Author Topic: Improve the flight model -- make it even more realistic  (Read 3922 times)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: Improve the flight model -- make it even more realistic
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2011, 11:20:49 PM »
I left it to Steve Jobs to improve the Iphone.... I'll leave it to HiTech to improve the flight modelling.  Flight modelling genius, I am not.  But improvements that step it up a notch on the realism scale, with a higher priority, in other words implemented sooner rather than later, would be much appreciated.  :aok :)

Alright I'll try to explain it to you. When your making an Iphone there is no limit to how cool it can be. When you are making a simulator, it simulates something, and you can't simulate something to a more "realistic" level than the thing your simulating.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2011, 11:27:43 PM »
Alright I'll try to explain it to you. When your making an Iphone there is no limit to how cool it can be. When you are making a simulator, it simulates something, and you can't simulate something to a more "realistic" level than the thing your simulating.

:rofl  I'm not saying more realistic than real! :bhead

I am saying closer (more realistic) to real.  Please.   :cry  I can not explain it further.  I have tried.  Will now be silent.   :uhoh

:old: :airplane: :joystick: :banana:

:noid

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2011, 11:29:26 PM »
I'm done here.

I recommend you take a look at some of my previous posts.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 11:31:11 PM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2011, 11:37:06 PM »
no use trying to get anything but nonsense from him machfly, he's talking out the wrong end and has less than zero clue.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2011, 11:42:36 PM »
yeah you want the flight model improved so you can ho every single airplane in sight like you do now.  so how is that going to improve the game for you?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2011, 01:50:16 AM »
i lol-ed        Midfail again
btw. Titanic, the new stuff looks surprisingly good. The problem is with the old content, some parts of the game really looks like being 10 years old... Especially the ground textures, but heard some user-created maps look completely different. I hope they can be accepted for MA usage soon, that would help a lot.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2011, 01:51:46 AM »
but heard some user-created maps look completely different. I hope they can be accepted for MA usage soon, that would help a lot.
+10
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2011, 08:44:19 AM »
+1 on weather!
now posting as SirNuke

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2011, 10:35:48 AM »
geez, mr.clueless is talking about realism without any grasp of reality. do yourself a favor midway, give it a rest. most of us know if things got any more realistic, you couldn't get out of the hangar.
:salute rgr pre flight checks would be a pain in the arse.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2011, 01:22:57 PM »
I do notice that most of our planes seem to "land" at pretty much the same speed :noid

Do you mean stuff like that Midway?

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2011, 02:22:42 PM »
Real clouds?
And not the giant fog of bank either. Real clouds that looks real. They can be just a simple 2D layer like we have now, but thicker, but when looking from above or below, they actually look real.

Wings of Prey have clouds 100x better than ours, yet my simple low end gaming rig can run it just fine on max settings.
Jane's WWII Fighters, a 12 year old game, had a mod that made clouds look amazing, and they were just simple 2D layers.

I don't know why HTC can't use the textures and models from these games. They look way, way, WAY better, but the thing is, their flight models are crap. HTC got the flight models down, now it's time for eye candy.

People keep saying "Oh, it'll hurt my FPS", yet how is it that a 12 year old game like Jane's look 10x better. Or how a relatively new game, Wings of Prey, looks SO much better, but still has a low system requirement. My Core2Duo at 2.9Ghz and a Radeon 5570 can max out WoP at 1920x1080. I don't understand why AH can't have better graphics.

It's not going to hurt your FPS, if it does, then you were probably barely able to run this game on the lowest settings in the first place. A simple purchase of a low end card like the 5570 or a nVidia 8800 would make your gaming experience that much better, for the cost of ~$50.

How many other players were being tracked while you were playing Jane's or Wings of Prey? I don't remember the Massive Multi-Player versions.

How much additional terrain was being mapped while you were flying alone?

That may be the difference between here and there.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2011, 02:44:06 PM »
I do notice that most of our planes seem to "land" at pretty much the same speed :noid

Do you mean stuff like that Midway?

sure, anything that adds more realism to the feeling of flight.  :aok

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2011, 02:46:18 PM »
How many other players were being tracked while you were playing Jane's or Wings of Prey? I don't remember the Massive Multi-Player versions.

How much additional terrain was being mapped while you were flying alone?

That may be the difference between here and there.

wrongway

I don't understand how simple 2D clouds are going to kill someone's framerate. Does looking at the ground kill your framerate? No. If 2D clouds were added, they would probably cause less of a FPS drop by looking at them than at looking at the ground.

The game only renders what you are looking at, not the entire map/world at the same time. Currently, if you look at water, or a empty area in the sky, your FPS will always be higher than when looking at the ground, which is more detailed. Are you saying that there are people out there who can only play this game when looking at water or empty air? If your computer is SO slow that it can't even handle the ground textures, then it's either a $200 piece of crud from eMachines or something, or a 10 year old laptop.

SIMPLE 2D clouds, are not going to affect your FPS in anyway.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2011, 03:22:25 PM »
I don't understand how simple 2D clouds are going to kill someone's framerate. Does looking at the ground kill your framerate? No. If 2D clouds were added, they would probably cause less of a FPS drop by looking at them than at looking at the ground.

The game only renders what you are looking at, not the entire map/world at the same time. Currently, if you look at water, or a empty area in the sky, your FPS will always be higher than when looking at the ground, which is more detailed. Are you saying that there are people out there who can only play this game when looking at water or empty air? If your computer is SO slow that it can't even handle the ground textures, then it's either a $200 piece of crud from eMachines or something, or a 10 year old laptop.

SIMPLE 2D clouds, are not going to affect your FPS in anyway.

Clouds affect my frame rate now, which I don't understand because all I see is white. Shouldn't it make my frame rate better?

And yes, I am playing on a $200 piece of crud from eMachine that is ten years old.   :O

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2011, 03:45:37 PM »
2D clouds would be a significant downgrade from what we have now.  Why do you think otherwise?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-