Author Topic: Chat Suspension: 1 week is too long  (Read 5989 times)

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Chat Suspension: 1 week is too long
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2011, 04:59:04 PM »
It isn't easy to determine the precise length of time that a particular player needs be muted in order to change their behavior.  If you are comfortable being muted for a day then you certainly need to be muted for a week. The mute is supposed to change your behavior, it's not simply a price you pay to be an ass. Since the mute has to be effective for various players it's best to pick a length of time that will work for most of them even if it's more than some of them require.
i think chat bans should be a month long and cost 14.95+a month long ban from the game :D

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2011, 05:33:51 PM »
As Dedalos commented earlier, it's amazing poor the reading comprehension of so many in here is. I never said I was unfairly muted.
I never said otherwise.  There are, however, a lot of people in the thread whom that was directed at.

I can't recall ever having been muted, not even for ten minutes.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:36:57 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2011, 06:02:56 PM »
Since the mute has to be effective for various players it's best to pick a length of time that will work for most of them even if it's more than some of them require.

I don't think so. You can always mute them again upon reoffense. It doesn't seem that hard to do.

If one day doesn't do the trick with one player, slap on another, then another until he stops whatever he's doing. I have a hard time believing most players won't get the message after one day. Heck, I got the message after 10 minutes, 7 or so years ago when I was muted for just one word.

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2011, 06:13:19 PM »
i think chat bans should be a month long and cost 14.95+a month long ban from the game :D

Yeah, thats brilliant. It would give players one month to play other games and stew over being ripped off 15 bucks for saying what 10 other players just got away with. Ive seen individuals say all kinds of stuff on chat and get away with it. Aces High has less then 1/2 the K/Ds it had at the height of its popularity. Lucky for them IL2 COD is a train wreck or it would have even less, but still the numbers are going in the wrong way and it would be stupid to chase customers away casually.

I just dont talk on the chat voxs. Other then a WTG or something like that. Makes things easy.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2011, 06:27:09 PM »
I don't think so. You can always mute them again upon reoffense. It doesn't seem that hard to do.

If one day doesn't do the trick with one player, slap on another, then another until he stops whatever he's doing. I have a hard time believing most players won't get the message after one day. Heck, I got the message after 10 minutes, 7 or so years ago when I was muted for just one word.

It seems that the message you got the first time was that you'll get a short mute that you don't really mind.  You want to continue with short mutes that you are willing to endure in exchange for breaking the rules. What you got this time was a longer mute that you clearly want to avoid in the future. Perhaps you'll discover a degree of self control that you didn't realize you were capable of.

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2011, 06:35:33 PM »
Yeah, thats brilliant. It would give players one month to play other games and stew over being ripped off 15 bucks for saying what 10 other players just got away with. Ive seen individuals say all kinds of stuff on chat and get away with it. Aces High has less then 1/2 the K/Ds it had at the height of its popularity. Lucky for them IL2 COD is a train wreck or it would have even less, but still the numbers are going in the wrong way and it would be stupid to chase customers away casually.

I just dont talk on the chat voxs. Other then a WTG or something like that. Makes things easy.
it was a joke...

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2011, 08:20:16 PM »
it was a joke...

Ah, I see. Disregard please then. :salute
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2011, 08:23:18 PM »
Ah, I see. Disregard please then. :salute
:salute all's good.

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
It seems that the message you got the first time was that you'll get a short mute that you don't really mind.  You want to continue with short mutes that you are willing to endure in exchange for breaking the rules.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

The "short mute" I got was something like 7 years ago. Never had a problem since then.

This time I got no warning at all. In fact, I wasn't even told (and still haven't been) how long my "chat privileges have been suspended". I'm assuming it's for a week as that's what I've heard elsewhere.

I don't play the game trying to figure out how to get around all the rules, as you seem to suggest I or others do, aside from all the cheat codes I use.  :lol

Private joke for Midwar guys that last phrase.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2011, 10:21:52 PM »
Now if only they would extend it for another 3 weeks for whining about it on the BBS...

:lol

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2011, 11:25:20 PM »
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

The "short mute" I got was something like 7 years ago. Never had a problem since then.

This time I got no warning at all. In fact, I wasn't even told (and still haven't been) how long my "chat privileges have been suspended". I'm assuming it's for a week as that's what I've heard elsewhere.

I thought you were complaining about being muted for a week. I didn't realize it was a hypothetical complaint.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2011, 11:26:26 PM »
Now if only they would extend it for another 3 weeks for whining about it on the BBS...

:lol

+1
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2011, 12:16:21 AM »
I thought there was an 60 minute automute triggered by mass reporting that does not require a moderator to be present.

No single player can mute another (without being a mod).

Fixed  :aok
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2011, 06:36:38 AM »

I don't play the game trying to figure out how to get around all the rules, as you seem to suggest I or others do, aside from all the cheat codes I use.  :lol

Private joke for Midwar guys that last phrase.

Wanna get muted here as well?

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2011, 09:17:41 AM »
It seems that the message you got the first time was that you'll get a short mute that you don't really mind.  You want to continue with short mutes that you are willing to endure in exchange for breaking the rules. What you got this time was a longer mute that you clearly want to avoid in the future. Perhaps you'll discover a degree of self control that you didn't realize you were capable of.

You honestly think that someone remembered that he had been muted 7 years ago, looked up the records, and decided he was a repeat offender?  :rofl    You guys scare me  :O

In any case, one week mute is too long and causes unnecessary work for everyone.  Meaning, if I got muted for an hour or a day and thought it was unfairly, I m not going to bother calling or emailing HT to look it up.  If I get muted for a week and thought it was unfair, I have to email or call HT (waste of my time), they have to look it up and make a decision (waste of their time).  It is pointless knowing that the decisions are made by humans and therefore the rules and severity of the offense are not calculated or interpreted the same for every one (even the same person) all the time.  It is just not possible.  Repeat offenders yeah, do what you think you must do, but for a single offense, common now.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.