Author Topic: Writing Review, Want Some Input  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Spoons - SimHQ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.simhq.com
Writing Review, Want Some Input
« on: April 10, 2000, 07:04:00 AM »
Hey all, fairly new to AH (maybe 3 weeks) and have been lurking here reading posts when I'm not flying.

Anyway, part of my review will deal with the AH "community," since IMHO that's a big part of the online flying experience.

If anyone's interested, I'd like to have some feedback about what you think of the crowd that plays AH.  Friendly?  Good teamwork?  Willing to help?  Or not?  I have my own opinions, but I wanted to include a snippet in the review about what kind of feedback I got from this question.

Related question, I guess....why are you here and not at some other game?

I hope this post is kosher for this board, but I think it is.  If you'd like to email me privately instead, that's great...my address is below.  I'm not planning on writing "Joe told me...." but instead more of a "Most said...," etc.

Thanks!  Looking forward to writing my review and having it (gulp) dissected.  

See you up there!

------------------
John Sponauer
Senior Editor, SimHQ.com
jsponauer@simhq.com

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2000, 07:25:00 AM »
Great community is what I will start with, but since I am in the office I will have to edit this later today  

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
=XO=III/JG2~Richthofen~
GMT T.O.D. SITE

JG2 "Richthofen"
Don't shoot ! I am only an observer......

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 04-10-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2000, 08:18:00 AM »
Yes, great community, but impresive flight model also. And great support from the developpers. This game, being in its initial stages, is showing us a tremendous grow potential. And this potential is being exploded wisefully by its creators. Someone may say it is still in a beta stage, well, perhaps this is true, but even in beta this sim matches and checkmates older and more mature sims like AW or WarBirds.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2000, 08:50:00 AM »
I'm a veteran of flying online flight sims for  some 10 years. I thought that after AirWarrior Dos, I would never see the tight community we had back then.

The AH community is the closest to that AWDOS community that I have experienced. Squad life here in AH is alive and well, however, those not belonging to a squad are involved and are just as important. That is not the case in other sim communities.

Considering the young life of Aces High, this sim unlike others, holds great potential for friendships to be made and rivalries to be grown.

Im enjoying myself for the first time in a long time

Rude Out!

funked

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2000, 08:59:00 AM »

I'd like to have some feedback about what you think of the crowd that plays AH. Friendly? Good teamwork? Willing to help? Or not?

The free trial means there are some bad apples at times.  People who don't care how they act because they are leaving anyways.  Kids who snagged mommy's credit card number.

But for the most part people here are great.  VERY helpful when you have a problem.  Teamwork comes and goes, but in Rookland for example, I'm starting to see larger and larger ad-hoc task forces going to work.

Related question, I guess....why are you here and not at some other game?

I'm a WW2 airplane nut.  Jet sims make me sleepy - more switchology than flying.  There are some cheaper alternatives to this game but the flight modeling etc. is not up to snuff.  There is one alternative that is on par technically, but outrageously priced.  

Also the rate of progress and use of customer feedback here is outstanding.  They don't run it like a focus group, but if somebody points out a mistake or presents an idea, they give it proper consideration and make changes if they are merited.

Finally, you get to shoot down most of the staff here.  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2000, 09:12:00 AM »
I have personally never been as excited about firing up the computer as I am now since my first flight sim on an 086 computer.  Multi-level combat with strat that boggles the mind.  At one point on Sat. night I saw tanks and 1/2 tracks battling it out with Typoons, at 10k above them there were spits and 190's battling it out, at 20K above this carnage there were intercept flights jumping incoming low-level B26's, and of course, the B17's above  them all OTW to enemy targets.  Confusion, Mayhem, 6 calls shouted out frantically on Roger Wilco, unbelievable.  Now if I can just get  a relief map, I'll be happy!

