Author Topic: Setting Up Sound for both Speakers and Headsets  (Read 887 times)

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
Setting Up Sound for both Speakers and Headsets
« on: September 24, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »
All right here goes...

I have onboard sound on my ASUS running the latest drivers from RealTek (W7 x64)

I have a Logitech USB headset with mic

I have a Logitech 5.1 surround set of speakers (woofer, left, right, center [rear speakers not used])

Here is what I want to do:

I would like to be able to hear the game sounds (Environment, effects...engine, bullets, hits, bombs etc) through the speakers...and the VOX only on the headset...(just like it was in back then)...

I have a SoundBlaster card I can pop in if that will get me to where I want to be...right now I am just on the MOBO sound for the externals

Does anyone know how to setup W7 X64 to channel VOX only to the headset...and the rest of the game sounds to the externals?

I tried playing around with the AH settings for output but no luck yet sofar

Thanks in advance...

Out

Oneway

Is this possible

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Setting Up Sound for both Speakers and Headsets
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 06:24:47 PM »
uh unless you can figure out a way to point vox only to a specific device, i don't think it's possible.   :headscratch:
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 06:35:10 PM »
I'm pretty sure you need two sound devices, so you'll need to drop in that SB card. Then go into the game sound options [prolly advanced section] and set the sounds to output to whatever device you want.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 07:17:19 PM »
dot, he has a usb headset which have a built in sound chip. no need for the extra sound card.

there is no place in the sounds section to separate vox from all other sounds.*edit*  i'll look again...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:29:48 PM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 07:20:15 PM »
You can do it in game.

Clipboard-> sounds-> set vox for headset and everything else for speakers, I think.

I'd need to look but I had mine set up that way for a while. Everything is on headset now so as not to disturb the rest of the household.

The settings are on the clipboard somewhere.....

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 07:39:38 PM »
 :headscratch:  maybe there is a way, i've never had the desire to mess with it but, this could be intriguing.

looking at that layout it appears as though, the settings on the left dictate what you hear out of the sources on the right. so, it's possible that setting voice to headset on the left then specifying the source for microphone and headset on the right, you should hear voice only through the headset. speaker layout would have to be set to whatever you have in windows control panel > hardware and sound > manage audio devices. then on the left side set environment and effects to speaker.

be interesting to see if that actually works. oneway, make sure you go into the control panel area where you manage audio devices and make sure the proper output on your sound card is setup for those speakers and active.
jarhed  

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 07:45:53 PM »
The onboard sound utility from RealTek bites so (re) disabled in the bios and now am installing the sound blaster card...even though its a bit old (Audigy 2Zs) I was able to get it to show up in the device manager and am installing its latest drivers and utilities

It would be awesome to channel the VOX (and Team Speak) through the head sets and have all of the 'other' games sounds to pump out through the speakers. That is step 1

Step 2 is the ability to flip a virtual switch for late night play when I want all sounds (VOX and effects) to roll through the headset

I will post back here once I have run through the SB installs and updates and then in game tweaks

Out

Oneway

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 08:21:24 PM »
gyrene's original post is correct....

You cannot split VOX audio "Client Side Input" to separate hardware device (it would be awesome if you could)

This implementation does not appear achievable.

It boils down to two hurdles to cross:

1) System wide simultaneous semi-synchronous output to 2 playback devices (this is predicted on the OS)

2) An ability within AH to split audio output (VOX-Effects) into to one of two client input streams (Headset-Speakers)

Perhaps this tech question should become a wishlist feature (unless I am dead wrong - I frequently am)

Maybe the Skuzzy has some feedback or input on this...it will have to wait until next week

Out

Oneway

Erata: still screwing around with getting through the first of the two above mentioned items - ie fully simultaneous output to 2 playback devices for ALL AH sounds

:salute
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 09:02:05 PM by oneway »

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 08:54:43 PM »

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 09:02:55 PM »
gyrene's original post is correct....
You cannot split VOX audio "Client Side Input" to separate hardware device (it would be awesome if you could)

Yes you can.  I've done it.  USB headset counts as a separate sound device.  Per the audio settings you can set voice to one and all other sounds to another.  It's one of the benefits of the Miles sound system AH uses.

OneWay can do it by setting his settings as follows:

« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 09:09:06 PM by Tigger29 »

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »
but tigger, he doesn't want to hear voice at all through his speakers nor anything but voice through his headset...which settings allow that? the teamspeak issue is easy, but in game vox is another animal.
jarhed  

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 09:51:32 PM »
Exactly Gyrene (and you are right - you cannot isolate them within the game)

And here is another reason why it would be helpful to isolate the two streams:

If your on VOX and speaking...nobody within earshot of the externals (pumping out games sounds and effects) should be able to hear your VOX coms...over those externals...if I am cussing and bantering on VOX, or my regular flying mates are doing as much...I do not want that going out to the externals...which are audibly public

The greatest benefit is the immersion aspects though...Voice is in the headset...effects are ambient.

Exactly how it was for the pilots in WW2.

That is all I am trying to achieve

Edit: its the VOX/Effects audio (AH output > client ) that is the issue; you would need to be able to split AH output into two  master audio channels, and direct that to 2 specific hardware devices, which in turn would then dice them up according to your hardware (mono, stero, quad, 5.1 etc...)

I am not seeing that functionality
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:11:25 PM by oneway »

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 11:42:48 PM »
The settings right here:

Will give VOX through the "Headset", and only VOX. It will also give everything else through the "Speakers", and only the other sounds. I can assure you that setup works perfectly.
When HTC introduced the setup now seen in the in-game sounds options, I'm almost positive it was to do as you wish; To have VOX in the headset and sounds through the speakers.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 02:37:24 AM »
=============

Thanks but ... does not work

That will not isolate VOX audio to the client side headset, and shuttle all other game sounds to the client external speakers

ISSUE / WISH / HOPE: Vox goes to the headset...all other game sounds go to the external speakers

I think Skuzzy or HiTech needs to chime in on this one...

Out

Oneway

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 02:45:37 AM by oneway »

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 12:03:43 PM »
Thanks but ... does not work

..for you perhaps.

Others are saying it works for them with their configuration. Perhaps yours isn't capable as it is right now. I'm going with the understanding that you need two unique audio output devices that are visible, available and selectable to get it to work.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals