Author Topic: Ten years ago tomorrow  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
Ten years ago tomorrow
« on: September 10, 2011, 03:19:25 AM »
As I sit here feeding my daughter, I reflect on the most cowardice attack on our country ever. After three tours in Iraq and an upcoming one to the Stan coupled with all the rhetoric that has accompanied there wars I have seen the American people change. This is not a post to tout my service, this is to tell the story of what happened on that day, half a world away.
     I was stationed in Germany and we were going into a divisional level field exercise. The 1st Infantry division was training. Were woke up at the butt crack of dawn, as we always did when going to Grafenwhoer (sp?). The five thousand men and women of the 4th Aviation Brigade departed in multiple convoys to take the four hour trip. We grumbled about how the Army can make something, which should only take an hour and a half, be so painful. We arrived and there was flurry of movements on the ground as we began to set up the cammo net and tents.
   I was in charge of setting up the brigade TOC (Tactical Operations Center) coms. I remember how the S3 staff officers would always give me crap about when NIPR would be up (nonsecure internet) so they could check their email. One of these was Captain Christopher Siefert. The day progressed as field set up always does, so much to do and not enough people to do it with.
    I do not remember what time my girlfriend (now my wife) called me with tears in her voice as she told me. As she told me, it was like a cold knife sinking deep in my soul. The whole brigade was finding out at the same time. We did not stop the work but the typical complaints disappeared. Everyone got deadly serious. We were given time to swing by the division TOC to get some of the news feeds coming in. Those images seared in only feeding the anger welling inside of all of us.
     Our brigade chaplain was asked to speak that night during the shift change brief. Our chaplain was normally pretty reserved but not this night. He gave his prayer beseeching God to give us the opportunity to "send the bastards who were responsible straight to hell". He was extremely animated, and his prayer was laced with words not typically heard from a man of the cloth. He summed up our collective thoughts in that prayer so well, I do not remember what he said anymore but I remember it striking a chord deep within which resonated through out the brigade headquarters.
     Ten years later I still remember how I felt that day. Captain Siefert was killed when a traitor rolled some grenades into his TOC in Kuwait. The friends I have lost and the time away from my family, is it worth it? Damned right it is! I am proud to have the opportunity to live in our great nation and the privilege to defend her.

V/R
SSG Tom Glaser

edited to fix typos from iphone
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 03:37:00 AM by Tom5572 »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
Re: Ten years ago tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 08:11:53 AM »
 :salute
FlyKommando.com

"Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
I go to this web site every year on the 11th. I am still just as angry as the day it happened.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/

:salute to those who ran towards the danger and those who serve today.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Phoenix 7

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 12:03:22 PM »
 :( :salute
354th Pioneer Fighter Group

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 09:28:18 PM »

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
"Let's Roll."
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 01:00:30 AM »
Ten years ago today, our country was attacked by cowards. Four citizen aircraft were hijacked, one hit the North building and South building of the WTC, another hit the pentagon, and another crashed into a field in Pennsylvania. 2,973 people were killed, and the American psyche will always hold this infamous day in its memory.

Ten years later, we remember the men and women who died as a result of this senseless bloodshed. We remember those who bravely fought back yet couldn't succeed. May we never forget their valor, selflessness, and bravery.

This attack did not harm just America, but all countries around the globe. This event, no matter who you are, shows the binding force that is so human, and resides in us all. Please, take a moment of silence today, and reflect upon those moments, as so we may never forget. Thank you.

"Let's Roll."
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
Re: "Let's Roll."
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 01:02:38 AM »

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:47:34 AM by AAJagerX »
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 01:42:46 AM »

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Seraphim

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 03:00:33 AM »

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 03:55:17 AM »

kinda like the modern day pearl harbour...

maybe one day we'll all learn to live with another peacefully...
DES 354th FG
The men dying out there have no choice... i have..i cannot order them into battle... i can perhaps lead them...Help them....Die with them
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 07:44:35 AM »

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 07:48:07 AM »
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 07:57:06 AM »
 :salute  :pray
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 10:00:03 AM »
<Insert witty remark here>

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 11:18:54 AM »