Author Topic: game play  (Read 2515 times)

Offline seano

• Copper Member
game play
« on: November 01, 2011, 02:56:43 AM »
you guys better get it together. the main arena should not be this dead at this time of night. reminds me of air warrior.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: game play
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 03:27:02 AM »
Seano,

Known you for a number of years.  It has always been pleasant no matter whether combatants of wingmen.  :salute

It is hard to describe in terms that anyone who doesn't have the schedule that we do, can understand. 

This is a list of things that can attribute to the lack luster game play at times.

Large maps with smaller participants, scatters an already depleted force.

Player based criticism of players not country loyal.

Win the war objectives that are not shared by an overwhelming majority.

Only the individuals who pay for the privileges to play have control over their actions.

CONCLUSION:

Dusting off a new shiny toy here and there, will keep some interested for a short time.

Until a new "version" of Main Arena play evolves, the popularity will continue to slide.

Given the addition of the custom arenas, I would maintain my subscription even if the only action during Euro time came from these player based servers.

Other than the friendships that I have developed over the years, I find too often others don't behave the way I wish they would.

The dynamic with large maps, no clear leaders and 3 countries is too complicated for the average player to conform to a set of pre conceived ideas about winning.  Thus a third country will continue to fight another country to the demise of its own chances of winning.  Maybe their definition of winning is being superior to the force they chose to fight, and not being superior in tactics.  Basically, some folks are purely interested in their scores, k/d ratios, possibly ability to fly with an advantage, and not interested in the least what happens to the war.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 03:42:14 AM »
Chili - I think it's simply a matter of timing for Seano.  :noid

3:40am CST... the only ones on now are the late west coasters and the pacific: aussies, kiwis and japanese.  :joystick:

Everyone else is in bed.  :old: 

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 04:33:17 AM »
Two years ago twice as more people were playing the game in this time zone. It's pretty obvious that the game is dieing slowly and in next two years will become quite a miserable place ... This is not because now-days people are not interested in WWII combat flying games. Many people like to play  Il-2 but do not have intention to play AH. In 10+ years of development AH gameplay (which  was built around Main Arena) was not improved enough to keep customer base growing. HTC did not give motivations for people to fly early war planes in MA  and as a result was not motivated to model these planes. The pricing plan which was probably good 10 years ago is not flexible today and makes situation even worse.  Many online games now-days give the opportunity to play online with basic features for free or for a single payment like a boxed games and if the customers want more they can purchase advanced features by additional payments.
This could be implemented in AH with early war planeset as basic setup - and mid/ later war - as advanced. This could save the situation and bring the numbers back. It must be done ASAP or it will be too late. It is not a secret that IL-2 is going to become a mass multiplayer game in quite a nearest future and if they introduce such setup I can not see the way for AH to survive.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 07:51:54 AM »
Two years ago twice as more people were playing the game in this time zone. It's pretty obvious that the game is dieing slowly and in next two years will become quite a miserable place ... This is not because now-days people are not interested in WWII combat flying games. Many people like to play  Il-2 but do not have intention to play AH. In 10+ years of development AH gameplay (which  was built around Main Arena) was not improved enough to keep customer base growing. HTC did not give motivations for people to fly early war planes in MA  and as a result was not motivated to model these planes. The pricing plan which was probably good 10 years ago is not flexible today and makes situation even worse.  Many online games now-days give the opportunity to play online with basic features for free or for a single payment like a boxed games and if the customers want more they can purchase advanced features by additional payments.
This could be implemented in AH with early war planeset as basic setup - and mid/ later war - as advanced. This could save the situation and bring the numbers back. It must be done ASAP or it will be too late. It is not a secret that IL-2 is going to become a mass multiplayer game in quite a nearest future and if they introduce such setup I can not see the way for AH to survive.
oh look, another flight sim marketing expert. i have no idea how htc has gotten by for so long without such expertise.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 08:05:25 AM »
oh look, another flight sim marketing expert. i have no idea how htc has gotten by for so long without such expertise.

I echo the same sentiment.  The "the sky is falling" crowd just may want to sit back and relax and enjoy the game and let HTC worry about marketing and expansion.  Perhaps AH is right where they want it, perhaps not.  I know I wouldn't want all that many more players under some of the current situations. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:51:29 AM »
I don't know about others, but my loyalties are with AH2, and unless a great deal of my friends went someplace else, I wouldn't have any interest in any of HTC's competitors as a replacement.  I think that Seano's writing on the wall was only meant as a catalyst to promote conversation about whatever a "together act" should be.

I don't have statistics on any other gaming platform so I have nothing to compare it to for early morning and other hemisphere time zones.  What I do believe to be true is that the numbers have seemed to hit the lows more so, when the map, group or players, or the moon is out of alignment.  A night or two later the numbers are back and even more robust than before. 

My point is that some set of experiences are more gratifying than others.  Flying around with squad mates, and chewing the fat seems to go a long way.  This time of day squad mates are few and far in between.  Add to that the few players that do not cooperate with each other and grief their own wingmen and countrymen, and it is better to log off and come here and say something is not clicking with the game play anymore. 

I have tried to insert my views on what is or isn't fun online, and often it gets ugly.  "It" being my conversations with those that are not wanting to hear any debate about how their game play effects others.

