Author Topic: What arenas would you like to see?  (Read 3140 times)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Re: What arenas would you like to see?
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2011, 04:07:32 PM »
An arena where the strats determine the ENY. You protect yours and destroy the enemies. At a certain point the map resets when the enemy ENY gets too low for the numbers logged onto that side. Perhaps have regions of strats controlling different fields across the map. One huge successful buff raid could cripple a sector's airfields.

If enough sectors are shut down it would reset the map. Something along those lines. Also after a reset, a banner on the main page would congratulate the winning side and post total losses for each.

Something to enrich the game a little more than grabbing bases. Ya ya same old whine..but its my whine.

~AoM~

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2011, 05:25:12 PM »
A complete set of new maps would work.

I"ll tell you what, ya'll get together and pay me $20 an hour and I will spend 40 hours a week doing nothing but building new maps. Even the wife couldn't argue with that!

Online CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2011, 05:28:02 PM »

In other words, a scenario enforced (shutting down all alternative places) on all players,

Yes.... It is time to get be to get back to the History of the war and planes. Even if we have to force it on them. If we don't the gamers will turn AH just another XBOX game.

but without als the rules and setup tweaks which do balance such an event and make it possible in the first place.

AW ran "war weekends" and had auto scenarios, WB's AvA ran 24/7 and WW2OL if you think about is just one big open ended scenario.

I still have hope HTC has another go at "Combat Tour" anything but the so called Late War arena...... "War"

CAVALRY
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2011, 05:31:12 PM »
I could see much more significant improvements than just "new maps". Once you have a certain variety, from island maps to more GV oriented ones, from large to small ones, new maps will just be "new", but won't add much to the gameplay or change arena dynamics. At that point it's just another pic on your clipboard - nice to see something new for a few days, but that's about it.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2011, 05:38:04 PM »

Yes.... It is time to get be to get back to the History of the war and planes.

Get back?
I never noticed AH being about "the history of the war" in the first place ;) ... There has always been an "everything goes" MA, and it always had been main point of all activity.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2011, 05:52:08 PM »

Yes.... It is time to get be to get back to the History of the war and planes. Even if we have to force it on them. If we don't the gamers will turn AH just another XBOX game.

AW ran "war weekends" and had auto scenarios, WB's AvA ran 24/7 and WW2OL if you think about is just one big open ended scenario.

I still have hope HTC has another go at "Combat Tour" anything but the so called Late War arena...... "War"

CAVALRY

I'm sure there are a ot of things they (HTC) could do to twist how the game is played, but the question is will they?

At this time who are the ones paying the subscriptions right now? Lusche, whip up a chart showing the "history buffs" as compared to the "gamer types". j/k If it could be made I'm sure that the majority would be gamer types. Just for the sake of this conversation, I'm calling all of those players that couldn't care less about a fight. Whether its 1 on 1, or squad against squad, or country against country they just don't want to have anything to do with it. The game is to capture enough bases to win the war. It doesn't matter how they get there, they just NEED to get there.

If HTC "forced" players into a "senario" type of play a large portion of the "gamers" would cancel and move on to some other game. If you make the "win the war" portion of the game to hard, or with too many rules to get there, they won't want to be bothered. So if HTC made the move they most likely would be cutting their own throat.

I could see much more significant improvements than just "new maps". Once you have a certain variety, from island maps to more GV oriented ones, from large to small ones, new maps will just be "new", but won't add much to the gameplay or change arena dynamics. At that point it's just another pic on your clipboard - nice to see something new for a few days, but that's about it.

I don't know Lusche. I'm not sure of the restriction of the maps But I can think of a number of ways to change things up. If map building was "your job" you would be basically in charge of the game world. Say I build a new island map. In it maybe throw a few long spawns in that while you can spawn behind enemy lines your still 20 miles from the nearest enemy spawn/base. Would this create more GV battles that are NOT spawn camps? Create a choke point like A1 on the map with tank town in the middle, but instead of mountain going all the way to the coast have a section of front 3 or 4 sectors long with out the mountains so you can run a flanking mission if you don't like head to head like A1 becomes. Once the maps "OKed" if you have all the source files why couldn't you change things up? Move a few spawn points, add a base or two, or take a few away and resubmit the map. Getting it passed again should be less trouble as you haven't built the whole thing from scratch, but that "same old map" now has some new dynamics in it and changes how the fight goes.