The folks that are involved  in a squad  will receive  the most satisfaction out of current AH.  Days are gone of "lone wolfs"..there's just too many targets to tempt them, and without a wingy to watch your six, you can be dead real fast.  Score monkeys will find it difficult  to run up 8-10 kills on an airfield anymore, unless  they are vehicle busting.  This is WAR!  This type of combat will leave one's hands shaking after a successful mission, it will leave  your  throat parched to  the  point  that a glass of water is mnadantory before  each session. You'll hear a strange high pitched voice on Roger Wilco and then realize that it's your own!  Now THAT'S entertainment!

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
=CO=II/JG2~Richthofen~
JG2 Communications Officer
Aces High Training Corps
JG2 "Richthofen"

Turning Spitfires into Bud Lite cans since 1992

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 04-10-2000).]

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2000, 09:34:00 AM »
Spoons   I think the comunity is the best around.  You can get flamed here but usaully the topics migrate off the subject of the flames. Everyone is willing to help, have not seen anyone give bad advice to any new players. The level of experience is the highest for a sim I have seen yet. Thats in 3 years of actively playing online (steady for long period). Aces High develops faster then any other sim out.

This Community is the best to be part of.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
  1st Aces High Trainer Corps.
Home of The Allied Fighter Wing A.F.W.
A.F.W. Homepage

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2000, 09:46:00 AM »
YEP! This community is very helpful and one can't help but get caught up in the excitement that the community has for the game, as you can see from the many positive posts.

Whenever I've asked a question on the GENERAL comm channel, I've gotten many helpful replies from friend and foe alike.

I only wish I could get these people to quit shooting me down, as it really has an adverse effect on my score    

------------------
MILENKO Homepage
<===THE ASSASSINS===>Webpage
        milnko@warbirds.org  
•CyberPilots have BIGGER Joysticks•

««You can kill me, Can't ya?»»

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2000, 10:10:00 AM »
Well I'm like a lot of the others posted above. Been flying for a while now (4 years)

Over all I think AH has the highest individual pilot skill level of any sim I've even heard of much less flown.

The community is exactly as it should be.
Meaning, treat them with respect & courtesy & you are welcomed with open arms.

Our squad moved here from Brand W less than a month ago. Welcomed is not the word. Feted perhaps comes closer. JG2 in Particular has done a excellent job of inviteing us for combined attacks & generally makeing us feel welcome.

The Community saw some major action this weekend with the release of 1.02. The arena was flooded with people new to AH. Open channel seemed to constantly have someone on it asking how to do this or that. I really have to complement EVERYONE who took the time to help out.  WTG Guys!

------------------
Maj Ghosth
XO 332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2000, 10:47:00 AM »
I have to tip my hat back to the 332nd, yesterday, in a combined ops, with about 35-40 flyers from both JG2 and 332nd, we had an outstanding cooperative mission in taking A34.  From two different directions we approached the airfield, and our timing had it as such that bombay doors from the 332nd and JG 2 opened within 30 seconds of each other.  I love it when a plan comes together like that!  <S> 332nd!

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
=CO=II/JG2~Richthofen~
JG2 Communications Officer
Aces High Training Corps
JG2 "Richthofen"

Turning Spitfires into Bud Lite cans since 1992

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 04-10-2000).]

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2000, 12:21:00 PM »
   "Y R U here?"

Guns, big guns, a lot of big guns.

Offline Camel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2000, 03:32:00 PM »
I cant add much more to these replies except, I'm proud to be apart of this community!

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2000, 05:10:00 PM »
I have to add one more thing to the community list that hasnt been mentioned yet.

Hitech, Pyro, Superfly, Natedog are  all very much a part of this community. We have AH staff flying with us on a daily basis, including weekends.

WD out..........

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2000, 05:17:00 PM »
ditto Wardog!!!

i think having the actual developers of a game involved first hand with the other players says a TON for HTC! They are immediate, intelligent in responsive, and more than willing to help and solve issues to make the sim the best it can be. Just ask..if they can...they will.

and the community.....bunch of great people! lots of witt and humor to go around!

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2000, 05:47:00 PM »
Any and all reviews of Aces High should include the following:

"and when Dago shows up, all know fear, as Dago is the ultimate warrior"

hehehehehehhe

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"