Author Topic: Dedicated Tanking Arena in AH2  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dedicated Tanking Arena in AH2
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2011, 01:56:06 PM »
So... to own territory you'd need to take it by ground.  What happens if one country rolls 3 bases deep into the other country's territory by air?  Do the bases that are now a sector or two behind the lines still have enemy spawn points at them?

I'd assume the line of available spawn points basically moves between the captured fields?  If so, it might not be so bad.  It would actually be somewhat similar to the current system, with the possibility of pushing them away from your field.

Again, I like it from a realism standpoint, I don't think it would be playable.  Nobody wants to drive for that long.  It would be improved by having the spawn points midway between the two front lines, but still it's a helluva long way to drive.  Couple that with the mountainous terrain we often find, the map layouts would need to be completely reworked.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2011, 02:39:24 PM »
So... to own territory you'd need to take it by ground.  What happens if one country rolls 3 bases deep into the other country's territory by air?  Do the bases that are now a sector or two behind the lines still have enemy spawn points at them?

I just answered this...."you would then find yourself surrounded by enemy gv spawns..."

I'd assume the line of available spawn points basically moves between the captured fields?  If so, it might not be so bad.  It would actually be somewhat similar to the current system, with the possibility of pushing them away from your field.

Same answer. No it would not be like the current system, you would be surrounded on all sides by enemy spawns.

Nobody wants to drive for that long.  

Your missing the point here. Do you think the enemy is just going to let you drive right past all their spawns? You wont be just driving. You will be fighting. That's what we are here for right?

Couple that with the mountainous terrain we often find, the map layouts would need to be completely reworked.

Yes there would be some reworking needed. And I'm sure it would take some time to make, but a complete rework is not needed. Some additions just need to be made.

As I said earlier, everyone wants to suggest changes but not if it involves real change or work.

Either you live with and accept the current system and its flaws or you make real changes. You cant have it both ways.

The only way you could have it both ways is by using the OPs suggestion and as you can see, a large portion of the GVers dont want to seperate the GV war from the air war. They dont want a free for all with no objective other than to fight.

As a matter of fact, I think the furball lake in the DA is a good indicator of what percentage of population want nothing more than a bashing match.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:51:42 PM by muzik »
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2011, 03:00:38 PM »
I just answered this...."you would then find yourself surrounded by enemy gv spawns..."

:huh  Right, but what happens if nobody's paying attention on the other side and my side advances by air 3 bases deep into their territory?  If our GVs do not capture the spawn points in between the bases, enemy tanks can now spawn in 50 miles behind my front lines?  This is what you're suggesting?

Wiley.

JG11

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2011, 03:15:46 PM »
:huh  Right, but what happens if nobody's paying attention on the other side and my side advances by air 3 bases deep into their territory?  If our GVs do not capture the spawn points in between the bases, enemy tanks can now spawn in 50 miles behind my front lines?  This is what you're suggesting?

Wiley.

If any REAL LIFE army takes an airfield deep inside his enemys territory, do you think that the enemy just retreats so that airfield is now behind a front line?

In your example, They arent "50 miles behind [YOUR] front line" you are "50 miles behind THEIR front line."

So you better get your GVs on the ball.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2011, 03:44:54 PM »

If any REAL LIFE army takes an airfield deep inside his enemys territory, do you think that the enemy just retreats so that airfield is now behind a front line?

In your example, They arent "50 miles behind [YOUR] front line" you are "50 miles behind THEIR front line."

So you better get your GVs on the ball.

Ok.  Realistic, yes.  Playable?  Nope.  Not enough GVers to move the line in any reasonable timeframe.  Either people would ignore it and then gripe when their field was taken from well behind where the air force had advanced to, or the line would never move.

It sounds great when you look at it in a small area where action would be concentrated, but when you've got an arena with dozens of fields, to move mud, people basically have to drive the entire distance between the fields.  Sometimes there would be resistance, much of the time I'm betting not.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2011, 10:40:24 PM »
Ok.  Realistic, yes.  Playable?  Nope.  Not enough GVers to move the line in any reasonable timeframe. 

I dont think you're capable of making that kind of prediction, especially since the details havent even been laid out. Chicken before the egg comes to mind.

Either people would ignore it and then gripe when their field was taken from well behind where the air force had advanced to, or the line would never move.

And again, why would they gripe? They have you surrounded.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2011, 02:03:48 PM »
To anyone who is bashing WoT because it offers an in game currency, you might as well stop complaining now. The only thing it does is help you get to your goal faster. It gives you zero advantage in battles, besides gold rounds, which are generally worthless besides clan battles.

kilz, why are you blaming a game for your friend spending money? It is his money, the game didn't take the credit card out of his pocket. He did. Yes it is a grind game, all MMORPGs are. If you could have a top tank in a matter of hours, there would be no point to the game.

Oh, and WoT has more than 6000 players. 8,000 right now on a midday weekday. Usually see 16,000 on at night.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2011, 08:55:30 PM »

Oh, and WoT has more than 6000 players. 8,000 right now on a midday weekday. Usually see 16,000 on at night.

WoT is also free.  You wouldn't see those numbers if the game was paid subscription, which is why they are so heavily dependent on the micro-transactions and upcoming retail box sales.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2011, 09:14:56 PM »
[/quote]

dam that's a lot of free players how do they get paid?

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2011, 10:15:06 PM »
they get payed by making grinding xo miserable people are willing to spend money to circumvent it. 

I don't think I can play AH for a while, even though WOT is a suck grindfest it is still better than sitting in AH and playing with mysef.

I'm having a hard time going from the one kicking everyones arse to getting mine kicked though lol.

Hope Hitech keeps my handle open if I suspend my sub

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2011, 07:34:57 AM »
I don't know if its that cubic zirconia rock you wear on your ear that is preventing you from comprehending but there is already two arenas you can use USRanger's custom GV terrain...in the AvA and get this...Player Created Custom Arenas.  There is no need for HTC to create a dedicated GV arena as you already have the ability to create one yourself.

ack-ack

Your right, AVA still has bomb****s, H2H only 16 players. Whats the big deal about having 100% gv arena, if you dont want to go there fine dont go. Will a gv arena be the end of AH? What would it hurt to give in a test for a month, let it speak for itself :salute
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Xtrepid

• Copper Member
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2011, 08:58:25 AM »
This  :aok

I started a similar thread looking to improve GV'ing.
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,318871.0.html
I would be interested in a GV-only arena but I don't see that happening. Too many people want to fly once in a while.
They also have friends and squads that are always in the Late War arena and won't want to leave them.
There just won't be enough people dedicated enough to get any decent numbers in a GV-only arena.

I think a good solution is better maps and no icons for GV's. We have a few maps that facilitate good GV battles but too many that don't.
There is no reason the maps can't be edited to facilitate GV battles without affecting air combat at all.

Zed

And, that  :aok

Integrate, don't divide. Improve the ground game within the MA.  :old:

For what it's worth...

Was once for a dedicated GV arena, not so much anymore. Although... it might attract more players, than some would think.

I now agree with the above "quoted" comments.

WOT = WOW IMHO (in some aspects)

X
:salute

SHOOT TO THRILL
"We don't hide crazy... we just put it on the front porch and give it a drink"

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2011, 04:19:15 PM »
probably because its free. I haven't run into more than a bare handfull of simm-players in there.

Lol there is probably at least 100 AH players spread throughout WOT.
Curry1-Since Tour 101