Author Topic: Play quality  (Read 6741 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Play quality
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 10:18:13 PM »
Im asking about how the player base now plays the game compared to years ago?

Probably about the same, with (for me) three notable distinctions. 

There seemed to be more people willing to improve their own skills.  People studied Shaw's book.  People relied a bit less on numbers to assist them.

There was a significantly greater sense of the historical aspects of the game.  This did not necessarily translate into different game behavior - there was still the tension between the "sim" people and the "sport" people - but the WWII knowledge level was higher.

The average player age was higher.  Alas, this did not necessarily produce more mature game play.

- oldman

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 10:20:31 PM »
I'm sorry, that might have gone over your head (my aim has always sucked  :D ). What I meant was in the old days we were simmers, today its gamers. 30 and under is the "Nintendo" generation. They were brought up on games and gaming systems. They look at games as having a start, and a finish. To a simmer the game never ends, it's a continuing game that is always in a state of flux that you can jump in and join at any time. Games start a game and do nothing but drive to the finish. Then they buy a new game.

You know, I agree with this.  I've been around AH since March of 2008.  All I want, at this point, is to improve my ACM and become a better dog fighter.  I really don't care about "the war"...  At all.  I just wish that HTC would develop some sort of duel match maker where you just click on something and you get paired with someone else who also wants to duel.  

I want to learn by experience, but it's nearly impossible in the MA and I guess I'm just not quite cheeky enough to beg for DA time with more experienced guys.  I always feel like I am wasting their time, even if I do get something out of it.

I guess I need a FPH to spend time with...  But I can't quite bring myself to be quite the ankle humper that a certain someone has become...

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 12:14:13 AM »
Largely no changes since AW 1996.  The names have changed.  The maps/terrains have changed.  More has been added.  The dweebs are still dweebs.  The fighters are still fighters.  CZ/Nits still suck.  BZ/Rooks are still alt monkey furballers; a controdiction in itself.  AZ/Bish still fight outnumbered most often (thank you hoard squads for moving along, the rest of us prefer it this way).

Life goes on just as it's always been.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 01:29:58 AM »
It could be my imagination, but it seems like theres more "screw it, lets just overwhelm the defenders with bodies" than any attempt at victory by skill since the radar changes.

Again, could be my imagination, but it seems like the play quality is slipping. But it could just be that I've become disenchanted with Aces High, and am now actually recognizing the negative parts.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 01:53:55 AM »
Only faces, squads, and planes have changed. New players to hate, old players to miss.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 02:09:50 AM »
The game play hasn't changed since AH was launched.  Sure, some of us old timers look at the past years with rose tinted glasses but in reality nothing has changed.  It was the same in Air Warrior and Warbirds as well, AH hasn't been any different.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 06:13:23 AM »
The greatest single change I've noticed is since the new ack was introduced to the fields.

There are alot more people now whom when I come across even when they have an advantage to start with who simply make one pass then run or dive to their field ack.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 07:12:27 AM »
AH was $14.95/mo 10 years ago, as it is today. Find another product or service that can claim the same.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 07:42:43 AM »
I think the game play has improved. Sadly I can't put my finger on what makes me think it.
I believe the new layout of the towns has helped improve gameplay, it's more challenging than it use to be compared with the old square layout.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline COndor06

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.CondorAerial.com
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 08:38:23 AM »
I'm sorry, that might have gone over your head (my aim has always sucked  :D ). What I meant was in the old days we were simmers, today its gamers. 30 and under is the "Nintendo" generation. They were brought up on games and gaming systems. They look at games as having a start, and a finish. To a simmer the game never ends, it's a continuing game that is always in a state of flux that you can jump in and join at any time. Games start a game and do nothing but drive to the finish. Then they buy a new game.

Fugitive, That is the most profound statement about this game I have ever seen. You are exactly right. I played this game for 5 years and dedicated thousands of game play hours to include some weekend 30 hour stretches.

I left the game because it took on a completely different face over the last two years. My squaddies would ditch a 4 or 5 kill plane/tank to bring supplies and troops. People would ask if you wanted help in a fight instead of diving in for a kill and Ho’ing was a last ditch effort to survive, not a tactical advantage.

I am not saying these things don’t exist but it’s so rare I don’t think it deserves a comment.

I have been thinking of coming back and have been reading the message boards over the last few months but I guess you just have to concede to the fact that the sim days are over and gaming is the order of the day.

Not many people recognize this attribute Fugitive and I agree with you completely.

<in my best Yoda voice>
You are the chosen one my son, go forth and Die many good deaths so these young prodigies may learn from your example.  :old:
Be careful what you shoot at. Most things
in here don't react too well to bullets.
Captain Marko Ramius:

http://www.CondorAerial.com

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 08:45:05 AM »
I have been here since 2002 ...

The core elements of game play have not really changed.

What has changed is the mindset of the players that play this game.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 08:53:36 AM »
I think the overall play quality has diminished only due to the fact that many of the old names that were around when I started have left.  There is a definate skill gap between a new player and one who's been in game for a while, even if they're not elite players.  Also it seems the Dora has been replaced by the P51, other than that... same tactics.  Main difference I see is the BF110 is no longer a mainstay of attack since the cities have changed.  It takes a more overall force to properly assault a town than before.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 09:14:51 AM »
IMHO good fights have dwindled since going back to one LW.

They can still be found if you have time and patience.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 09:28:45 AM »
I'm sorry, that might have gone over your head (my aim has always sucked  :D ). What I meant was in the old days we were simmers, today its gamers. 30 and under is the "Nintendo" generation. They were brought up on games and gaming systems. They look at games as having a start, and a finish. To a simmer the game never ends, it's a continuing game that is always in a state of flux that you can jump in and join at any time. Games start a game and do nothing but drive to the finish. Then they buy a new game.

Your sweeping generalizations really make me chuckle but assuming you are right, what's so wrong about that?  Game play quality is a direct function of both the game itself and the players, not just the players.  In fact I'd say it is more heavily based on the way the game is set up to be played. If HTC fails to update the simplistic strategic system they have in the game and continue to live in the Simmer Stoneage where simple mind numbing strategy was good enough for the simmer crowd, then we will become obsolete.  Pretty simple really.

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 09:29:36 AM »
I had taken a break from AH,  when I came back I saw a few of the old names, some of them remembered me, some didn't.  I spent some time in the DA To get back into things, before I went to the MA.  When we attacked a V base as I rolled in with a load of eggs in my Hog I noticed a few things, the ack was still there, there were 2 ostwinds, and they were shooting at me.  The other thing I noticed was once they started upping fighters I actually got check 6 calls from people and they actually kept the enm fighters off of me till I could get light.  The dog fights were still there and I think that the group I was flying with were fighting as a team as well as we used to.  Over all I think that the game has stayed pretty much the same, it is still well worth my 15 dollars a month, which I paid even though I wasn't playing very much.  The wife ACK is still the same caliber and will ruin a good fight quicker than a HOing A-20, and the -16 is still hard to get with a hog if you are out of E.  P-51s still BnZ but you can sucker them into a turn fight if they are young, and the 190 is still a bullet straight and level, especially if you forget to pull your flaps up after take off which is really irritating in the Hog.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:31:45 AM by 2ADoc »
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.