The perfect example at the moment seems to be the large squads that work together to win.  They do what the game is designed for them to do.  For the rest it is hit or miss with getting a group interested in the game designed for them.  It all goes back to the statement that the war was meant to be a back drop to bring air combat to the game.  In fact, it brings less and less air combat, unless there is a fleet parked outside of an enemy field.  Then you will see some air combat, until the lanc-stukas arrive.

The bottom line is don't look for any big bump in new subscriptions, until the player base is ready to be more welcoming and not just for cannon fodder.  :noid

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 12:23:02 PM »

lol How is your flight sim coming along. Your post is full of holes.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 12:34:57 PM »
The maps are too big for late night. Small maps promote fights...well atleast some human contact. And Big maps promote sneaking and milking.

Also I think the game is just uninteresting at times. If they had some kind of strat/HQ capture objectives or something. Last night 3am, was flying over city and factories and thought to myself "what a waste of space". All those roads and buildings to hide around would make for some fun fights! But it just sits there  :frown: I miss the ack trains. I'd like to see those back and in some of the towns.
I'd like to see varied rebuild times on supplies and buildings, all dependant on factory status.
I liked the ability to pork fuel at a base to 25% too. I liked muli scattered factories instead of 1 glob seventeen sectors away.....sheep! i liked the sheep

Build it and they will come  :old:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 01:00:09 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 01:41:36 PM »
lol How is your flight sim coming along. Your post is full of holes.

But that means it IS holey, which means it's religous and religion is based on faith. There for... You have to have faith that it's right!  :angel:

I sure can't wait for his uber new sim to the shelves. Should be freaking awesome.  :rock
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline Grundle1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 02:28:54 PM »
The game is 90% great - and all credit to HTC.  As a lifelong aircraft and military history enthusiast, I could not be happier to find properly modeled historical planes.  I'm in this largely for the planes, so I'm happy.

The gameplay, on the other hand, could be improved.   It is asinine to say "I can't wait to see his uber sim...", as though his opinion doesn't count and AH2 is beyond criticism.  I'm sure that HTC can take constructive criticism.  Any business must engage in constant analysis of its product(s) - if it wants to stay in business.

Many players are really focused on gaming and scores.   If HTC is to maintain its position relative to current and future combat sims/games, then the gameplay should be a focus.  Clearly, there should be a link between the state of your country/supplies and the quantity of aircraft that might be available at a certain field.   Do you realize that causing players to up from more distant bases would result in more high alt battles and strategic movement of aircraft?    What about supply ships? Couldn't they be introduced relatively easily?   I could sit here and think of a hundred ways to improve the gameplay.   If the possible improvements are that obvious to me, then they must be very frustrating to the many pure gamers that inhabit AH2.  

I'm going to end by (once again) thanking HTC for creating a marvellous product.   Hopefully, the constructive criticism is well taken.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 02:30:29 PM by Grundle1 »

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
grundle, unfortunately any time someone mentions il2, it's the eye candy they are looking at, nothing more.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 02:47:06 PM »
Clearly, there should be a link between the state of your country/supplies and the quantity of aircraft that might be available at a certain field.   Do you realize that causing players to up from more distant bases would result in more high alt battles and strategic movement of aircraft?  

Yes, I do. However, while giving players incentive to lift from remote bases is fine, doing so by removing the ability to get in the fight quickly and with relative ease won't exactly help AH's overall appeal. Many players are casual ones, having just a limited amount of time to have fun each time they log on. So introducing additional restrictions is always a very tenuous thing.

And there are quite many players who do actually frown upon high alt combat ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Mendo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 04:19:38 PM »
Hats off to Hitech, fantastic game! I have played for a fair number of years as have most of the die hard players, who by and large are aviation and history buffs. AH is not an arcade game by any means and never will be, that is what has and will keep it going. Prophets of doom who think the game structure and gameplay are stale and not attractive to new players ought to switch to xbox or ps3 and let us have our fun. That said, I recall a couple times a year that I have seen AH commercials over the years and around those times their have always been an influx of new players. Some of them are looking for a shoot em up eye candy arcade style game and dont stay around long, but we always get those who share the fascination with history and ww2 like most of us. Advertising on History channel or the Military channel would net us the players I think Hitech has geared itself to. Now, some people might not like what I say next but oh well Ill say it anyway. If someone is bored or thinks the action is lacking at times Maybe they ought to try something in the game other than a pick/run aproach in a pony with a gazillion hours of fuel in it used to avoid anything close to the "fight" they claim to want. ( running from anything within 5k that has similar alt/e and threatens your grazing area isnt my personal idea of "combat" ) Try doing something without needing to hold all the advantages to commit. Im not pointing fingers but if running away from anything thats not an easy pick is the focus of your play your the root cause of the "old and boring, stale and so on" story the nay sayers prattle on about. Again, this is not directed at any specific players and is just my opinion on an old rehashed portion of the gameplay. I would be happy if they perked everything under 25 eny even if it was only a point for the higher eny planes and only like 3 perks for a 5 eny plane. Again, well done Hitech and keep up the good work.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »
The maps are too big for late night. Small maps promote fights...well atleast some human contact. And Big maps promote sneaking and milking.

It's more likely that many players don't WANT to fight. A big map just makes it easier for them to avoid it. They'll still do it on a small map, they just can't run too far to hide.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals