Audio I/O page check that the jack symbols correspond to what you have plugged in. Clicking a symbol gives a list of choices. On the Microphone page check if you need to calibrate your microphone. I don't have any of the checkmarks activated, but it's a personal choice.

If you don't have the Sound Effect Manager, check the CD:s that came with your computer. The Motherboard driver disk should be the one containing it.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 12:31:35 PM »
Try and reinstall your old drivers for realtek HD. (from cd if you have it)

Realtek download driver site is very very poor :old:

last update i used caused a lot of problems.

Control panel and sound options is where i set my mic headphones etc

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 01:34:22 PM »
Your clicking your headphones as "default" speaker right ? It should also make your headset the default mic. Can you record voice in windows record ?

Alienware should have a link to your motherboard sight. Go there to download drivers for an onboard card.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 02:43:30 PM »
Your clicking your headphones as "default" speaker right ? It should also make your headset the default mic. Can you record voice in windows record ?

I don't use headphones. I use a table mic and desk speakers.
No, I can record on windows record. It shows no sound coming from my microphone.

In fooling with various settings in Control Panel>Sound, I've even gone so far as to use the Troubleshoot program. Depending on what I had set for defaults, sometimes the program would say everything was working fine, even though the mic still doesn't work. Other times it says something else is using the sound application, although it never says just what's supposed to be using it.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 02:58:16 PM »
try another mic it might be broke :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 04:10:08 PM »
Good idea, except I've heard my voice on the speakers while speaking through the mic, depending on the settings I've used.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 04:39:55 PM »
Good idea, except I've heard my voice on the speakers while speaking through the mic, depending on the settings I've used.

Forget the 'front' and the 'back' try to activate the red input and try it out on backpanel.

Keep in mind that the software is telling you you should only have 2 slots in the backpanel, typically you have audio in and out only in the front panel and multiple colored outputs in the backpanel. So chances are the Korean programmer got his front and back mixed up.

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 05:30:24 PM »
I don't see any red jack anywhere on this system. Don't see some of the other colors Realtek has on their list, either.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 12:09:13 AM »
I don't see any red jack anywhere on this system. Don't see some of the other colors Realtek has on their list, either.

Then try the pink