Author Topic: AVA TOP 50 PILOTS *Tour 115*  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: AVA TOP 50 PILOTS *Tour 115*
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 01:45:23 PM »
Guys what your saying doesn't happen in the arena your not being productive.. We have been posting this for many months without the side effects your speaking about.

We've been posting "Top 50" for months?

Also, be cautious about judging ability or commitment based on "STATS".  They are really no more than an ego booster for the individual and mean absolutely nothing in reality.

You are right about the stats not generating MA type behavior since posting started.  The MA behavior was leaking into the arena well before that and still does.  It's not how the majority fly in the AVA, but it's still there.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:32:28 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 02:06:44 PM »
Guys what your saying doesn't happen in the arena your not being productive.. We have been posting this for many months without the side effects your speaking about.

your postings serve only to unfairly shed a bad light on the arena they are not based in fact but rather assumptions. Based what your stats are showing, neither of you guys are spending any significant time in the arena.. so Its understandable your would be out of the loop..

Perhaps less time on the BBS and more time in the arena my shed some light on how off base you are..

Work keeps me away quite a bit unfortunately. But when i do log in I fly in the AVA, which by the way, I probably have more time in than you have in flight sims total. I can tell you that historically the AVA was a scoreless arena.

The idea that you are only displaying what is already available for those who wish to look is slight of hand. In reality what that does is foster the idea that this is an arena where being the top scorer matters.  If this is to be where the AVA 's destination is, so be it. Obviously it caters to the majority and if they are appeased then it is a good thing.

As for me, I will embrace the new objective and throw my efforts into it wholeheartedly!

cheers,

RTR
The Damned

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »
Work keeps me away quite a bit unfortunately. But when i do log in I fly in the AVA, which by the way, I probably have more time in than you have in flight sims total. I can tell you that historically the AVA was a scoreless arena.

The idea that you are only displaying what is already available for those who wish to look is slight of hand. In reality what that does is foster the idea that this is an arena where being the top scorer matters.  If this is to be where the AVA 's destination is, so be it. Obviously it caters to the majority and if they are appeased then it is a good thing.

As for me, I will embrace the new objective and throw my efforts into it wholeheartedly!

cheers,

RTR

I'm sorry RTR that work keeps you away we miss you! Its always a good fight against you.
 I recognise your a Ava veteran and your service doesn't go unnoticed, your points are well taken. We feared the same about score whooring ect but we gave it a try  ... Please remember the stats have been posted in one for or another since march this isn't a new thing..  There has been no ill effect on the arena at all..  Ask any that fly there...

Its a great group of guys with WTG and ~S~ all around. We don't participate in score whoooring or 12 clearing.. It hasn't been an issue.. Only issue has been here on the BBS this week for some reason, and only by those assuming it will become an issue...

I have already stated the befits to using the stats as a tool to help one improve their Hit % or perhaps for recruiting purposes etc.

There are some that like to look at stats as a point of general interest also..

If rank motivates a few to return to the arena nightly to improve or work toward a personal goal so be it. ..As long as their flying style isn't rude or disruptive to others.
Just because you don't agree with it, there is no reason to shame anyone for doing so.

Fortunately we have none of that score whooring stuff or the 12 clearing, kill stealing ,  and will not tolerate it .  Folks catch on real fast that that isn't tolerated.
Remember  a good score can be achieved by flying clean and that's what were are all about, you should have noticed that by now..

We have a mature following.
Its silly to get stuck on a non issue..  :salute
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »
Sorry Raven, but I'm not sure what you mean by it will not be tolerated. Other than blatant disruptive behavior we have never disciplined anybody in the AVA for not following the unwritten rules.
Any admin who sent an individual on a time out for not following the unwritten rules would be summarily dismissed I am sure, as it is an arena open to all. Again not talking about blatant disregard for the arena IE running the map, disruptive behavior etc.

Please don't misconstrue what I am saying here. I know that most here fight a fair fight, don't run to mama and in general don't score whooore. (Why is that a potato word?)

However, posting and congratulating those who score well encourages the concept that score is a valued part of the AVA environment. Imagine if you will, pixel pushers of the skill and talent we have seen come through here all flying for score. It would make a pretty frustrating time in here for those of us who are in it for the fight...win or lose. Or you would end up with an arena where everybody B&Z's and runs...might as well be playing off line.

The AVA has always provided a little different attitude than the MA's and that has been a time tested formula for a long time. Don't get me wrong, I embrace change, and lord knows the AVA can stale and needs some boosts once in a while, but fostering an MA style of attitude is not a good way to go, in my humble opinion.

I have never flown for score here, and despite my earlier post I probably won't start, its not fun for me. Anybody can look up my past scores and this would bear up. Although I am not the best stick that has ever flown in here, I am pretty comfortable and always give a pretty tough fight. Scores don't show ability, they are a meaningless goal in the purpose of the AVA as it used to be.

