Author Topic: Tank foliage and visual range  (Read 769 times)

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
Tank foliage and visual range
« on: October 06, 2011, 04:00:21 PM »
What if we had the option in the hanger to have foliage cover on our tanks at the cost of perks. If you spent the X number of perks for foliage to be placed, the visual range it takes to spot the icon on your tank from the enemy air support will be reduced.

for example

you would be able to spot this tanks icon at the current range it takes to

yet this foliage covered tank would require the enemy's aircraft to be at a shorter range to see the tanks icon

you guys following me here?

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
Re: Tank foliage and visual range
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 04:30:38 PM »
     I think any perk that reduces sight range is probably a bad idea.  Penalizing new players isn't conducive to
the financial model  :D
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 04:40:44 PM »
I just wish your name wouldnt pop out when your trying to hide from AC's under trees/inside barns..

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 04:41:13 PM »
     I think any perk that reduces sight range is probably a bad idea.  Penalizing new players isn't conducive to
the financial model  :D

I don't see the cost effecting Giving. If you think about it, most gvs used are perked and as soon as new players start giving they always make perks to the point where they can take out 1 perk or more tanks every time.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 05:24:25 PM »
Its an interesting idea. Not sure how much modelling it needs, but would be cool anyway.
AoM
City of ice

Offline vonKrimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 05:25:17 PM »
hmmmm....the 2nd pic would actually INCREASE the range at which the icon would be visible; a large rectangle with leaves and branches that is too small to be a park inside of a town and sitting in the middle of the road would certainly get my attention from 2-3k away    :D

Fight Like a Girl

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 05:34:29 PM »
hmmmm....the 2nd pic would actually INCREASE the range at which the icon would be visible; a large rectangle with leaves and branches that is too small to be a park inside of a town and sitting in the middle of the road would certainly get my attention from 2-3k away    :D

too bad that most fighting takes place near spawns then

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 08:06:10 PM »

:rofl
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 08:21:21 PM »
but if you were out in the field and could "camo" your tank and make it disappear unless very close...but as soon as you move or fire your location is revealed....this would add to the game.

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »
but if you were out in the field and could "camo" your tank and make it disappear unless very close...but as soon as you move or fire your location is revealed....this would add to the game.

agreed

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 08:27:28 PM »

That sound good but what's going to happen after that. Will your icon range slowly decrease to what it was before?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 10:41:28 PM »
That sound good but what's going to happen after that. Will your icon range slowly decrease to what it was before?

im not sure what you mean?   if you are in "camo" phase lets say....as soon as you fire your main guns or start moving your icon comes on as normal...I would say you could fire your MG's with out it making you come out of "Camo mode"  in case jeeps try to roll up inside ya :rofl

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 10:57:18 PM »
im not sure what you mean?   if you are in "camo" phase lets say....as soon as you fire your main guns or start moving your icon comes on as normal...I would say you could fire your MG's with out it making you come out of "Camo mode"  in case jeeps try to roll up inside ya :rofl

After you fire and say ten minutes pass people will forget about you and the icon range should go back to normal (or shortened in this case).
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 11:11:23 PM »
I just wish your name wouldnt pop out when your trying to hide from AC's under trees/inside barns..

It's LOS only. If they can't see you they can't see your icon. And my experience has been, if they can't see you, you can't see them.

Things pretty much work this way now for a good spawn camper. You need to follow the shells back to their source. It usually takes me three or four deaths if there is only one shooting.

So what is this called in WOT again? Where you sit still and disappear?  :rolleyes:

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline stabbyy

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 01:05:29 PM »
+1 i like the idea can only make gv battles more intresting.....although the thought of a tiger2 sitting on a hill hiding in bushes covered up.....scary thought