Author Topic: how close when you pull the trigger?  (Read 1912 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Re: how close when you pull the trigger?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 02:47:11 AM »
D200 is 101-300feet, D400 is 301-500, and D600 is 501-700.

I take my shots when it say's 400 but when it says 200 is where I get most of my kills.

Most of my cannons are set for 275 or 300 depending on plane.

My 50's usually are at 375-400 with the white line 50's out ahead.

My N1k1 is set to a secret convergence that I'm amazed actually works  :uhoh

A few old pics of convergence I used from 2007-09. The Ki-61 is a one pull lazer

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:57:43 AM by A8TOOL »

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 05:23:58 PM »
D200 is 101-300feet, D400 is 301-500, and D600 is 501-700.

I take my shots when it say's 400 but when it says 200 is where I get most of my kills.

The icons actually display YARDS, not feet. 

Same thing applies while in the hanger, but the distance isn't really apparent.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2011, 05:35:35 PM »

My N1k1 is set to a secret convergence that I'm amazed actually works  :uhoh

out with it.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline PuppetZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 10:24:52 AM »
I was wondering just now, and you correct me if I'm wrong, the way convergence works is the bullets will converge horizontaly AND verticaly at convergence distance right? So setting convergence further would help with leading the target within convergence?  Like they fire a wee bit upward within convergence so it add a bit to your lead so you dont have to lead with the nose as much.

Thoughts, comments?

will run some testing on that! Will get back to you.
LCDR. Frank 'PuppetZ' Perreault, Squadron intelligence officer

VF-17 Jolly Rogers
'Kids, you tried and failed miserably. The lesson is : never try'

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 10:33:21 AM »
I was wondering just now, and you correct me if I'm wrong, the way convergence works is the bullets will converge horizontaly AND verticaly at convergence distance right? So setting convergence further would help with leading the target within convergence?  Like they fire a wee bit upward within convergence so it add a bit to your lead so you dont have to lead with the nose as much.

Thoughts, comments?

will run some testing on that! Will get back to you.

For nose-mounts, setting the convergence further out would give you that little extra loft you're referring to, which has often come up as a way to "help" with lead.  In reality, it doesn't help though.  It just slightly changes where you need to aim for all of your shots.

For wing-mounts, the opposite is true.  You'd need to set your convergence closer to get that extra loft, and that would really mess up your L/R crossing-point.  I had a thread somewhere with a ton of screen shots, I'll see if I can find it.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline PuppetZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 10:39:15 AM »
Right. My testing didnt show any really decisive advantages to it either.

And on a side note, a little advice to y'all : before drawing something on your screen, make sure you're using one of your erasable marker. NOT a permanent one... #LFMF
LCDR. Frank 'PuppetZ' Perreault, Squadron intelligence officer

VF-17 Jolly Rogers
'Kids, you tried and failed miserably. The lesson is : never try'

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 10:55:59 AM »

Found it...

Look at the screen shots at the end of this thread.  Especially look at the screenies that show the 300 yard shots with convergence set at 150, 300, and 600 with the wing-mounted guns, and the ones that show the difference in impact-point with a 600 yd vs. a 150 yd convergence setting.

I purposely picked the 38 to compare with the F4U, because it shows similar weapons that have been mounted differently.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,291146.0.html
MtnMan

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2011, 11:47:42 AM »
Good find Mtnman, I was looking for it to. In the end even Skuzzy stepped into the discussion and said you were right.

Another good thread where MNTMAN contributed his expert knowledge would be this one. It's where some of these pictures were taken from. http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,263464.0.html

The convergence is set to meet at one point like the tip of a cone. After they meet they extend out in the other direction creating another cone. The farther they travel the larger the cone on the other end. Well you only started with 3.5 feet so twice the convergence set would end up the same size as the nose again.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2011, 12:40:05 PM »
Good find Mtnman, I was looking for it to. In the end even Skuzzy stepped into the discussion and said you were right.

Another good thread where MNTMAN contributed his expert knowledge would be this one. It's where some of these pictures were taken from. http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,263464.0.html

The convergence is set to meet at one point like the tip of a cone. After they meet they extend out in the other direction creating another cone. The farther they travel the larger the cone on the other end. Well you only started with 3.5 feet so twice the convergence set would end up the same size as the nose again.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks!

The only thing that really bothers me about the diagrams you posted is the middle one (aim point too close/too far) because it really isn't accurate when it comes to the vertical components of the wing-mounts it depicts.

I won't go so far as to say it's incorrect, just that I've never seen it to be right...

With the aim point too close, it's really hard to miss by shooting under your opponent.  With it too far, it's really hard to miss by shooting high...  The diagram is opposite of reality (and of AH).
MtnMan

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »
Shoot whenever you think you can hit your target.

If he's flying straight and level? I'll fire as far as my bullets can go.
If he's jinking around like a mad man? I'll wait until he crosses my sights.
If we're pulling Gs? I'll shoot and adjust based on tracer fire.
If I'm coming from the side? I'll pull lead more lead.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp