Author Topic: What are we going  (Read 14881 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: What are we going
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2011, 04:28:10 PM »
for 1) theres one director on every ship, so our typical CV group could track and fire on 7 different targets.

There is one main control officer that has the ability (in US Navy ships) to control all the guns.  However, each gun has its own gun director that can control and fire independently if so ordered.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2011, 05:09:32 PM »
he is not arguing the lethality at all.. calm down ack-ack..  he is simply stating how the cv puffy ack can be used offensively instead of defensively by parking the boat 4 miles from a enemy base..

now akak, do you believe this to be the intended function of the 'AI puffy ack'? for an offensive function?

That's coming at it from the wrong side, though. The problem isn't that the ack is too deadly, it's that you can park a CV less than 2000 yards offshore from an enemy base, which is absurd. Leave the ack alone and make CVs unable to come within 5 miles of an enemy base. (Even that is unrealistically close, but it's a more reasonable concession to gameplay.) At that point the ack will be back to doing what it's supposed to, close-in defense of the task group, not suppression of the field.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2011, 05:13:16 PM »
BLOL (That's Belly laugh out loud, btw.)

I have popped up above 3k out over land when there is a huge CV furball with other planes above 3k between me and the boat and the ack is still stuck to me like stink on Ink. 

hey now..... :neener:

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2011, 05:13:44 PM »
Hmm you may have to go back and study reasons 101.

Because you seem to miss the piece where it targets the CLOSEST plane above 3k.

HiTech

sir, you are wrong in as much as it will not always fire at the closest target above 3k.. Many many a time I have been fired at with others higher/lower but still above 3k between me and the boat.. Now it may not be 'targeting' me as you use the word, but I will make a hefty wager it will fire at me..
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 05:15:21 PM by TheDudeDVant »

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2011, 05:14:31 PM »
Hmm you may have to go back and study reasons 101.

Because you seem to miss the piece where it targets the CLOSEST plane above 3k.

HiTech

HiTech, I don't know if there might be a flaw with your code or not, but like others said, the moment you pop 3K, you start getting hit by puffy ack. I've been in furballs off CV's, and those puffy ack guns go for whoever is above 3K.

It's not ALL guns focus one target then once that target is dead/under 3K,  then it jumps to the next. ALL guns fire on ALL planes above 3K.

Not telling you how you run your game, or that you don't know your own game, it's just my observation and the observation of others.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 05:43:39 PM by titanic3 »

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: October 18, 2011, 05:21:40 PM »
The way it is now, the CV pulls damned near on the base and the puffy ack keeps the defenders below 3k for almost a whole sector while the invaders can grab alt or run to the boats guns for protection without any risk to themselves. It's like a airbase on steroids. All I'm saying is make it more realistic and player controlled.

QFT

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #126 on: October 18, 2011, 05:32:48 PM »

sir, you are wrong in as much as it will not always fire at the closest target above 3k.. Many many a time I have been fired at with others higher/lower but still above 3k between me and the boat.. Now it may not be 'targeting' me as you use the word, but I will make a hefty wager it will fire at me..

I think this is where film would be helpful.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: October 18, 2011, 05:37:24 PM »
Leave the ack alone and make CVs unable to come within 5 miles of an enemy base.

Yes, do this.

I'm sure nobody will mind a two hour LVT run to the beach.
See Rule #4

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: October 18, 2011, 05:37:28 PM »
I think this is where film would be helpful.

I bet enough of the player base will back up the claim... I just never realized it was a question so I never thought to make a film of it. I thought it was common knowledge that puffy can shoot at anyone and everyone above 3k if in range...

edit: also it has been my observation that everyone does not see all the puffy firing.. Meaning I can have puffy firing and hitting me on my frontend and a wingman be nearby and not see puffy at all. Was he just out of range? I have experienced this vice-versa as well.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 05:48:36 PM by TheDudeDVant »

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #129 on: October 18, 2011, 05:50:43 PM »
I bet enough of the player base will back up the claim... I just never realized it was a question so I never thought to make a film of it. I thought it was common knowledge that puffy does shoot at anyone and everyone above 3k if in range...

Sometimes it is firing at so many people at the same time it would have to have the equivalent of 50 CV group's guns to have that much fire power.  If I were an artist, I would draw a cartoon of a AH CV with 20 enemy planes above 3K.  I would request Fugitive to do it, but being that he is an AH Justice Leaguer, I don't think he will.  And that is a shame...
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #130 on: October 18, 2011, 05:52:31 PM »
I bet enough of the player base will back up the claim... I just never realized it was a question so I never thought to make a film of it. I thought it was common knowledge that puffy does shoot at anyone and everyone above 3k if in range...

Given that it's a common occurrence it should be easy for somebody currently playing to post a film. If you're flying near another player's box of ack it might look like you're being shot at but it should be easy enough to see what's going on with film. To me it always looked like only a few players were targeted at any one time but I never thought to count how many were actually being tracked.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: October 18, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »
Given that it's a common occurrence it should be easy for somebody currently playing to post a film. If you're flying near another player's box of ack it might look like you're being shot at but it should be easy enough to see what's going on with film. To me it always looked like only a few players were targeted at any one time but I never thought to count how many were actually being tracked.

Post a film, why?  Anyone who flies or has flown in the MA for the past couple years knows the puffy ack acts exactly like kappa, fester, sunbat, uptown, titanic, and I describe it to.  That's just the way it is, it targets anyone that pops 3k, with the ability to shoot at everyone at the same time above 3k within range.  That's just common knowledge.  If you don't believe me go film yourself flying over 3k in range of the carrier with an ally above 3k closer to the carrier than you and with you not being shot at.  Putting the burden of proof on us is as laughable as asking us to post evidence that the sun rises every morning.  My guess is that you don't fly in the main arena often or you just aren't a very observant person/pilot.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2011, 06:58:54 PM »
Post a film, why?  Anyone who flies or has flown in the MA for the past couple years knows the puffy ack acts exactly like kappa, fester, sunbat, uptown, titanic, and I describe it to.  That's just the way it is, it targets anyone that pops 3k, with the ability to shoot at everyone at the same time above 3k within range.  That's just common knowledge.  If you don't believe me go film yourself flying over 3k in range of the carrier with an ally above 3k closer to the carrier than you and with you not being shot at.  Putting the burden of proof on us is as laughable as asking us to post evidence that the sun rises every morning.  My guess is that you don't fly in the main arena often or you just aren't a very observant person/pilot.

I guess you have a choice. You can post proof of your allegations or you could just attack me in lieu of any sort of convincing argument.  :D

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: October 18, 2011, 07:02:21 PM »
I guess you have a choice. You can post proof of your allegations or you could just attack me in lieu of any sort of convincing argument.  :D

You film it, I already gave enough information to get the issue fixed.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2011, 07:04:42 PM »
I guess you have a choice. You can post proof of your allegations or you could just attack me in lieu of any sort of convincing argument.  :D

They're correct, I noticed the very thing many times in the past.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC