Author Topic: What are we going  (Read 14510 times)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Re: What are we going
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2011, 08:05:48 AM »
uumm...you don't REALLY hafta fly into it ya know.  :old:
really? Hmmmmm...hadn't considerEd that..... It's the illogical part of it which vexes me. Small, nimble things should be far less likely to be hit than large, plodding things. That, and I NEVER fly over the things, even at 15k, unless I have a mind to bomb it. I've been blown out of the sky by CV puffy that was so far away I couldn't even see any of the ships. But, if that sort of thing is a coading nightmare, so be it.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2011, 08:39:21 AM »
it can be adjusted in the custom arena's so that you can fly through it with impunity! if that is your wish.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2011, 08:49:35 AM »
it adds to the immersion when in bombers, over target, in the bombsight, hearing it go off only a couple hundred yards away....or when i take an occasional hit.
Too bad it doesn't do a damn thing to bombers.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 09:33:13 AM »
really? Hmmmmm...hadn't considerEd that..... It's the illogical part of it which vexes me. Small, nimble things should be far less likely to be hit than large, plodding things. That, and I NEVER fly over the things, even at 15k, unless I have a mind to bomb it. I've been blown out of the sky by CV puffy that was so far away I couldn't even see any of the ships. But, if that sort of thing is a coading nightmare, so be it.

Flying faster decreases the chances of a hit. The ack hits a random spot in a box centered on your aircraft. More speed and more G load makes that box bigger. I expect a bigger target might be able to take more damage.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2011, 10:12:55 AM »
I don't mind the ack, that's part of it. But what I do think is crap, is the planes from the boat can fly through it with immunity. That's not the way it works in real life. Ack, puffy or otherwise can not tell who is friendly and who is not. The way it is now, the enemy can grab all the alt and time they need while the defending side can't get above 3k without risking getting blown out of the sky. I'm all for manned ack but the AI stuff... I ain't so hip on.

Just so I am sure I understand this, you are saying you wish your own attack to intentionally shoot at you?

Because it will already damage a friendly if it hits them.

HiTech

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2011, 10:20:31 AM »
This is actually the problem, its ineffective against serious targets and strangely effective against non-threats. Furthermore, it is usually abused and used as a offensive weapon, to prevent the defenders of a base to have a shot at defending. This is done by bringing the CV oddly close to a field such that the defenders of the field can't get above a certain alt to mount an effective defense.
It's no fun when people fight back.

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 10:40:44 AM »
Just so I am sure I understand this, you are saying you wish your own attack to intentionally shoot at you?

Because it will already damage a friendly if it hits them.

HiTech

Ah HA!  I've stated many a time that I had been hit by friendly ACK and everybody would tell me that I was just drinking too much.  Thank you Dale for clearing my name and sordid reputation. :D

All the Best...

Jay
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »
Too bad it doesn't do a damn thing to bombers.
it doesn't? i'll hafta search one of my older versions, to see if i can find the film of one of my lancs going down to it.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2011, 11:31:50 AM »

i attacked a set of lancs at only about 12k, in my peeee38. they ran for the closest ack they could find, which was a cv group just offshore. the puffy was thick, and non-stop. it tagged me once or twice, but it didn't take me down. that was done my my sheer stupidity, and my flying right into one of the lancs.  :bhead :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2011, 11:41:01 AM »
Flying faster decreases the chances of a hit. The ack hits a random spot in a box centered on your aircraft. More speed and more G load makes that box bigger. I expect a bigger target might be able to take more damage.

I know what doomed the Bismark was the Swordfish was so frikkin slow that the auto-aimed guns couldn't track it. I suppose I would no longer be annoyed with it if the game modeled the puffys NOT changing course in mid-flight to follow your moves, it (seems) quite instantaneous. I prolly get killed by auto-puffy twice a month, not a big deal in the overall scheme of things, though it remains an annoyance
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »
I know what doomed the Bismark was the Swordfish was so frikkin slow that the auto-aimed guns couldn't track it. I suppose I would no longer be annoyed with it if the game modeled the puffys NOT changing course in mid-flight to follow your moves, it (seems) quite instantaneous. I prolly get killed by auto-puffy twice a month, not a big deal in the overall scheme of things, though it remains an annoyance

i believe it was said that they were also flying too low for the guns to come to bear on them.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2011, 12:55:24 PM »
In response to HiTech,

Well ummm yeah. If all the boat guns were player controlled instead of AI, it would lessen the chances of the planes off the CV to use it as an unfair advantage by staying in it. Yes I know it's possible to get killed by friendly ack now as it's set up, but that is very very rare. I can think of only twice it has happened to me in 5 or 6 yrs.
In the real world planes fly out away from the CV to protect it from a distance, because for one, if their shipmates were firing at the enemy in close and the ships planes followed the enemy in, they also would get nailed by friendly fire. Once the ship guns were silent the task force planes could land.
The CV already has an endless supply of PT boats that could also provide additional protection in close. The way it is now, the CV pulls damned near on the base and the puffy ack keeps the defenders below 3k for almost a whole sector while the invaders can grab alt or run to the boats guns for protection without any risk to themselves. It's like a airbase on steroids. All I'm saying is make it more realistic and player controlled.
I hope I'm making sense here. I've been up all night getting my butt kicked in the MA and am exhausted  :lol I'll try to clarify better if I can after some sleep.  :salute &
Lighten up Francis

Offline Tordon22

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2011, 12:59:30 PM »
Have we considered paying war beast 14.95 a month to man every cv ack at once?

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2011, 01:03:21 PM »
In response to HiTech,

Well ummm yeah. If all the boat guns were player controlled instead of AI, it would lessen the chances of the planes off the CV to use it as an unfair advantage by staying in it. Yes I know it's possible to get killed by friendly ack now as it's set up, but that is very very rare. I can think of only twice it has happened to me in 5 or 6 yrs.

happened to me 2-3 times a week

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2011, 01:09:49 PM »
Ah HA!  I've stated many a time that I had been hit by friendly ACK and everybody would tell me that I was just drinking too much.  Thank you Dale for clearing my name and sordid reputation. :D

All the Best...

Jay
The AUTO CONTROLLED ack yes, but I have fired at friends at point blank range from the ship's guns and they take no damage. If I'm wrong and just can't hit a plane 20 feet away with quad 40s, I'd like to see film of someone doing it. I say do away with computer controlled guns and make it all player controlled. If some putz from your CV shoots ya down just to get his jollys...well that's where the report process begins.  :salute
Lighten up Francis