Author Topic: CAC Boomerang request thread #1 of 1000  (Read 42681 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
CAC Boomerang request thread #1 of 1000
« on: October 03, 2011, 07:43:09 PM »
It worked for the M-18, didn't it? :D 

We could always use some different airframes - especially from unrepresented countries.  So it's not uber, maybe even not quite mediocre.
It sure looks like a fun little bugger.  Crikey, the Finns got their little fidget, now I want mine. 
(Herman Munster voice) "Gimme, gimme, gimme! I want it, I want it, I want it!"  :x

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Re: CAC Boomerang request thread #1 of 1000
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 12:11:02 AM »
What makes it more interesting is, you may end up killing BAR in his M-18 with it.  :devil
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:17:41 AM »

Maybe it worked because Bar has some special connections  :noid
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 12:21:44 AM »

We could always use some different airframes - especially from unrepresented countries.  So it's not uber, maybe even not quite mediocre.
It sure looks like a fun little bugger.  Crikey, the Finns got their little fidget, now I want mine. 
(Herman Munster voice) "Gimme, gimme, gimme! I want it, I want it, I want it!"  :x

(Image removed from quote.)
Wouldnt it just be a Brewster with cannons?

If it is, then -1. sorry.

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 12:26:21 AM »
I wonder how many pilots burned their legs on that exhaust pipe while climbing out of the planes?  :rofl

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 12:27:01 AM »
The only thing I know about this plane is that it's Australian and was replaced by Spit 5 (could someone confirm that 2nd part). Could you tell us something about it, not numbers what what it actually did. Did the Boomerang see any major combat? I don't mean a fight or two for HTC's requirements I mean large battles.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 01:08:08 AM »
The only thing I know about this plane is that it's Australian and was replaced by Spit 5 (could someone confirm that 2nd part). Could you tell us something about it, not numbers what what it actually did. Did the Boomerang see any major combat? I don't mean a fight or two for HTC's requirements I mean large battles.
It was a stop gap measure until better airframes arrived. Any airframes for that matter Australia was looking down the barrel of a big Japanese gun. The best of Australia's military was in in Europe.

England was not really giving up any of it's top aircraft with it's battle with Germany so out of necessity Australia started making their own aircraft.

It was used in combat & was some what of a decent ground attack vehicle.
It never shot down any enemy planes for a number of reasons to slow could not climb fast enough to intercept high Japanese aircraft & system warning devices were not good enough to have advance warning to get them to altitude.

Then factor in that the Japanese lost a lot of aircraft so not a lot for this aircraft to shoot at.

A solid ground attack vehicle that was used quite a bit in the Pacific is it's claim to fame.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 01:32:01 AM »
It was a stop gap measure until better airframes arrived. Any airframes for that matter Australia was looking down the barrel of a big Japanese gun. The best of Australia's military was in in Europe.

England was not really giving up any of it's top aircraft with it's battle with Germany so out of necessity Australia started making their own aircraft.

It was used in combat & was some what of a decent ground attack vehicle.
It never shot down any enemy planes for a number of reasons to slow could not climb fast enough to intercept high Japanese aircraft & system warning devices were not good enough to have advance warning to get them to altitude.

Then factor in that the Japanese lost a lot of aircraft so not a lot for this aircraft to shoot at.

A solid ground attack vehicle that was used quite a bit in the Pacific is it's claim to fame.

Thanks

In this case I'm going to have to give it a -1.
As far as you understand the Boomerang would not do very well in LW arena and we don't really need a specific air to ground only airplane especially when we have a whole bunch of fighters that can carry more ordnance. It would be a good plane to have for the EW but looking at the amount of people actually playing there I think HTC should stay focused on the LW (or at least later war airplanes than the Boomerang). Normally I say "+1 for scenarios and FSOs" but in this case this airplane would require such a specific scenario that even in special events it would almost never be used.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 01:41:55 AM »
Thanks

In this case I'm going to have to give it a -1.
As far as you understand the Boomerang would not do very well in LW arena and we don't really need a specific air to ground only airplane especially when we have a whole bunch of fighters that can carry more ordnance. It would be a good plane to have for the EW but looking at the amount of people actually playing there I think HTC should stay focused on the LW (or at least later war airplanes than the Boomerang). Normally I say "+1 for scenarios and FSOs" but in this case this airplane would require such a specific scenario that even in special events it would almost never be used.
Its that king of attitude that keeps EW empty in the first place.

