Author Topic: Getting Repairs while rearming  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: Getting Repairs while rearming
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2011, 08:12:18 PM »
Only thing that would be repaired is things like, elevator/aileron replacement, and patched up fuel tank/oil leak.

You cannot just slap new flight controls on. They have to be balanced and rigged. You don't do combat quick turns on battle damaged aircraft period. Also you don't just patchup fuel leaks much less oil leaks. You'd more often than not have the engine changed. Battle damage or any kind of damage and the plane is down for maintenance, inspection and ops checks. I'm telling you this with 16 years of experiance as a USAF F-111 and A-10 crew chief. The pilot is and always was the most important thing on an aircraft. There's risk enough to him flying combat in a healthy bird. They don't take a chance on losing them by upping them in damaged birds.  The repair pad thing is a gamey dream for people that want to reup the same aircraft so they can add to their kill tally to look impressive when they do tower out.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 08:18:03 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline --)SF----

• Copper Member
      • Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2011, 10:51:43 PM »
You cannot just slap new flight controls on. They have to be balanced and rigged. You don't do combat quick turns on battle damaged aircraft period. Also you don't just patchup fuel leaks much less oil leaks. You'd more often than not have the engine changed. Battle damage or any kind of damage and the plane is down for maintenance, inspection and ops checks. I'm telling you this with 16 years of experiance as a USAF F-111 and A-10 crew chief. The pilot is and always was the most important thing on an aircraft. There's risk enough to him flying combat in a healthy bird. They don't take a chance on losing them by upping them in damaged birds.  The repair pad thing is a gamey dream for people that want to reup the same aircraft so they can add to their kill tally to look impressive when they do tower out.

Either get rid of gv's ability to repair with supplies, or add the ability to repair plane damage.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2011, 01:08:10 AM »
Frankly speaking, the two are not equal, and don't deserve equal rights. They also are not comparable.

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2011, 01:29:00 AM »
Frankly speaking, the two are not equal, and don't deserve equal rights. They also are not comparable.
qft
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline USAF2010

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2011, 02:23:35 PM »
While I honestly don't have an opinion to wether or not we do get this, I wanna play devil's advocate.  :devil

Yes - Repairs take quite a bit of time, no doubting that. At the same time rearming doesn't take 30 seconds in real life either.  It's all about gameplay, and keeping a nice even keel between reality and the game.  :joystick:

So what I propose for the ones hell bent on trying to get these repairs on field, perhaps instead of making it a 30 second repair on the rearm pad, have them taxi to hangars and wait 2-5 min for the repairs. I would hope that this would be a little more proportional to the rearm pad time of 30 seconds, considering the real life time differences in work.  :old:

No, right now rearming is a way to keep a sortie going as a test of skill, flying multiple sorties without being damaged.  Turn the rearm in a rearm & repair and it loses any distinctions from simply reupping.

^ I honestly agree with this. The skill is certainly within the pilot to keep his crate in one piece, keeping those tired-out mechanics from having to pull their rediculous miraclous repair jobs in a 24 hour non-stop repair relay.

:salute maintainers and munitions guys past and present --- no one ever gives you guys the credit you deserve.
Defensor Fortis - Defenders of the Force
"INCOMING"

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2011, 02:47:29 PM »
Either get rid of gv's ability to repair with supplies, or add the ability to repair plane damage.

Or you can just get used to the way it is.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline --)SF----

• Copper Member
      • Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2011, 05:41:35 PM »

Id disagree with you there.  Fixing a tanks main gun so it can fire again, is no quick and simple fix.  It could take as long as fixing a planes flight control surfaces. So yes I think they are very comparable.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2011, 06:17:24 PM »
Id disagree with you there.  Fixing a tanks main gun so it can fire again, is no quick and simple fix.  It could take as long as fixing a planes flight control surfaces. So yes I think they are very comparable.
It is not comparable because the airplane can simply end flight and respawn with a completely fresh airplane a few yards where you'd have them repaired whereas a tank can end sortie and respawn many miles and tens of minutes from where they were, often losing perk points in the process.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2011, 06:22:13 PM »
gv life seems like a tough life
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline --)SF----

• Copper Member
      • Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2011, 06:42:43 PM »
It is not comparable because the airplane can simply end flight and respawn with a completely fresh airplane a few yards where you'd have them repaired whereas a tank can end sortie and respawn many miles and tens of minutes from where they were, often losing perk points in the process.

So a gamey concession to reality is ok for gv's because they may have to drive for ten minutes, but a gamey concession to reality is not ok for aircraft sine they dont have to fly for ten minutes?  Thats a lame rational.  Rejected.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2011, 06:50:11 PM »
So a gamey concession to reality is ok for gv's because they may have to drive for ten minutes, but a gamey concession to reality is not ok for aircraft sine they dont have to fly for ten minutes?  Thats a lame rational.  Rejected.
That was not the only part of it, but yes, having to drive for 10-30 mins to get back to your former position is relevant.  It is also relevant that the Tiger driver who does that loses his perks whereas the Tempest driver who lands on a runway and ends the sortie does not lose his.

Your "Rejected" is unreasonable.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2011, 07:38:28 PM »

Spoken like a Texan  :D
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2011, 07:45:44 PM »

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2011, 08:59:29 AM »
Getting Repairs while rearming

-- Flying as X15 --

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2011, 09:43:26 AM »

+1 on Shifty's practical take on the issue. 

Remember, Hitech said he wouldn't implement this feature unless it ended the sortie.  So there would really be no incentive to do the repairs even if they were available - since either way you end up with a new plane and new sortie, but getting repaired costed you game time and possibly perk points.   Why would anyone do it?    Technically, I think even landing to refuel and rearm should end your sortie - I think by definition a new sortie starts when your wheels leave the ground.

It is interesting how this request keeps popping up from time to time though.