Author Topic: Bf-110c  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
Bf-110c
« on: October 29, 2011, 12:07:19 PM »
Highly underrated and under-used airframe in LW. Excellent perk farmer. Out turns spits and most everything else once they screw up and get slow (just avoid Zekes and Brews, obviously!).

Warning! (attracts pickers like flies who will disengage and run from multiple cons to try to pick you off whomever you're owning at the moment!)

But seriously, I don't think I had ever flown it more than once or twice before Thursday night, and inside of the course of about 2 hours I was averaging anywhere from 3-4 kills per sortie and collected over 120 fighter perks. Nice little ride.

Other point of note, I noticed it seems to dive very well..... but from everything I've read the 110c had a bad tendancy to shed its entire tail under the strain of a high speed dive. Any thoughts from you historians?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:09:24 PM by Reaper90 »
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: Bf-110c
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 12:23:06 PM »
As long as you fly teh dump truck my K/D will improve.  :D
Lighten up Francis

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 12:28:05 PM »
The 110C is highly under rated but the weak gun package is what I think keeps it from being used more.  That and most people probably think it flys like the G.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 12:44:40 PM »
As long as you fly teh dump truck my K/D will improve.  :D

LOL as long as you stay in that D pony at 400 mph in a cloud of friendlies, you're right!

Obviously the 110c has little chance in the vertical against LW rides like the pony and K4 and isn't gonna win a fight where the driver of the LW uber ride flies his bird correctly. In a furball, however, it holds its own well, though, and can surprise people I think, especially Spit drivers who try to get slow and reverse it. 90% of the time when they tried that they found my 110c floating there, throttled back and flaps out, and they had reversed themselves right into being in front of my nose mounted 20's, inside of D200.  :aok

Quote from: BaldEagl
The 110C is highly under rated but the weak gun package is what I think keeps it from being used more.

4 .30 cals and 2 20mm's, nose mounted, roughly the same gun package as the MW spitfires (although I'm pretty sure I remember the German 20mm wasn't quite the laser beam that the Hispano 20mm is) and better than the 109's that don't carry the tater.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:54:20 PM by Reaper90 »
Floyd

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 12:49:05 PM »
That and most people probably think it flys like the G.

Truth, and they couldn't be more wrong. The 110c and the 110g are as far apart (as far as flight characteristics are concerned) as a A6M2 and a Niki, or a 109F and a 190D-9.
Floyd

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 01:16:52 PM »
yeah the C model turns alot better then the G. If I had to dogfight in one the C is what i'd want.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 02:18:24 PM »
The Bf110 and the Hurricane remain my two biggest skepticisms flight model wise in this game.  I still think that if the Bf110C-4b, Hurricane Mk I, Bf109E-4 and Spitfire Mk Ia performed in reality like they do in Aces High we'd have the Bf110K-4 vs the Hurricane Mk XIV debate and the Bf109 and Spitfire would have been phased out.  There is little or no indication that the Bf109E-4 and Spitfire Mk Ia were the superior fighters of the Battle of Britain here.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 02:21:01 PM »
I used to consider 110s easy kills, Until i encountered Fish in the DA, and took a ava rocket to the cocpit.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 02:36:18 PM »
The Bf110 and the Hurricane remain my two biggest skepticisms flight model wise in this game.  I still think that if the Bf110C-4b, Hurricane Mk I, Bf109E-4 and Spitfire Mk Ia performed in reality like they do in Aces High we'd have the Bf110K-4 vs the Hurricane Mk XIV debate and the Bf109 and Spitfire would have been phased out.  There is little or no indication that the Bf109E-4 and Spitfire Mk Ia were the superior fighters of the Battle of Britain here.

I don't know, at least with respect to the 110c it does appear to be more nimble in-game than it historically should be, but I think the big factor is the planes it easily out-turns and gets the better of in a turnfight in LW are planes that shouldn't be turnfighting it to begin with, such as slow ponies and 190A's....

Just like in BoB if an AH Bf110c were to run into a Spit1 or Hurricane 1, it would be eaten alive unless the 110c had a big e-advantage.

I've flown Spit 1's and Hurri 1's in a couple of AH BoB snapshots, and the 109E's were more than a match for the Spits and Hurris, unless they got low, slow, and outnumbered. When they stayed high, kept their e up, and flew smart they tore our Hurricanes up.

The problem with AH seems to be that it's not how supposedly inferior plane that's doing the killing is modelled incorrectly, but that the supposedly superior plane being killed is being flown incorrectly.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 02:39:46 PM by Reaper90 »
Floyd

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 02:47:59 PM »
Reaper he might mean in the right circumstances. 

Myself I remember having an OK time in BoB scenarios while flying 110C.  It sure didn't feel like the superior plane there.  We could outrun at least the Hurricanes (IIRC), but in the 109/110/Spit/Hurri furballs the 110 was undoubtedly, even if only marginally, not the best tool for the job.

nm, you said the same
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 05:10:07 PM »
The 110c is a sleeper and can PWN most that underestimate it! One of my favorite rides.

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 05:26:40 PM »
The 110c is a sleeper and can PWN most that underestimate it! One of my favorite rides.

JUGgler

Prove it!  My memory is short.  MA is open. :D

:noid

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 06:00:49 PM »
The Spitfire was the 110C's undoing during the Battle of Britain. The 110C actually enjoyed success against the Hurricane early in the battle, and later in Africa. The 110C was significantly faster than the Hurricane, dived faster, had a better gun package and of course far greater range. Range wasn't an issue for the Hurricane during the Battle of Britain, but on other fronts like in Africa it was a clear strategic advantage for the 110. The rear-gunner was also an advantage, not so much for the gun itself, but because of the extra pair of eyes searching the sky. Most kills in WWII never saw who killed them.

The 110's bad reputation from the Battle of Britain is often overstated and really doesn't reflect its versatility and successes on other fronts and in other roles. During August and September 1940, the 110C units claimed 213 British aircraft destroyed (9 night claims) for the loss of 199 110's to enemy action (+10 losses in non operational flights and 12 in landing accidents). The majority of those claims were RAF fighters, and even taking some over-claiming into consideration the 110C's statistics in the Battle of Britain are not as bad as most people think.
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 07:34:56 PM »
The Germans overclaimed by more than three to one in those months, you know.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 08:50:29 PM »
110C can surprise some, but let's not go calling it "uber" and "can own any plane in the game" and so forth.

AI have flown it in the LWA many times, in an attempt to catch people unawares... If you can get into a flat turn, you have a chance. Getting TO that point is what kills you. Over and over. You have no pilot armor on your glass canopy. You have a slow acceleration and slow climb rate. Your roll rate isn't stellar... If you start out behind somebody you have a good chance of finishing them off.... until the 3 others pick you off, that is.

Overall in the LWA environment the 110C can be a fun challenge, but you'll spend more time getting to and from the fight, figthing smart, and avoiding nasty situations, than you will getting kills.