Author Topic: New rifle for daughter update  (Read 907 times)

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
New rifle for daughter update
« on: September 06, 2011, 03:11:28 PM »
Just a little update. We have put a little over 40 rounds through this rifle and I'm amazed at its performance. She shot it this last weekend a bunch at 50 to 70 yd ranges out in the country and was putting the holes right next to one another where they ought to be when aiming at the center.

I shot a great grouping at 100 yards when I took the rifle out to sight in a couple of weeks ago. She did even better than me at 50 to 70 this past weekend so it will be cool to see what she can do at 100.

We have been shooting Remington Managed Recoil 7mm-08 ammo. It shoots just fine. Plus I have to tell her to let the rifle rest a bit in order not to over heat. She's happy to put lead down range. The rifle and ammo are very comfortable for her to shoot.

We will try some other ammo later on but for now and also this season the managed recoil is working just fine. Plus I aquired 5 boxes new from somebody on another forum at a great price. I'm sure it will do the job.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,316813.0.html

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: New rifle for daughter update
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 03:24:25 PM »
Now get her a pistol and she'll have something to do while the rifle "rests". :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 04:40:11 PM »
Nice!  :aok
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 06:58:21 PM »
Great choice for caliber and rifle. I started my boy off with a Rem .243 when he was 8yo. Here he is taking his first animal, a year later, when I took him to Africa. http://youtu.be/YPThTw7-xH8
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 07:33:29 PM »
Good to see children learning early..... and good at it too.

My daughters first time at the range shooting live fire with me..... she did fantastic!!  She prefers the Crachshot 22 since it fits her better but she enjoyed the AR-15/5.56.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:38:55 PM by Dadsguns »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »
Great choice for caliber and rifle. I started my boy off with a Rem .243 when he was 8yo. Here he is taking his first animal, a year later, when I took him to Africa. http://youtu.be/YPThTw7-xH8

Way to go!  What is that animal? Kinda reminds me of a Blesbok.  My daughter shot an Impala in south Africa in June.

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 04:22:18 PM »
Way to go!  What is that animal? Kinda reminds me of a Blesbok.  My daughter shot an Impala in south Africa in June.

It was a Blesbok. And it was in RSA. Ive been there twice.

The 7mm/08 is one of those great calibers I always meant to buy but never got around to. I love the light packages the short action case rounds allow you to carry cause im getting to old to schlepp '06s, .338s, and .375s, up and down mountains. I had a 7X57 sporterized Mauser once and loved it, "another one I kick myself for selling". I am shamed to say I never bought another 7mm. Clearly to good a caliber not to have.

The 7mm-08 is probably the best big game starter round for a youngster. :salute
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 08:53:15 PM »
 :devil

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 09:05:57 PM »
:devil

(Image removed from quote.)
That perk became useless with the downloading of the multiple DLC's.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 06:05:56 AM »
Wow, a bit young for an AR-15 don't you think?  :huh
Single shot .22's are one thing, but an AR? It's your child and your decision, but don't you think you're pushing the envelope on appropriate weapons? (No disrespect)
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 07:20:41 AM »
Wow, a bit young for an AR-15 don't you think?  :huh
Single shot .22's are one thing, but an AR? It's your child and your decision, but don't you think you're pushing the envelope on appropriate weapons? (No disrespect)

What is an appropriate weapon? What is pushing the envelope? Nothing wrong with anybody legally shooting a legal weapon. I don't have any use for one but a lot of people hunt predators and hogs in Texas with them.

That rifle and a single shot 22 both do the same thing.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 07:31:44 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:08:22 AM by Skuzzy »
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 07:37:13 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:36:22 AM by Skuzzy »
now posting as SirNuke

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 08:04:22 AM »
To be clear, I have no problems with kids and guns, but appropriate weapons for the age group.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 08:39:56 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:36:32 AM by Skuzzy »
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."