Maybe I am wrong and way out in left field, but time will tell.

cheers,
RTR
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 05:03:59 PM by RTR »
The Damned

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2011, 05:08:55 PM »
Sorry Raven, but I'm not sure what you mean by it will not be tolerated. Other than blatant disruptive behavior we have never disciplined anybody in the AVA for not following the unwritten rules.
Any admin who sent an individual on a time out for not following the unwritten rules would be summarily dismissed I am sure, as it is an arena open to all. Again not talking about blatant disregard for the arena IE running the map, disruptive behavior etc.

Please don't misconstrue what I am saying here. I know that most here fight a fair fight, don't run to mama and in general don't score whooore. (Why is that a potato word?)

However, posting and congratulating those who score well encourages the concept that score is a valued part of the AVA environment. Imagine if you will, pixel pushers of the skill and talent we have seen come through here all flying for score. It would make a pretty frustrating time in here for those of us who are in it for the fight...win or lose. Or you would end up with an arena where everybody B&Z's and runs...might as well be playing off line.

The AVA has always provided a little different attitude than the MA's and that has been a time tested formula for a long time. Don't get me wrong, I embrace change, and lord knows the AVA can stale and needs some boosts once in a while, but fostering an MA style of attitude is not a good way to go, in my humble opinion.

I have never flown for score here, and despite my earlier post I probably won't start, its not fun for me. Anybody can look up my past scores and this would bear up. Although I am not the best stick that has ever flown in here, I am pretty comfortable and always give a pretty tough fight. Scores don't show ability, they are a meaningless goal in the purpose of the AVA as it used to be.

Maybe I am wrong and way out in left field, but time will tell.

cheers,
RTR

bolded.....THAT is what i experienced the very first time i ever flew in there. along with the exalration of the battle,
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 05:19:48 PM »
HOW DARE YOU POST FIGHTER SCORES IN THE AvA FORUM!

IT'S AN ABOMINATION!

I only come here to find "my" kind of fight and now the arena will be flooded with MA types. Because, ya know, now everyone will want to get on this prestigious scoreboard.

You have ruined the sanctity of this most honorable arena by forcing me to look at this thread.

(I hope you know that was dripping with sarcasm directed at the more pious members.)

Get over it and get to fighting please.

:salute
See Rule #4

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 09:41:57 PM »
Melvin, it has nothing to do with that. I simply am pointing out that if you set goals that are indicative of the MA, then you will have another MA. I find absolutely nothing wrong with the MA as it is currently set up. Indeed I find some fun in there occasionally.

The only issue I have with the current staff is the direction that is being taken with the AVA. The AVA, that has been a different set up all together from the MA since its inception. Which by the way was a concession so to speak from HTC. The AVA was never policed by HTC and was an arena given to the players to develop, was originally called the CT (combat theater) and was very well received for what it was.

It was never intended to be a mini MA. It was different. The difference is disappearing.

I merely ask why.

RTR

The Damned

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 11:01:33 PM »
I can only give my perspective.

My feeling is that what separates it from the MA is the fact that the plane sets are historically matched.

When I hear someone say it is becoming more like the MA, what I am hearing is that it should be a dogfight only arena.

I just see that as too limiting.

I like to add some objectives, sometimes capture, sometimes strat destruction. But whatever the objectives they need to be accomplished with the planeset that is enabled not with hordes of Lankstukas.

While dog fights can occur in a setup that also has a strategic objective, the reverse is not true.

No one is excluded, if someone wants only to dogfight then that's fine, but why not allow for some teamwork goals too?

I don't know where scores fit in all this, some people like to see them, others want us to even disable kill messages.

It will never be like the MA, because it will never be any plane from any country at any time.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 11:29:05 PM »
See Rules #4, #6
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:53:22 PM by Skuzzy »
The Damned

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2011, 07:33:18 AM »
See Rules #4, #6
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:53:37 PM by Skuzzy »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2011, 08:45:23 AM »
See Rules #4, #6
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:53:51 PM by Skuzzy »
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Twizzty

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2011, 10:33:59 AM »
twizzty was always a good fight. sometimes he was a sneaky bastage though....... :devil
Yeah, that sounds about right CAP.  :angel:

:salute RTR, Oldman, NrRaven & USRanger! Very fun fights last night.

Meteor Interception of Luftwannabe Forces.
Current status of M.I.L.F: On standby - awaiting aircraft.
The Few

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2011, 10:34:27 AM »
I care not for score, so how does the figure into you your staffing statement? :headscratch:  Each to their own I say.  Some like it, some don't even know it's there. :aok  

Yeah, what score?    :headscratch:

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2011, 10:47:49 AM »
Yeah, that sounds about right CAP.  :angel:

:salute RTR, Oldman, NrRaven & USRanger! Very fun fights last night.

JUST TO BE clear, i was being sarcastic. i've always enjoyed fights with you, regardless if i fly away in one piece, or fall away in many pieces.  :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2011, 10:57:19 AM »
See Rules #4, #6
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:54:17 PM by Skuzzy »
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi