Author Topic: 109s and Flaps  (Read 4364 times)

Offline STEELE

• Nickel Member
Re: 109s and Flaps
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2011, 05:16:02 PM »
gyrene, I found an official chart on 109 flap speeds, and in fact  109s can (and did) safely use up to 20 degrees flaps at speeds up to 450 kph! (which is 280 mph!!)
so 217 isnt even close either!
That being said, if 20 degrees is allowable at 280, 10-15 should be fine at 300+    agreed?
google "109 flap deployment speed"  and you can find it in the top 3 results in ww2aircraft. net

Not to mention it's  well known that Marseilles used flaps all the time at high speed to gain extra lead for deflection shooting!
Honestly though, if this improved historical flap deployment ability makes the 109 more competitive with top allied rides, (which it most certainly will) do you really think it will be fixed?
The Kanonenvogel had 6 rounds per pod, this is not even close to being open for debate.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2011, 05:44:59 PM »
It already is competitive with allied rides. I trust my K4 more than any other ride in the game, save possibly a Panther tank.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »
STEELE,

If you can post a historically accurate document about it, then you never know it may just get changed.  Happened before :aok

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2011, 10:11:01 AM »
gyrene, I found an official chart on 109 flap speeds, and in fact  109s can (and did) safely use up to 20 degrees flaps at speeds up to 450 kph! (which is 280 mph!!)
That being said, if 20 degrees is allowable at 280, 10-15 should be fine at 300+    agreed?
google "109 flap deployment speed"  and you can find it in the top 3 results in ww2aircraft. net

Not to mention it's  well known that Marseilles used flaps all the time at high speed to gain extra lead for deflection shooting!
Honestly though, if this improved historical flap deployment ability makes the 109 more competitive with top allied rides, (which it most certainly will) do you really think it will be fixed?
i think i know the chart you're talking about, and unfortunately it has been posted before in another discussion. it was a single page from a multi-page report and couldn't be corrborated with additional data. in all the searching i've done i actually found what was supposedly a u.s. intelligence report that in september 1944 the rlm posted a notice stating 109 pilots should not use flaps over a certain speed (225-235?mph) especially above 20,000ft. i disregarded it because i couldn't find any further data to support it and i figured i needed more than a single unsubstantiated piece of data to support the use of 109 flaps over what ah has modeled. haven't been able to find it again.

unfortunately, the rlm wasn't as thorough as the u.s. with written 109 pilot training manuals, and they all refer to the flaps as landeklappen (landing flaps).
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2011, 11:23:33 AM »

At 280 MPH you can already pull to blackout without flaps. How would being more unconscious make you more competitive?   :devil

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2011, 10:19:55 PM »
At 280 MPH you can already pull to blackout without flaps. How would being more unconscious make you more competitive?   :devil

I could see dropping flaps as a means of slowing down faster. The gears rip off at 200mph so if dropping flaps at 280 or something created more drag would make sense to me.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2011, 07:08:49 AM »
I could see dropping flaps as a means of slowing down faster. The gears rip off at 200mph so if dropping flaps at 280 or something created more drag would make sense to me.

Combat flap settings don't add much drag so they don't make good speed brakes. Turning hard creates a lot of induced drag and slows you down very quickly.