Author Topic: Newbie Player Map  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Cjpedrido

• Zinc Member
Newbie Player Map
« on: August 21, 2011, 04:35:03 AM »
Any chance of smaller "newbie" maps minus the elite veteran players?  They just want to vulch us all the time.

Can be done by placing an Account Age criteria to get into the map or if this is not desirable why not give accounts under 12 months a damage handicap so we don't get killed by the first bullet?

Why not make the Early War arena only accessable by accounts less than 12 months & a handicap of 3x normal damage?  Call it Entry Level.

Make the Mid War arena accounts under 18 months & a damage handicap of 1.5x. Call it Advanced Level.

Call the Main Arena...Expert Level. No criteria or handicaps, like it is now.

Can we also get smaller maps?  The current ones are way too large, too many airfields, etc.

Offline Devonai

• Copper Member
      • Reckless Faith
Re: Newbie Player Map
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 06:00:45 AM »
Vulching requires no special skill.  It's also virtually impossible to get vulched upon takeoff if you don't like it... simply up from a quieter field.

There are a number of things you can do to make learning the game easier on yourself, and unsurprisingly, they're also the same things that help you win fights.  Leave from a quiet airfield, gain lots of alt, and make smart decisions about whom to attack and when to do it.  Train on low ENY birds until you get a hang of basic ACM, then move to the more challenging selections.

As for smaller maps, why?  There is usually no shortage of fights unless you're an off-hours guy.  If you're concerned about flying for too long just to get into combat, might I suggest going into the DA for awhile?
Guns!  Aliens!  Talking cats!  My new Science Fiction adventure, now on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/David-Kantrowitz/e/B002BMHJPE/

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:09:39 AM »
Any chance of smaller "newbie" maps minus the elite veteran players?  They just want to vulch us all the time.

Can be done by placing an Account Age criteria to get into the map or if this is not desirable why not give accounts under 12 months a damage handicap so we don't get killed by the first bullet?

Why not make the Early War arena only accessable by accounts less than 12 months & a handicap of 3x normal damage?  Call it Entry Level.

Make the Mid War arena accounts under 18 months & a damage handicap of 1.5x. Call it Advanced Level.

Can we also get smaller maps?  The current ones are way too large, too many airfields, etc.

my dear newbie*that's if you really are one*.... the vulching... the kills, and the deflections shots on you are all part of growing up in this community.. dun forget..elite aces in the game, were once newbies just like you... it should set you thinking on how to overcome your adversity....what made them elite was the fact they kept thinking about how to counter the enemy''s every move... they practised hard in offline missions to practice the accuracy of their shots...

i can guarantee you that you will NOT learn anything in this newbie arena.. rite now you are sick and tired of getting killed thats why you want a chance to pawn others in the newbie arena! this is absolutely rubbish!...take the fight like a man/boy in the MA... stop complaining and whining like a girl and take the crap!

i can also guarantee you that you will learn so much more flying with/ against the best... than fighting newbies in the newbie arena...i am in my 6th year here at AH... and i'm still learning! *of cos by now...i can kick people's butt... not a lot.. but its enough for the time being*.... that i find is part of the beauty of the game...

tired of flying long distances with no one to fight against? get a few buddies and go to the DA... The TA is also a good place to ask questions and improve... the AH trainers there are awesome people... they will help you improve your skills...

so really its a -1,000,000,000 for ur idea...thats just me..
DES 354th FG
The men dying out there have no choice... i have..i cannot order them into battle... i can perhaps lead them...Help them....Die with them
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 09:23:31 AM »
player hosted server...invite your friends.

otherwise the newbie arenas are the dueling arena and the training arena. the training arena will get you assistance from a trainer. the dueling arena will let you learn on your own, with a friend or with an experienced player.

the lumps you're taking now are part and parcel of the "aces high experience", even the veteran players get vulched, ho'd and picked once in a while.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 12:26:13 PM »
I made a similar suggestion a while back. Though not by age but rather point accumulated in various aspects of the game. And still think it would be a great idea as newbies would rather initially go against those with a similar skill level to start out to get the hang of things and wont seek out a trainer.

"Mother please I'd rather do it myself"

Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 12:39:51 PM »
There are those, like me, who don't care about score, rank, or winning the war. I'd rather have a good fight. The key to finding more good fights is to give new guys some actual time in a fight, so they learn and get better instead of getting killed in 2 seconds and quitting in frustration.

I prefer flying EW and MW, and have been spawning custom arenas a few nights a week. If I come across someone and see he's new, I'll change my gameplan and have no problems sparring with him - pinging with my .303's for feedback - and let him stay in the air for a while.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 01:09:09 PM »
There are those, like me, who don't care about score, rank, or winning the war. I'd rather have a good fight. The key to finding more good fights is to give new guys some actual time in a fight, so they learn and get better instead of getting killed in 2 seconds and quitting in frustration.

I prefer flying EW and MW, and have been spawning custom arenas a few nights a week. If I come across someone and see he's new, I'll change my gameplan and have no problems sparring with him - pinging with my .303's for feedback - and let him stay in the air for a while.

