Author Topic: Aceshigh.exe has stopped responding (win 7 64 bit)  (Read 1297 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Aceshigh.exe has stopped responding (win 7 64 bit)
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 02:44:01 PM »
No apologies needed.  I just wanted to make sure everyone understands there are some bugs we cannot fix.  All we can do is identify them and hope like crazy they get fixed in a timely manner.

I do the best I can to support everyone and there are times when I will miss the mark.  I do not like it, but it happens.  When it does happen, I do not hide from it.  I let everyone know as soon as I can about it.

If it costs a player some money for trying something I suggested, and it did not correct the problem, then I am truly sorry for that.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:46:06 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 04:00:42 PM »
No apologies needed.  I just wanted to make sure everyone understands there are some bugs we cannot fix.  All we can do is identify them and hope like crazy they get fixed in a timely manner.

I do the best I can to support everyone and there are times when I will miss the mark.  I do not like it, but it happens.  When it does happen, I do not hide from it.  I let everyone know as soon as I can about it.

If it costs a player some money for trying something I suggested, and it did not correct the problem, then I am truly sorry for that.

It's ok scuzzy I understand how frustrating it can be, I just want people to be aware of x64 issues and what hasn't worked despite what some might claim, you are not the only one that has blamed Creative's drivers.

That being said, I noticed that AH seems to use an old directX 9 dll that (I believe comes packaged with the game). Other games that use later versions of DirectX don't appear to suffer from the crash issue. (for example, Rise Of Flight).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 04:08:35 PM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 04:12:20 PM »
We cannot go passed DX9 as that would cut out all Windows XP customers as DX9 was the last version available for DX9.

The problem is not with Windows 7, per se.  Windows 7 32 bit works fine.  Windows 7 64 bit is the one with the issues.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 04:23:36 PM »
We cannot go passed DX9 as that would cut out all Windows XP customers as DX9 was the last version available for DX9.

The problem is not with Windows 7, per se.  Windows 7 32 bit works fine.  Windows 7 64 bit is the one with the issues.

Could it be that the game is packaged with the 32bit version of directX9 that has bugs when used in a 64bit system?

Some games such as Civ have an initial menu where the user can choose directX 9 or 11 and an application can call the api GetVersionEx to retrieve the current windows version (ie, if its XP, then don't show the menu).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724451.aspx

I'm sure you have tried many things so I wont suggest the obvious, such as calling MSDN support and seeing if they have a workaround. Don't take it the wrong way, I'm guessing there is some workaround available, and am only trying to help...

PS I get at least 2 crashes of this type a night.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 04:47:41 PM »
Steve,

Have you looked through your event logs yet to see if something is happening just before the crash?  See if you find a common event that is taking place each time the crash occurs.

Also, if you go into Device Manager, expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers" and look at the power management of each device.  Uncheck the box for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 04:59:30 PM »
Could it be that the game is packaged with the 32bit version of directX9 that has bugs when used in a 64bit system?

It is the same version Microsoft ships.  If there is a problem, then Microsoft introduced it and is keeping it close to the vest.

Some games such as Civ have an initial menu where the user can choose directX 9 or 11 and an application can call the api GetVersionEx to retrieve the current windows version (ie, if its XP, then don't show the menu).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724451.aspx

Civ is not a true 3D game.  The DX 9 and DX 11 graphic stack is very different from each other.  It would not be a trivial task to blend support for both into one application.

I'm sure you have tried many things so I wont suggest the obvious, such as calling MSDN support and seeing if they have a workaround. Don't take it the wrong way, I'm guessing there is some workaround available, and am only trying to help...

PS I get at least 2 crashes of this type a night.

We know what the problems are, but they are in areas we cannot fix as we do not have the source code to Windows.  I am pretty certain if HiTech had the Windows source, the problem could be traced down and corrected in a few hours.

By the way, in the oft chance someone does not know about it.  You must disable any 'sleep' modes for the computer as Vista and Windows 7 have serious problems in that area.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 05:45:46 PM »
We know what the problems are, but they are in areas we cannot fix as we do not have the source code to Windows.  I am pretty certain if HiTech had the Windows source, the problem could be traced down and corrected in a few hours.

I'm sure HiTech would if he could, but all potential workarounds have been exhausted and have failed?  :frown:
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline the901

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 07:22:07 PM »
Have you installed the latest nvidia drivers that were released today?

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 08:36:33 AM »
most people use Win7 64Bits on their fresh gaming rigs, and I don't see the net flaming with these issues in other games.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 08:48:05 AM »
Most games do not need to use the "device change" message either.

Look, this problem does not exist in Windows 7 32 bit.  It ONLY exists in the Windows 7 64 bit version.  It does not exist in ANY OTHER Microsoft operating system!!!!!!!!  WE HAVE NO CONTROL OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!  Why is that so hard to understand?  Why is it people expect an application to fix a problem in the operating system?????!!!!!  It si not going to show up on every computer either!!!!

If this was correctable in the game, it would have already been done!

This is no longer productive.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:56:36 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese