Author Topic: A Few Thoughts About Realism  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: A Few Thoughts About Realism
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2011, 06:34:26 PM »
That's a very convenient double standard that benefits GV play and hurts air play, by the way.

Ground troops radioing in positions, friendly tanks telling air support where AA is located, etc, are just as likely (if not MORE so!) to be communicated via radio.

But exact location is harder to convey through words. "Oh, hes about 1000yds ahead of me, and slightly to the left" viewed from 4000ft isn't that specific. What you hear next is "oh what the hell man! you said he was 1000yds infront of you, not 1500!" as the pilot viloently tries to dodge 20mm shells.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2011, 06:37:50 PM »
That's a nonsensical comment.

the same could just as easily be said of hitting roadkill while driving down a freeway, or looking over your shoulder while flying a plane.

Again, it's a very convenient double standard that GV proponents love to request or perpetuate. It doesn't help gameplay and only hurts others. Basically it's moving step by step closer to a AH arena where GVs are invisible and invincible but can kill anything in the skies for miles. If they have their way, that is.

Offline DakOne

• Zinc Member
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2011, 10:21:38 AM »
Auxillary Airfields only visible on your country for emergency landings or to be able to refuel say to 25% to get you home would be nice.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2011, 02:11:08 PM »
Auxillary Airfields only visible on your country for emergency landings or to be able to refuel say to 25% to get you home would be nice.

of course and also have the ability to repair your airplane and replace the wounded pilot  :D.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2011, 02:28:29 PM »
I propose we have a totally new damage repair system. Not only would it repair all leaks, damage, oil, and refill all your guns and bombs, but it would tie the bombs/guns/gas loadouts to what's available at the field you're hotpadding (I know this part has been requested a lot!). Once on the hotpad, you would activate this command in 2 parts. The first is .ef, and the second is .fly, both executed through the text command buffer.

I heard rumors that HTC snuck this into the game already... can somebody confirm the next time they need repairs?  :noid

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2011, 02:29:49 PM »
Oh, and EF = "Extreme Fix" mode. Makes your view jump until you type .fly but you can just pretend you're waiting for the fix before getting back in with the .fly.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2011, 03:06:59 PM »
     What, no powerups??   what a gyp  :D
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2011, 06:47:53 PM »
That's a nonsensical comment.

the same could just as easily be said of hitting roadkill while driving down a freeway, or looking over your shoulder while flying a plane.

Again, it's a very convenient double standard that GV proponents love to request or perpetuate. It doesn't help gameplay and only hurts others. Basically it's moving step by step closer to a AH arena where GVs are invisible and invincible but can kill anything in the skies for miles. If they have their way, that is.

How is that nonsensical? It followed logicly from the quote. Now the "hitting roadkill and looking over your shoulder" part.... now thats nonsensical.

Lol, yeah, no benefit at all to the cover actually becoming cover  :rolleyes:. God forbid that I should be invisible from the air when I'm in a stand of trees so thick, I can't even see the sky.

IMO, GV's should have icons visible only to friendlies (clearly possible, since you can only see friendly GV icons when in a GV). If it weren't for the obvious difficulty with identification of friend/foe, I would say no GV icons for aircraft, even friendly.

The ONLY thing thats changed, is that killing GV's from the air actually requires some thought and planning besides "red icon...... *bomb release noises*". If you want to have a modern IFF system.... well then that gives us the perfect reason to add recon planes. If one is in the area, he could serve as an AWACS. Perhaps if he is within 1.5k of a GV, and you're within 2-3k of him, then the icon becomes visible to you.

Double standard my arse.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:51:35 PM by Tank-Ace »
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2011, 07:02:36 PM »
George, Bob and Frank role play.
Right, but I was speaking of George who is in a AA platform talking to Frank who has a Spitfire hot on his bellybutton after lots of maneuvering when George tells Frank, "Drag the Spit over me, I'll get him off you."  How is Frank supposed to, in the heat of the moment, know exactly where George is?  In AH he does, due to the icon and the GVers want even the short ranged icon that Charlie, the guy in the Spit, gets, but not the long ranged friendly icon Frank gets, so he has no warning at all, just a face full of 20mm while Frank can unerringly lead Charlie over the Wirbelwind.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-