Author Topic: Does AH only use one core of an AMD chip?  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Does AH only use one core of an AMD chip?
« on: October 15, 2011, 02:40:40 PM »
Is that true? I thought that was resolved.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Does AH only use one core of an AMD chip?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 02:57:49 PM »
tis still true sir.

although i'm still trying to figure out if it's windows services or directx or something else keeping both cores at 50+% while i'm playing ah, and i have a 3rd gen dual core athlon regor 255.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 04:43:55 PM »
tis still true sir.

although i'm still trying to figure out if it's windows services or directx or something else keeping both cores at 50+% while i'm playing ah, and i have a 3rd gen dual core athlon regor 255.

Well that's a bummer. I was looking forward in the future of building a new machine with one of the latest AMD chips.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 07:41:26 PM »
might want to look into one of the new bulldozer processors. amd made some changes that could have fixed the issue.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 10:40:20 PM »
might want to look into one of the new bulldozer processors. amd made some changes that could have fixed the issue.

that is interesting, wonder if Skuzzy might have some news regarding it

anyways....... regarding the Intel using 2 cores   AMD only utilizing 1 core.....

seriously.....  I have an Intel i7-2600K  3.4 GHz  quad core  and I have an AMD Q975 3.6 GHz quadcore  and plaing Aces High on either PC, I do not see where one is any better than the other......

both have  6.0 GB/s SATA III  SSD's
both have 16 GBs of 1600 MHz DDR3  Sys ram
both use windows 7 Ult  64 bit

I have seen where people claim,  go with Intel  you will have less trouble playign AH ( less problems )  or I have seen people slam  AMD  and tell others that AMD is inferior product

Seriously!  do your home work / research  and you can build yourself a nice AMD based PC that will perform at max settings in Aces High with not one problem ( you can do the same with Intel )

but unless one is into  heavy commercial video editing , then you really not going to see much difference in using an AMD  vs an Intel ........  

certian benchmarks  my AMD 975  3.6 GHz quadcore will out perform my Intel i7-2600K 3.4 GHz quadcore .............. while benchmarking using other progs  my Intel will perform better.....

but judging by just using everyday use........ their is really no difference .......... unless one wants to talk absolutes  (  meaning  like being 1.0134 points better in this category, or the opposite CPU being 1.00831 points better in another benchmark ).......  all that benchmark stuff is hogwash  to the regular home consumer.....

my personal opinion.....

I have seen on these boards where both   type PC users ( Intel   or AMD )  both types of users/owners  have experience problems.....

research and properly dspec your PC parts to see hwat works best together and one should have less or maybe no problems.....

just saying   ( I am not favoring  either brand  Intel  nor AMD .....  I like them both )

TC
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 10:42:26 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 11:16:40 PM »
hwat works best together

is hwat some secret smart guy word that I've never heard?  :lol   :bolt:
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 11:29:19 PM »
that is interesting, wonder if Skuzzy might have some news regarding it

anyways....... regarding the Intel using 2 cores   AMD only utilizing 1 core.....

seriously.....  I have an Intel i7-2600K  3.4 GHz  quad core  and I have an AMD Q975 3.6 GHz quadcore  and plaing Aces High on either PC, I do not see where one is any better than the other......

both have  6.0 GB/s SATA III  SSD's
both have 16 GBs of 1600 MHz DDR3  Sys ram
both use windows 7 Ult  64 bit

I have seen where people claim,  go with Intel  you will have less trouble playign AH ( less problems )  or I have seen people slam  AMD  and tell others that AMD is inferior product

Seriously!  do your home work / research  and you can build yourself a nice AMD based PC that will perform at max settings in Aces High with not one problem ( you can do the same with Intel )

but unless one is into  heavy commercial video editing , then you really not going to see much difference in using an AMD  vs an Intel ........ 

certian benchmarks  my AMD 975  3.6 GHz quadcore will out perform my Intel i7-2600K 3.4 GHz quadcore .............. while benchmarking using other progs  my Intel will perform better.....

but judging by just using everyday use........ their is really no difference .......... unless one wants to talk absolutes  (  meaning  like being 1.0134 points better in this category, or the opposite CPU being 1.00831 points better in another benchmark ).......  all that benchmark stuff is hogwash  to the regular home consumer.....

my personal opinion.....

I have seen on these boards where both   type PC users ( Intel   or AMD )  both types of users/owners  have experience problems.....

research and properly dspec your PC parts to see hwat works best together and one should have less or maybe no problems.....

just saying   ( I am not favoring  either brand  Intel  nor AMD .....  I like them both )

TC

is that bold statement that is almost always stated with amd systems.  "components must match to each other", or "if yo do the proper research you should have no problem".

sometimes i have read that if you buy this component then you must buy another component from the same manu to work with it.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 08:58:20 AM »
is hwat some secret smart guy word that I've never heard?  :lol   :bolt:

nah, I was just typing in a hurry and some keys got ahead of themselves :)

is that bold statement that is almost always stated with amd systems.  "components must match to each other", or "if yo do the proper research you should have no problem".

sometimes i have read that if you buy this component then you must buy another component from the same manu to work with it.

semp

the part you put in "Bold" (you did not highlight/bold the end of that sentence), although it really is meant for both PC platform types...  AMD & Intel

after being on these forums forever and a day, I have seen both types of users ( Intel & AMD )  have serious issues for not spec'ing out their PC builds.........

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 11:31:35 AM »
Well that's a bummer. I was looking forward in the future of building a new machine with one of the latest AMD chips.

Don't think too hard about it.  AMD chips still perform just fine with Aces High and even though AH won't take advantage of both cores it will still run very well on one while windows junk runs on the other.

