Author Topic: No white flag?  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Raptor05121

• Nickel Member
No white flag?
« on: October 23, 2011, 11:02:55 PM »
It is generally accepted in WW2 that when a pilot lowers his landing gear in a dogfight, that it is his "white flag" (sans the F4U pilots :noid ). I'm not a good dog fighter, let me get that out, but I like the damage model. It gives a challenge. When your oil is over your windscreen, an elevator missing, and half your guns shot out, I find it quite "challenging" to end my fight and proceed home. I lost the fight, time to learn and keep trying. This is the time I descend to the deck, drop my gear (white flag) and limp home. But it astounds me the amount of people that will come burning in on reentry to come and get that last shot at me. You've got no defense and all of a sudden towering before you even hear a ping is quite frustrating. Do people really want their name is lights or what? I'm just dumbfounded...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:04:44 PM by Raptor05121 »
InGame: xRaptorx of the ***Alchemists***

Quote from: dirtdart
To suggest things that do not meet this basic criteria is equal to masturbation.  It may feel good to you, will not produce any tangible results, and you may be embarrassed if you get caught. 

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: No white flag?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 11:12:44 PM »
It is generally accepted in WW2 that when a pilot lowers his landing gear in a dogfight, that it is his "white flag" (sans the F4U pilots :noid ). I'm not a good dog fighter, let me get that out, but I like the damage model. It gives a challenge. When your oil is over your windscreen, an elevator missing, and half your guns shot out, I find it quite "challenging" to end my fight and proceed home. I lost the fight, time to learn and keep trying. This is the time I descend to the deck, drop my gear (white flag) and limp home. But it astounds me the amount of people that will come burning in on reentry to come and get that last shot at me. You've got no defense and all of a sudden towering before you even hear a ping is quite frustrating. Do people really want their name is lights or what? I'm just dumbfounded...

many don't even know this little factoid... that was probably ignored in WW2 at times, I'm sure (they did shoot pilots in chutes, all countries)... and of those who do know... many don't care (i'm one.)  Hunters are taught to track our wounded and finish the job. You're the deer... you need to become the hunter.  :noid

<edit: oh, and you could always bail. I can't count how many times over the years a wounded plane turned back into me when their help arrived... )  :old:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:16:42 PM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 11:26:10 PM »
No quarter, none expected, none given.

Next time before you try limping home try killing the guy who shot you up. :aok
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 11:28:26 PM »
If you're in the arena you're a target.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 11:46:38 PM »
I've never understood why anyone would expect themselves to be spared just because they're missing parts.

:airplane:@%@%@%@%@%@       -  -  -  -  -  - :airplane:   <----Me shooting damaged plane.

:O         -  -  -  -  -  - :airplane:   <----Me shooting the chute.
     :uhoh
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 11:53:21 PM »
       -  -  -  -  -  - :airplane:   <----Me shooting the chute.
     :uhoh

silly git... you aim for the meatbomb dangling below, not the chute!  At least until HT models holes in the silk...  :noid
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 12:50:53 AM »
No quarter, none expected, none given.

Next time before you try limping home try killing the guy who shot you up. :aok

I always fight till the enemy is dead or my plane cant sustain flight, then its either bail with alt. or attempt to ditch under fire.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 01:01:00 AM »
White flag? Sorry bro, we dont have any French planes.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline slimmer

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 01:12:49 AM »
White flag :rofl :rofl :rofl
Member: Hot Soup Mafia -chokin chickin noodle
 Army of Muppets

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 01:16:09 AM »
 :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl  landing gear down  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl yeah vulching on the field gear down they gave up  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 01:20:22 AM »
? I got a large collection of memoirs about dogfights from '44-'45. None of them mentions dropping gear or white flag. Wait, one does, but that happened in '45 28th of April, after the capitulation...

I broke off from his dead six sometimes and let my opponent go home... if he deserved it. Otherwise no mercy.
AoM
City of ice

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 01:29:13 AM »
Here kitty kitty kitty.  Gear down, giving up  :devil

I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 07:12:56 AM »
You do realize this is a game, right?
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 07:55:03 AM »
when I see the guy has no eninge I let him glide... he is no thread to anyone that is a lil smart and it is part of the fun ditching a damaged bird like it happened in real life many times :) .
then someone else always comes and turns the guy into a ball of fire  :cry
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 08:28:17 AM »
If it flies, it dies.  If it ditches, I need to work on my aim.