Again, I've never messed with the maps and don't even know if what I suggest here could work, but if you have a map maker doing nothing but making maps it would be easy to add new maps on each "update" HTC puts out and if editing maps is allowed, tweaked versions much more often.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2011, 05:57:10 PM »

Get back?
I never noticed AH being about "the history of the war" in the first place ;) ... There has always been an "everything goes" MA, and it always had been main point of all activity.

ahhh you young buck!

10 years ago it WAS all about the fight. Everyone was their favorite WWII pilot and flew the plane that was closest to theirs (we didn't have as many planes back then) and as for base capture, it didn't happened any where like it dose now. It took a week to capture what most do in an afternoon now. They use to reset the map every week because nobody ever won the war.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2011, 06:08:13 PM »
You are missing the point. It's not about how we fight (or not) in the MA. that Quote was in reference to the real war, and no, AH was never revolving around that. We always had a totally "unrealistic" MA. This had never been about the real war other than the machines.

and as for base capture, it didn't happened any where like it dose now. It took a week to capture what most do in an afternoon now.

This is completely incorrect as I have shown you in another thread. 10 years ago we had much more base captures. We have now LESS base captures than ever.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2011, 09:17:06 PM »
You are missing the point. It's not about how we fight (or not) in the MA. that Quote was in reference to the real war, and no, AH was never revolving around that. We always had a totally "unrealistic" MA. This had never been about the real war other than the machines.

Sorry, miss understood you.

This is completely incorrect as I have shown you in another thread. 10 years ago we had much more base captures. We have now LESS base captures than ever.

all you have shown is that you can compile data and interpret it as you see fit.

If a single base is fought over all night and changes hands 20 times it is combat. If a horde runs around grabbing 20 bases in a night its NOT. Same data, totally different story. I prefer the old days when we had combat as opposed to todays "game" where we chase hordes. 

Offline noTch

• Silver Member
      • JV44 Butcher Birds
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2011, 10:17:34 PM »
How about a Tank arena with GV's, CV's & observer aircraft only.  Little cessna like jobby's with smoke rockets to mark with :aok
AHXARL Lead Campaign Manager/2012-?

My new favorite clip--->http://youtu.be/_2Nn4wAVNOg

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2011, 10:47:24 PM »
Sall you have shown is that you can compile data and interpret it as you see fit.

You are the one making up stories and then twisting around when confronted with reality, just to support your story of an golden age bar any dweebiness. You are the one spreading misinformation.

It took a week to capture what most do in an afternoon now. They use to reset the map every week because nobody ever won the war.

There is next to no truth in that statement.

There was no weekly reset in 2001. It did not exist back then. It came years later.  But interestingly we do have it in 2011 - reintroduced because the war isn't always won in reasonable time. In 2001 maps did only change by whining the war, which happened frequently. Sometimes it took 10 days, sometimes there were several resets in a week. Just like today They also got the perks for it.

They did capture bases more often, much faster, and with much less kills, not exactly a sign of "epic battles exclusively".  Yes, they had been there, no doubt. But also hundreds of sneaked and rushed bases every tour.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2011, 09:14:50 AM »
There is more than one arena.

I'd just like to see at least one arena have historic match-ups that encompass the entire planeset.

As it is now, we don't have that.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2011, 07:21:35 PM »

You are the one making up stories and then twisting around when confronted with reality, just to support your story of an golden age bar any dweebiness. You are the one spreading misinformation.

There is next to no truth in that statement.

There was no weekly reset in 2001. It did not exist back then. It came years later.  But interestingly we do have it in 2011 - reintroduced because the war isn't always won in reasonable time. In 2001 maps did only change by whining the war, which happened frequently. Sometimes it took 10 days, sometimes there were several resets in a week. Just like today They also got the perks for it.

They did capture bases more often, much faster, and with much less kills, not exactly a sign of "epic battles exclusively".  Yes, they had been there, no doubt. But also hundreds of sneaked and rushed bases every tour.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. The only difference between you and your "conclusions" and me and my "possibly faulty memory" is I was there, you weren't

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2011, 07:27:15 PM »
Persistent Allies vs Axis, rolling plane set, with whatever can be salvaged from Combat Tour enabled.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2011, 11:28:46 PM »
it would involve AvA for sure. . .that has the most potential for improvement.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO