Author Topic: Plane + Engine = propeller  (Read 1202 times)

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
Re: Plane + Engine = propeller
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 12:19:34 PM »
Still on subject, but also remember that the downward traveling blade produces more lift than the upward traveling blade.
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 01:12:13 PM »
Be careful with what you mean by "lift"....

Lift relative to the airfoil of the prop itself? No. That's just pulling it forward. It creates a spiral propwash which adds a bit more flow over one wing than the other, but that's not because the blade is going down as much as the air thrown BACK by the blades all around the airframe.

P.S. Food for thought it also adds more air under the opposite wing, which may even counter-act the extra airflow over the opposite wing. It may be net null results.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 02:43:24 PM »
Paddle blade
http://www.368thfightergroup.com/sitebuilder/images/w-395-kik-crew-100x150.jpg

Normal Blade
http://www.368thfightergroup.com/sitebuilder/images/w-397-humble-legrove-murphy-150x110.jpg

Basically the end looks like a boat paddle instead of an elliptical shape like a spit wing.

HiTech

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2011, 12:16:45 AM »
Ok Hitech I meant that the downward blade produces more thrust, which since it is an airfoil, I related it to lift.
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 02:35:24 AM »
"What 109 got the paddle shape blade?"

I recall that 109K has bigger blades than earlier versions.

I thought that with paddle blade it is meant just the general shape that was used in 109s and 190s? I.e. the tip is narrower than the base and the base in generally the part that pushes air past the cowling. In P51 and P47 paddle props can be identified as they used "cuffs" to increase and even the airflow around fuselage? Or what is a "paddle prop blade"?

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19774&start=0

-C+

Cuffs were merely for airflow into the engine.  Paddle blade props are characterized by very broad chords.  For an extreme example, look at the older model (i.e. not the KC-130J) C-130 props.  They are very broad chord all the way out to the tips.  Technical term is "high activity factor" propellers. 
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 04:26:25 AM »
Ok.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2011, 08:19:45 PM »
Would this be an example of why the F4u-1A has a higher top speed but the F4U-D has better acceleration and climb?

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2011, 02:26:16 AM »
Would this be an example of why the F4u-1A has a higher top speed but the F4U-D has better acceleration and climb?

Not entirely, as the F4U-1D had rocket pylons which slow it down.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 02:30:33 PM »
NERDS!

sorry had to say it.  Thanks for the info as well.
<S>
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 04:08:18 PM »

I think you mean the F4U-1. The F4U-1A handles like a late-run example with the paddle prop, and has very similar acceleration and climb to the 1D.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.