Author Topic: What are we going  (Read 14508 times)

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: What are we going
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 04:21:36 PM »
Is it possible to increase how much puffy ack is fired at us? Over a CV, for example?

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 05:20:47 PM »

reminds me of that first airwarrior cd i bought.. was a p38 mission in it.. Get the ackack before it gets you! or something.. so you'd be flying along and poof here poof there... you could try to weave.. but sometimes you'd just go boom..   just like our puffy 8)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 05:27:32 PM »
The best thing about the puffy ack model is that it combines randomness with a decreased chance of hitting you as your speed and/or G load increases.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 06:17:35 PM »
Somebody posted a link recently to an 8th AF document about flak in WW2. Most of the 8th AF fighter losses were to flak. Most were machine gun and light cannon i.e. 37 and 20 mm but it also mentioned first shot fighter kills at 20000 - 28000 ft from German 75mm guns and stated that the American 3" flak was even more accurate than the German.

In other words our puffy ack is an accurate representation of flak in WW2.
--I agree :aok
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 07:09:44 PM »
Somebody posted a link recently to an 8th AF document about flak in WW2. Most of the 8th AF fighter losses were to flak. Most were machine gun and light cannon i.e. 37 and 20 mm but it also mentioned first shot fighter kills at 20000 - 28000 ft from German 75mm guns and stated that the American 3" flak was even more accurate than the German.

In other words our puffy ack is an accurate representation of flak in WW2.

It was the same over Japan as well, more B-29s were lost over Japan from AAA fire than from enemy fighters. 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 07:19:27 PM »
  as for the cv ack.  just bring a buff and sink the cv, only the fighters seem to be affected by it.

This is actually the problem, its ineffective against serious targets and strangely effective against non-threats. Furthermore, it is usually abused and used as a offensive weapon, to prevent the defenders of a base to have a shot at defending. This is done by bringing the CV oddly close to a field such that the defenders of the field can't get above a certain alt to mount an effective defense.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 07:28:56 PM »
The only thing that needs to be changed for the puffy ack is fixing its ability to track and fire targets on other side of mountains.

ack-ack
that, and figure out why small, nimble, FAST fighters at 15k are more likely to get hit than large, SLOW, bombers at 5k
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 07:45:51 PM »
that, and figure out why small, nimble, FAST fighters at 15k are more likely to get hit than large, SLOW, bombers at 5k
that information was posted by hitech or skuzzy right here in the general discussion forum on another puffy ack whine last year...there was mention that the faster you go the higher the probability that you will get hit.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 07:56:28 PM »
that information was posted by hitech or skuzzy right here in the general discussion forum on another puffy ack whine last year...there was mention that the faster you go the higher the probability that you will get hit.

Its been explained many times how the acks work but it's always falls mostly on deaf ears.  What people want is not to make the puffy or even field acks more realistic, it's basically to neuter them for one reason or another.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 09:51:27 PM »
Its been explained many times how the acks work but it's always falls mostly on deaf ears.  What people want is not to make the puffy or even field acks more realistic, it's basically to neuter them for one reason or another.

ack-ack

ni! not for one reason or another.. for the reason i pay to play and shoot YOU and your like down.. Not be shotdown by ai b/c I spent  2.6secs above 3k instead of 2.4secs above 3k.

I am for having all the player manned puffy you can fit on the ship..
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 09:53:46 PM by TheDudeDVant »

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 09:54:55 PM »
     Puffy ack is very much needed.  I agree that it is annoying to be pinged by something that literally is in effect impossible to "dodge" (it's been covered, and there are still ways to minimize the risks, flying slower is NOT one of them) However it helps to prevent certain players who come screaming down on a carrier practically burning up from reentry to bomb it with zero hope  (or cares) of ever pulling out of their dive.  It acts as a minor deterrence, and sometimes may be a minor annoyance.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2011, 10:04:56 PM »
ni! not for one reason or another.. for the reason i pay to play and shoot YOU and your like down.. Not be shotdown by ai b/c I spent  2.6secs above 3k instead of 2.4secs above 3k.

I am for having all the player manned puffy you can fit on the ship..

uumm...you don't REALLY hafta fly into it ya know.  :old:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 02:38:46 AM »
uumm...you don't REALLY hafta fly into it ya know.  :old:

oh hell, really??? i don't hafta? u mean i could fly on the other side of the map with possibly no badguys?  man.. you've truly inspired me!  :huh

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2011, 02:42:02 AM »
    Puffy ack is very much needed.

+1
 line the cv with support ships full of batteries of player manned puffy ack!

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2011, 06:11:51 AM »
I don't mind the ack, that's part of it. But what I do think is crap, is the planes from the boat can fly through it with immunity. That's not the way it works in real life. Ack, puffy or otherwise can not tell who is friendly and who is not. The way it is now, the enemy can grab all the alt and time they need while the defending side can't get above 3k without risking getting blown out of the sky. I'm all for manned ack but the AI stuff... I ain't so hip on.
Lighten up Francis