If its a 1 V 1 and the opponent is obviously new. I'll spar with him a while. But how often can ya really tell if someone is new? Granted its easier to tell in a more sparsely populated arena such and early and mid war. But late war its almost always nearly impossible

Here's an idea. Little pink ribbons or halos above the icons of new players  :lol (joking)

Naa. Im still of the opinion that a newb arena is a good idea as combined with the H2H arenas it would allow new players to ease their way into the game as they gain in experience and its resulting confidence rather then just enter the game and become the proverbial baby seal.
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 01:23:27 PM »
Naa. Im still of the opinion that a newb arena is a good idea as combined with the H2H arenas it would allow new players to ease their way into the game as they gain in experience and its resulting confidence rather then just enter the game and become the proverbial baby seal.

Without some sort of experienced players in there, what would new guys learn? Who would answer basic questions, like "why is that base flashing" or "why can't I hit anything...convergence? what's that?", etc.

All they'd learn is point the nose at red icon and start spraying ammo at 1.5k until they ram the other guy or run out of ammo. They wouldn't learn basic fighter manuevers, gameplay mechanics like the strat system, what to blow up to cripple an enemy base, or what's needed to capture a base.

Without someone in there that's willing to help new guys, they would never be anything other than cannon fodder for all the amped-up jugheads in the MA.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 03:43:12 PM »
Without some sort of experienced players in there, what would new guys learn? Who would answer basic questions, like "why is that base flashing" or "why can't I hit anything...convergence? what's that?", etc.

All they'd learn is point the nose at red icon and start spraying ammo at 1.5k until they ram the other guy or run out of ammo. They wouldn't learn basic fighter manuevers, gameplay mechanics like the strat system, what to blow up to cripple an enemy base, or what's needed to capture a base.

Without someone in there that's willing to help new guys, they would never be anything other than cannon fodder for all the amped-up jugheads in the MA.

You could still have volunteers or trainers in there to help or answer questions if asked. If not always certainly initially. After that they could learn from those who have been there a while. Just as it is in the MA's

you would have to set the scoring system so that your couldnt accrue enough points to be forced out of the Newb arena in a single sitting.
also if you break up the points into bomber|fighter|GV you can practice each of those things separate before your entirely booted out.

Examples after accruing X amount of points you are either no longer allowed to take part in that particular activity or may do so but only with blanks as ammo. (these points numbers are for example purposes only)

Gv- 1,000 points or X amount of kills or a combination of the two.
Fighters- 3,000 points or X amount of kills
Bombers 1,500 points in strategic damage caused and 1,500 points in tactical damage caused for a total of 3,000 points

Any event, by the time you reach the number limits. You should have acquired enough of a working knowledge of the game so as you should have a grasp as to how things work.

Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 06:57:40 PM »

No.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 07:04:40 PM »
You could still have volunteers or trainers in there to help or answer questions if asked. If not always certainly initially. After that they could learn from those who have been there a while. Just as it is in the MA's

you would have to set the scoring system so that your couldnt accrue enough points to be forced out of the Newb arena in a single sitting.
also if you break up the points into bomber|fighter|GV you can practice each of those things separate before your entirely booted out.

Examples after accruing X amount of points you are either no longer allowed to take part in that particular activity or may do so but only with blanks as ammo. (these points numbers are for example purposes only)

Gv- 1,000 points or X amount of kills or a combination of the two.
Fighters- 3,000 points or X amount of kills
Bombers 1,500 points in strategic damage caused and 1,500 points in tactical damage caused for a total of 3,000 points

Any event, by the time you reach the number limits. You should have acquired enough of a working knowledge of the game so as you should have a grasp as to how things work.

how many people do you think would be there?  if there's only a few, it would take forever to get all those points.  I am sure we dont get hundreds of new players every month to even support this idea.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 10:50:12 PM »
It's amazing what you can learn in a few sessions in the T.A. with a trainer...  Where the heck are those darn trainers anyway?  I keep looking but can never find one...   :D
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 02:35:18 AM »
How do you improve if you only fight people who are just as bad as you are? You'll all be blundering around making lucky kills without truely understanding.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 07:28:56 AM »
how many people do you think would be there?  if there's only a few, it would take forever to get all those points.  I am sure we dont get hundreds of new players every month to even support this idea.

semp

LOL Guess you missed the part where I said the point numbers listed were for example only. But it would also depend on how those points were scored in THAT arena.

(Again EXAMPLE) If each kill were worth 300 points....

We dont know what the average influx of new players is per month. but you wouldnt need hundreds to make it work particularly if they used much smaller maps. a few dozen would be fine

Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 07:33:28 AM »
It's amazing what you can learn in a few sessions in the T.A. with a trainer...  Where the heck are those darn trainers anyway?  I keep looking but can never find one...   :D

Was wondering when a trainer who thought his job might be threatened by such an arena would show up  ;)  :neener:

Agreed. Much can be learned from a trainer. But I'd be willing to bet good money that most new players never seek one out for instruction.

Actually I think this would make a trainers job easier. You inadvertently could get many newbies all in the same place at the same time.
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty