Author Topic: Your Kinfolk In The American Civil War  (Read 1401 times)

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
Your Kinfolk In The American Civil War
« on: September 01, 2011, 10:08:57 PM »
The american civil war was also known as the war between brothers...literally.

Have you ever wondered what members of your family participated?

Here is a link to help you in the right direction:

http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/index.html

Or just search: Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System

This site is maintained by the national park service and has very accurate records.

Select soldier or sailor and input the info into the proper spaces. Usually a last name and side fought on works well. When you select a state it narrows it down.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:15:32 PM by Todd »
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
Re: Your Kinfolk In The American Civil War
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 10:39:44 PM »
my wifes great great great grandfather fought in the civil war, I'll dig up the pic's we have of him and post them later, thanks for the link.    :salute
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:54:33 PM by 007Rusty »
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 10:51:54 PM »
maybe..  They don't give the age or date of service so I can't confirm it..  it would have been around late 1863 and he was 66 from virgina, my Great Great Great Grand father... John Anderson Pritchett

This name matches in the search.. (but no dates)

Pritchett, John A.
 Confederate
 Infantry
 23rd Battalion, Virginia Infantry

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 11:01:37 PM »
My however many times great grandfather shares a name with a soldier I found- Sgt. George Capron, Co H, 80th NY Infantry- but I can't confirm it's the same guy. Only match I can find in my tree, at least among direct ancestors.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 11:01:57 PM »
                               Gideon A Cahoone

The site says he was in Regiment's the 7th and the 4th Rhode Island Infantry
UNION RHODE ISLAND VOLUNTEERS

7th Regiment, Rhode Island Infantry
Organized at Providence May to September, 1862. Moved to Washington, D. C., September 10-12, 1862. Attached to 2nd Brigade, Casey's Division, Military District of Washington, to October, 1862. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 9th Army Corps, Army Potomac, to April, 1863; Dept. Ohio to June, 1863, and Army Tennessee to September, 1863. District of North Central Kentucky, 1st Division, 23rd Army Corps, Dept. Ohio, to April, 1864. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 9th Army Corps, Army Potomac, to July, 1865.

SERVICE.-Camp at Capital Hill, Defences of Washington, D. C., till September 16, 1862, and at Arlington Heights. Va., till October 1. Moved to Sandy Hook, Md., October 1. Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 27-November 19. Warrenton, Sulphur Springs, November 15. Battle of Fredericksburg December 12-15. "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863. Moved to Newport News February 9, thence to Lexington, Ky., March 25-31. Moved to Winchester, thence to Richmond, Ky., April 18. To Paint Creek May 3, and to Lancaster May 10. Moved to Vicksburg, Miss., June 4-14. Siege of Vicksburg June 15-July 4. Advance on Jackson, Miss., July 5-10. Siege of Jackson July 10-17. At Milldale till August 8. Moved to Nicholasville, Ky., August 8-18, thence to Lexington September 7, and provost duty there till April, 1864. Moved to Virginia April 2-23. Campaign from the Rapidan to the James May-June. Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7; Spottsylvania May 8-12; Spottsylvania C. H. May 12-21; Stannard's Mill May 21; North Anna River May 23-26. On line of the Pamunkey May 26-28. Totopotomoy May 28-31. Cold Harbor June 1-12. Bethesda Church June 1-3. Before Petersburg June 16-18. Siege of Petersburg June 16, 1864, to April 2, 1865. Mine Explosion, Petersburg, July 30, 1864. Weldon Railroad August 18-21. Poplar Springs Church September 29-October 2. Boydton Plank Road, Hatcher's Run , October 27-28. Garrison of Fort Sedgwick November 1, 1864, to April 2, 1865. Fort Stedman March 25, 1865. Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9. Assault on and fall of Petersburg April 2. Pursuit of Lee to Farmville April 3-9. Moved to Petersburg and City Point, thence to Washington, D. C., April 20-28. Grand Review May 23. Mustered out June 9, 1865.

Regiment lost during service 5 Officers and 85 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 108 Enlisted men by disease. Total 199.

UNION RHODE ISLAND VOLUNTEERS

4th Regiment, Rhode Island Infantry
Organized at Providence, 1861. Left State for Washington, D. C., October 2. At Camp Casey till November 28, and at Camp California till December 14. Mustered in October 30, 1861. Attached to Casey's Provisional Division, Army Potomac, October-November, 1861. Howard's Brigade, Sumner's Division, Army of the Potomac, to December, 1861. Parke's 3rd Brigade, Burnside's Expeditionary Corps, to April, 1862. 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, Dept. of North Carolina, to July, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 9th Army Corps, Army Potomac, to January, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 9th Army Corps, to April, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 7th Army Corps, Dept. of Virginia, to July, 1863. 3rd Brigade, Getty's Division, at Portsmouth, Va., Dept. of Virginia and North Carolina, to January, 1864. 3rd Brigade, Heckman's Division, Portsmouth, Va., to March, 1864. Norfolk, Va., to April, 1864. District of St. Mary's Point, Lookout, Md., to July, 1864. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 9th Army Corps, Army Potomac, to October, 1864.