Even so I'd still have to recommend Intel over AMD but whatever you do, don't let this be your deciding factor.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »
Don't think too hard about it.  AMD chips still perform just fine with Aces High and even though AH won't take advantage of both cores it will still run very well on one while windows junk runs on the other.

Even so I'd still have to recommend Intel over AMD but whatever you do, don't let this be your deciding factor.

It will be a while so I'll wait until the new chips are out and someone else tries them.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 01:42:17 PM »
One AMD core (deneb, phenomII) is still enough to run ah well with almost any video card (over 50 bux, of course).
I would wait til the prices go down, i bet the bulldozer is extremely expensive there (still not even available in europe)
AoM
City of ice

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 11:12:09 PM »
certian benchmarks  my AMD 975  3.6 GHz quadcore will out perform my Intel i7-2600K 3.4 GHz quadcore .............. while benchmarking using other progs  my Intel will perform better.....

i wouldnt give any of those benchmarks any credibility at all, either.
the old trick of if cpuid!=GenuineIntel run SSE2, else; SSE3, SSE4, SSE4.1 etc. still works on most ICC compiled benchmarks;
making for a very biased comparison. iow, there is no substitute for end-user feedback on actual programs used.
and as you said, there is no performance difference when it comes to AH, but using AMD leaves you a bit more money.  :D

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 06:31:48 AM »
1)  No AMD CPU has ever been able to match Intel's SSE performance.  AMD uses macros to offer that instruction set and they will always suffer performance losses to any comparable Intel CPU when the SSE instructions are used.  That is why all high end video suites run better on Intel CPU's than AMD.  It has nothing to do with code paths.  It is a native problem with AMD and always has been.  By the way, neither Sony, Adobe, nor Pinnacle use the Intel compiler.

2)  The Intel compiler is made by Intel.  Yes it does favor Intel CPU's.  Guess what?  THEY WROTE IT! Not a major application available today uses that compiler.  Even when it is used, only a moron would not understand the code generated will favor Intel, because (once again), Intel wrote it!  It should favor Intel!  If AMD would spend the time and money on building thier own compiler to compete, then it would be a moot point and you would be in here talking about it instead.

3)  Most of your support information is from AMD, or AMD support sites.  They are biased towards thier own product.  A bit of a "DUH", kind of thing.  Intel is just as bias with thier marketing as well.  If you visit Intel support sites, you will find just as much negative information as you want about AMD.  If you chose to partake of only one side of a story it will, inherently, cause you to make potentially poor decisions.

4)  AMD/ATI and Nvidia have been cheating at the 3DMark/Vantage benchmarks for years.  They set the standard for cheating in that benchmark.  Intel is just following thier lead.

I get tired of having to make sure every side gets represented when you post.  I really wish you would just stop it.  AMD and Intel both have excellent product offerings.  Both have an edge over each other, in various sectors, of the overall marketplace.  Both have deficiencies as well.  Decide what you want your computer to do and then do the research to determine which products fit the requirements.  I strongly suggest staying away from sites that derive revenue from either AMD and/or Intel (most review sites do).

Unfortunately, there will always be fans of AMD and Intel, which color any objective discussion of the products.  The above post is full of smoke and mirrors.  Basically it is saying the Intel CPU's execute certain instructions better than AMD and for some reason we are supposed to think that is a bad thing.  I think AMD competes just fine with Intel and there really is no need for smoke and mirrors.  The only area AMD falls flat on its face is in the area of streaming video or anything that makes extensive use of the SSE family of instructions (most high end video editors).  A bit of a shame as AMD has a better FPU than Intel does.

I do not use any benchmarks.  I use real applications to test with.  Still waiting for AMD's Bulldozer to see what it brings to the application party.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:50:24 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 04:24:44 PM »
Bulldozer is suppose to be released soon if it hasn't been already. Are you going to test it Skuzzy?

Here it is. Comes in several flavors. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103960
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 04:28:22 PM by Getback »

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 08:46:52 PM »
I have always been pretty much brand neutral when it comes to CPUS and GPUS. For the last 3 or so years, I have been running AMD. My most current AMD processor being a Phenom II 955. I really loved that processor because of its great price\performance and AMD's tendency to keep socket compatibility alive through multiple chip generations. Having said that, I always had issues running that chip in AH. First with a ATI 5770, and then with a 6870. No matter what I did, AH would always nearly max out core 0 when there were a lot of planes in the area, and when that happened, my game would slow to a crawl. I could never understand what was happening because I only use my windows computer for gaming and have no anti virus or any other 3rd party background software installed at all. I followed pretty much all the guides out there to reduce resource hogs, and used all of Skuzzy's recommendations as well. The odd thing was that in every other game I played ( I play a lot), I never had issues with my AMD chip. It was fantastic, and I loved it, but AH is my main\favorite game to play, so I finally gave up and bought an intel 2600k. Keeping the same ram, and other hardware, I installed the new MB and CPU, and reinstalled windows. The change was Dramatic. Now the game is spread out on a couple cores, and so far the only time I have seen frames drop below 60 is in FSOs when 100+ planes are taking off at once. They drop in to the 30s, where before in FSOs , they would be near single digits on take off. Now, I am aware the 2600k is more expensive, but the difference in performance is not nearly so dramatic in other games. It makes me wonder..what is it about AH that doesn't allow you to take advantage of AMD's multi cores? AMD's strength, especially in bulldozer is its multiple cores. Per core performance is way behind intel, and I just wonder what the future holds for Bulldozer within AH. I would love to go back to AMD someday, but I refuse if it is not working well in this game.