Its been rather filled lately. granted not the LW's 200+, but its had a steady stream of 15+ players the past few days. thats alot for EW standards.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 01:57:30 AM »
Its that king of attitude that keeps EW empty in the first place.

Its been rather filled lately. granted not the LW's 200+, but its had a steady stream of 15+ players the past few days. thats alot for EW standards.

Perhaps, but if well all change out minds right now it would take a few years to have a large amount of EW planes. I don't see HTC making such a big investment towards EW.

I think the reason why we have such a large collection of LW planes right now is because 10 years ago (or when ever, was before me) majority of the people were flying LW planes. I personally like piston engines and 1940s technology, but I almost like those piston engines to be powerful and for the 1940s technology to be as "modern" as it can possibly be. That's why I stick to LW, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who thinks this way.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 07:07:20 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1WL-jujBg4

Flight tests proved that the aircraft had remarkable performances and, in particular, a rate of climb of 900m per minute was demonstrated. However, since the maximum speed of the aircraft was only slightly superior to that of the Buffalo, an aircraft which had not achieved much success against Japanese fighter aircraft in Malaya, there was naturally some hesitation on the part of the Government and comparative trials between the first Boomerang, a Kittyhawk (Curtiss P-40E) and an Airacobra (Bell P-39D) were arranged by the Department of Air. Comparative performance figures and an excerpt of the trial report, published in "Australia in the War of 1939-1945, The Role of Science and Industry" edited by the Australian War Memorial are quoted:

"At 10,000 feet, the Boomerang is more manoeuvrable than the Kittyhawk and can turn inside it. The Kittyhawk's speed advantage is not sufficient for it to dictate the type of combat and, although it gains more in a dive, the Boomerang's greater manoeuvrability with pull out and superior climb finds it level with the Kittyhawk at the top of the ensuing zoom. The Kittyhawk's only manoeuvre is to dive through a great height and break off the combat; the speed advantage is not sufficient for it to fly away at the same height without becoming vulnerable once combat is joined with the Boomerang.
The Airacobra has a greater speed advantage over the Boomerang than has the Kittyhawk but is outmanoeuvred at the same height in concentric attack (turning circles). When first attempted the Airacobra was able to dictate terms of combat to the Boomerang by its superiority in dive and zoom which allowed it to gain the  extra height necessary to deliver an attack from above. Later this advantage was not so apparent and this was thought to be due to the pilot becoming more familiar with the Boomerang."
The performances of the CA-12 appeared even more impressive when compared to that of the NA-68, a similar - but unrelated - single-seat fighter aircraft developed by North American Aviation Inc. from their two-seat advanced trainer series. Powered by a 875hp Wright R-1820-77 and armed with two 20 mm cannons and two 7.7mm machine guns, the NA-68 had a maximum speed of only 435km/h at 2650m.

All in all, it would be a fun AC to fly in the MA. But so many want their Uber rides.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 12:33:44 PM »
It would be the only plane in the game that could drop smoke and a great base defender. I bet it can fight like crazy as well. Not to mention adding another country's plane which I think is the most important aspect.

Love to have it,
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 12:38:54 PM »
+1 to this. the game is not all about having the best plane at all.
I would love to use those lil smoke bombs they could carry  :aok
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 01:14:08 PM »
It would be the only plane in the game that could drop smoke and a great base defender. I bet it can fight like crazy as well. Not to mention adding another country's plane which I think is the most important aspect.

Love to have it,

Agree 100%

+1

I wonder how well dropping smoke on an enemy would work...  :devil
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 01:18:30 PM »
All of you who are saying "+1" because it can drop smoke, would you really take off & fly for a sector (or two) just so you can drop a couple of smoke bombs and fly back? Why not just take a P-47 or something and drop a few real bombs? That way the smoke will not be needed and you'll get some kills.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn