Author Topic: De-acking hurts  (Read 1335 times)

Offline hotard

• Copper Member
      • nampamodelaviators.org
Re: De-acking hurts
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 05:35:34 PM »
Bf-110 has great fire power, but way too big of a target. The faster and more nimble the better. Cannons the best, as you can snap-shot a gun down; .50's you have to dwell on the target. I *cough*admire *cough*  the guys who can fly down the length of a small field, taking out 4-5 guns without a scratch.
Guys like me are the reason guys like you hate LA's

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2011, 05:37:39 PM »
...... can't tell if you're seriously thinking they would put that in a manual, or if you're just playing along with the joke.

No, its not actually on the list. Infact, there is no list of procedures that I'm aware of.

If there were, the propoganda would already have stated that the AA gunners are either incompetent or too drunk to see, and so therefore the pilot is invincible, so the 'pray' item would be a contradiction to previous statments. German propoganda may be full of BS, but its smart BS, if you know what I mean.

I realized it was a joke after you said "of course".
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2011, 05:38:22 PM »
Bf-110 has great fire power, but way too big of a target. The faster and more nimble the better. Cannons the best, as you can snap-shot a gun down; .50's you have to dwell on the target.

Agreed
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2011, 05:41:13 PM »
Hotard, try it in a 190A5 or A8. Start from 5-6k, dive in, and hug the ground.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2011, 05:47:39 PM »
Hotard, try it in a 190A5 or A8. Start from 5-6k, dive in, and hug the ground.

Hugging the ground will bleed off too much energy going around obstacles.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
Thats why you set up your approach so you don't have to dodge any. When I do this, I usually make a run down one side of the runway,  killing any and all guns that get close to my nose (tap the rudder to adjust aim left or right), and then I zoom out the other side.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 06:24:07 PM »
Thats why you set up your approach so you don't have to dodge any. When I do this, I usually make a run down one side of the runway,  killing any and all guns that get close to my nose (tap the rudder to adjust aim left or right), and then I zoom out the other side.

Than you would be flying directly towards a gun for a long time, this would make you an easy target.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 06:38:45 PM »
Any run that isn't cutting across one of the corners on the field puts you flying towards a gun for a long time.

And sorry, I was thinking of the A5/A8 for the quick dive in on the outside of the field. I was thinking of the F8, with its great frontal armor for the dive through the middle approach.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2011, 06:50:15 PM »
Any run that isn't cutting across one of the corners on the field puts you flying towards a gun for a long time.

No it doesn't, your pointing directly towards a gun only when your firing at it or when you aligned yourself to take out more than one gun in a straight line.
The way you should do it is when rolling out of a turn (or pulling out of a dive) the ack gun becomes in your sight and you fire, you can't afford to align it in your sight. When you make a pass to take out more than one gun you'll be pointing towards more than one gun at the same time, but because you can only fire at one and they all can fire at you the odds of you getting hit significantly increase.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 06:54:18 PM »
Yet the volume of fire also reduces slower, and it takes longer to get it done overall.

My view on the matter is that if we need the field de-acked, and we need it de-acked now, its better to take out as much ack as quickly as possible so your friends deacking with you don't get hit as much, and come back with a fresh plane if you die, than to take your time and loose momentum in an attack.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:09:15 PM by Tank-Ace »

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2011, 06:57:03 PM »
Your right. When your alone however in order to survive you have to be doing it the way I described above.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2011, 07:13:14 PM »
Of course the situations in which a single plane is depended on to deack an entire field is rare.

Usually such a situation results from a small preciecly planned and timed raid, or from a failed or poorly planned attack.

Only other time I can think of when you would be alone is if you're in the middle of a big fight, and you're the only one who decides to de-ack, aiding your friends at the expense of your cartoon life.

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2011, 07:20:22 PM »
The old map was so much easier...could usually de-ack and entire port or V-base with one Jug and a couple passes. It's a little tougher now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTcA1joVuBA   :salute
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:28:47 PM by W7LPNRICK »
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2011, 10:46:04 PM »
Even though my all time fav ride is the Jug, it IS possible to deack w a spit, given.  My nomination for best ack-buster= 190A8.  Small profile, reasonable toughness, radial engine, fuel tanks that don't pop often and last but not least, good firepower.
NEVER underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
-http://despair.com/demotivators.html

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” -Einstein

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2011, 11:44:26 AM »
Has anybody acquired the expertise to use the B25h big gun or the yak9t 37mm for ack killing with a bit more stand-off distance?

I've hit bombers at 2k out with the yak9t gun but haven't gotten good enough with it for deacking.