Author Topic: I <3 LOGISTICS!  (Read 2502 times)

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
Re: I <3 LOGISTICS!
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2011, 02:20:42 PM »
Carriers had many supply ships meet up with them, particularly when air operations were present. They could go weeks, if they didn't have air operations taking place.

(Image removed from quote.)

Here is a picture of a CVE under going refueling.

(Image removed from quote.)

This is a link to a diary made by a sailor, note the multiple refuels in his log.

http://www.cowpensvets.org/wardiary.html

Now I'll quote Donald L. Miller, who is well known for his consulting work and historical background.

"... along with a sea train of fuel (bold added by me), cargo, repair and hospital vessels that allowed the task groups to operate out of port for as long as 70 days. Each carrier group was refueled every 4 days by oilers, which also brought the mail and the latest movies."

This is a nice reference for the use of resupply during the Okinawa campaign. (Summary of Service, Biographical File: Rear Adm. Edward E. Paré)

"The fuel required for the Okinawa operation far exceeded that consumed during any previous campaign. This large consumption was the result of the many ships employed and an increase in their endurance at sea because of the underway replenishment facilities of Service Squadron 6. Between 17 March and 27 May, the amount of fuel oil, diesel oil, and aviation gasoline issued by Task Group 50.8 for replenishment at sea (including its own use) was 8,745,000 barrels of fuel oil (ninety tankers' worth), 259,000 barrels of diesel oil, and 21,477,000 gallons of aviation gasoline. This was more petroleum than Japan managed to import or produce during the entire year of 1944!"

Thanks Del, and proves my point beautifully.   +<3
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
Re: I <3 LOGISTICS!
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 04:42:57 PM »
+1 I like the idea. Its kinda like my refueling ac that landed safely in the grass idea  :salute