SERVICE.-At Edsall's Hill, Defences of Washington, D. C., December 14, 1861, to January 3, 1862. Moved to Annapolis, Md., January 3, 1862. Burnside's Expedition to Hatteras Inlet and Roanoke Island, N. C., January 7-February 8, 1862. Battle of Roanoke Island February 9. Duty at Roanoke Island till March 11. Advance on New Berne March 11-13. Battle of New Berne March 14. Siege of Fort Macon March 23-April 26. Bombardment and capture of Fort Macon April 25-26. Duty at Beaufort and New Berne till July. Moved to Newport News, Va., July 6-8, thence to Fredericksburg August 3-6, and duty there till August 31. Moved to Brook's Station, thence to Washington, D. C., August 31-September 3. Maryland Campaign September-October. Battles of South Mountain September 14, and Antietam September 16-17. Duty in Pleasant Valley, Md., till October 30. Advance to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19. Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15. "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863. Moved to Newport News, Va., February 8, thence to Suffolk March 13. Siege of Suffolk April 12-May 4. Nansemond River May 4. Reconnoissance to the Chickahominy June 9-13. Dix's Peninsula Campaign June 24-July 8. Expedition from White House to South Anna River July 1-7. Duty at Portsmouth till March l, 1864, and at Norfolk till April 1. At Point Lookout, Md., guarding prisoners till July. Ordered to Petersburg, Va., July 16. Siege of Petersburg July to October. Mine Explosion, Petersburg, July 30. Weldon Railroad August 18-21. Poplar Springs Church September 29-October 2. Old members mustered out October 15, 1864. Veterans and Recruits consolidated with 7th Rhode Island Infantry.

Regiment lost during service 5 Officers and 68 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 67 Enlisted men by disease. Total 140.
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 11:13:42 PM »
My paternal Grandma's family is from Arkansas and, we're pretty sure, one of her Grandfather's (I think) cousins, also from Arkansas, was a General in the Union Army.

That apparently didn't play too well with some neighbors.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:15:18 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 11:20:52 PM »
They have John Anderson Pritchett's grandson from his 3rd oldest daughter Many Ann Pritchett/Brooks..  He was killed in action October 3rd 1963,  I notice that they don't list KIA's on the site either...

Alex J. Brooks (First_Last)
Regiment Name 45 Virginia Infantry
Side Confederate  
Company  K  
Soldier's Rank_In  Private  
Soldier's Rank_Out  Private  
Alternate Name  
Notes  
Film Number M382 roll 7

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:22:38 PM by soda72 »

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 11:28:34 PM »
My paternal Grandma's family is from Arkansas and, we're pretty sure, one of her Grandfather's (I think) cousins, also from Arkansas, was a General in the Union Army.

That apparently didn't play too well with some neighbors.

A lot of northern Arkansas was pro union surprisingly. The area I live now was pro union. My family fought for the confederates though 4th Arkansas regiment.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 08:05:31 AM »
My dad's family at that time was from southern IL and during and shortly following the Civil War buried soldiers from both the North and the South in a cemetery somewhere way down south within said state.  On another interesting note, it is said that they used former slaves to help with the labor, I've found nothing to verify that though.

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 08:22:18 AM »
found family that fought during the war of northren aggression. 16thark. whats funny is that havent found any that fought in any war since.  :salute

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 08:23:57 AM »
Soda,

If you look up the unit numbers history you should be able to find out what county each unit drew the men from.

It also helps to have all your family names, such as your 4th generation grand father married ______. Look up that grand mothers maiden name from at least four generations back and you'll be surprised.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline AHTbolt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 08:25:31 AM »
One was in the 8th Texas cavalry, Terrys Texas Rangers and one was a scout with the army of northern varginia.
AWWWWW CRAP YOU SHOT WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the desert somewhere west of Kuwait 1991.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 09:16:43 AM »
Great, great, great grandfather

Pvt. Lyman Beebe
13th NY Heavy Artillery
Co. D
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 09:49:02 AM »
Great, great, great grandfather

Pvt. Lyman Beebe
13th NY Heavy Artillery
Co. D

Here is a photo of the 13th http://www.americancivilwarphotos.com/category/regiments/new-york-civil-war-regiments/13th-new-york-heavy-artillery

Organized at New York

August 4
 Company D mustered in at Staten Island

August 12
 Company A mustered in at Elmira

August 29
 Company B mustered in at Elmira

September 11
 Company C mustered in at Elmira

October 5
 Companies A, B, C, D left State for Norfolk, Va. Attached to Defenses of Norfolk and Portsmouth, Va., and Defenses of New Berne, N. C., Dept. of Virginia and North Carolina (1st and 2nd Battalions).

November 10
 Company I mustered in at Riker's Island

December
 Company M mustered in at Elmira

February
 Company F mustered in at Elmira

February 18
 Company H mustered in at Elmira

February 21
 Company K mustered in at Norfolk, Va.

March 10
 Company E mustered in at Fort Schuyler

March 14
 Company G mustered in at Elmira

May
 Companies A & H attached to 3rd Division, 18th Army Corps to January

May 4-28
 Companies A & H participating in Butler's operations on south side of the James River and against Petersburg and Richmond

June 11
 Company L mustered in at Elmira

June
 3rd Battalion (Companies I - M) attached to Naval Brigade as guard on board vessels of war along Atlantic Coast and with James River fleet as Naval Brigade, Army of the James

June 15-18
 Companies A & H - Before Petersburg

June 16 - April 2
 Companies A & H - Siege operations against Petersburg and Richmond

January
 Companies A & H attached to Defenses of Bermuda Hundred, Va. to June

January 15
 Company D at Fort Fisher, N. C.

April 2
 Fall of Petersburg

March 10-11
 Expedition from Suffolk to Murfree's Depot, N. C. (Detachment)

March 10
 South Quay

March 28-April 11
 Expedition from Deep Bottom to near Weldon, N. C. (Detachment)

July 18
 Balance transferred to 6th New York Heavy Artillery

June 28
 Old members and Companies I - M mustered out

« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:50:53 AM by Todd »

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 02:24:11 PM »
Yup. I saw that picture.

I've got a picture of Lyman and (we think) his brothers and father. I had the county historical society photograph it for their records (mine is the original given to me by my grandmother). I wish I had a scanner. I'd put it out in the cyberspace for all to see but it'll get there too someday.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."