Author Topic: Full railroad system. Could bring possibilities?  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Re: Full railroad system. Could bring possibilities?
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 01:13:40 PM »
This is just off the top of my head, but what if killing a train depot down to a certain level (25%?) makes the convoy/train resupplies 10% slower to any strats or fields? Or even if the roads/tracks aren't implemented in the map, that time delay for resupply shipments.

10% might not seem like much, but if you need 4 to 6 convoys or trains to fully resupply something, that will add up to a noticable delay and help your country's base taking efforts down the road.

I believe 25% is too high.  20% would be a better choice, or even lower.  Mind you, this is coming from someone who LOVES to hit strategic targets.  I want my run to make an impact, but I don't want it to be too easy for me to inflict serious damage to the enemy's industry.  Don't take it to a Capital's difficulty, but definitely not have it as easy as the old strategic system was.

A Complex Version:
What if the delay is based on the condition of the rail yard?  At 90%-70%, there is a 2% delay.  At 69%-40%, 5%.  At 39%-21%, 7% delay.  At 20% or less, you have a full 10% delay.

And what and how would you precisely have these supply routes do?

Also include all rate controls.

P.S. if you can just hit a static target (i.e. bridge) what is the use of having the supply route?

HiTech

Rail Yards could cover the spawn times of a convoy.  From what I can tell, there is currently no way to delay the spawn time of convoy's.  The Convoys always spawn at the same time (they spawn more often if a base is damaged), regardless of the status of strategic target's they are tied to.  This would add another aspect to the strategic war effort.  You can inflict damage to the supplies produced and/or the time it takes for them to reach their destination.

Slightly off topic but; Any word about your idea of a Concrete Factory?  I remember you mentioning the possibility of adding a factory that affects the down times of towns.  Maybe it could also be tied into the down time of the Rail Yards?  That may make that bit complicated, (EDIT) having the factory for town times tied to the rail yards... :headscratch:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:20:25 PM by Volron »
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2011, 01:44:48 PM »
+1 - lets do SOMETHING to make this game have an actual strategic component...

Amen to that. I'd love to fight my way in to smash something vitally important other than hangars & strats on a base.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2011, 02:41:09 PM »

P.S. if you can just hit a static target (i.e. bridge) what is the use of having the supply route?

HiTech

Re the P.S.   It's fun to blow up bridges, and other targets that interrupt the enemy's operations and rebuilding process.  Even if it only lasts for an hour or two but especially if it were to stay down for three or four hours.  Players want to feel like they are making a difference / impact on winning or slowing the enemy.  Trains, convoys, bridges, depots, factories, and strats would all be fun to destroy or defend if it makes a real noticeable difference.  :aok

Once down, these targets should stay down for a while and not be fully resupplied via multiple sup runs negating the effort to take them down in the first place.  Maybe the fastest you can resup these targets should be half the down time. 

Bombers can take a long time to bomb HQ and it is pointless if five minutes later five goons can resup it back to normal.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:59:37 PM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2011, 02:48:20 PM »
Sounds fun to me.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2011, 02:58:25 PM »

HiTech
Supply routes could randomly drop supplies at spawn points. Some could just be there for ack. Some could drop sheep off at various places... :devil
Some could carry troops or engineers with field supplies to rebuild roads and bridges as well as reduce down time for hangers,town buildings, ord, troops..etc.
Also random layouts for towns and bases would be interesting.
Rate controls could be random given eny or enemy presence or strategic value of that area maybe?  :headscratch:

Random is the key.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 03:09:39 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2011, 03:07:21 PM »
How cool would it be to be sitiing in a tracked Tiger saying "oh boy here comes the supply train to bring me supplies", and it gets there and drops off some sheep or a 30mm auto ack gun instead  :lol  :bhead
Lighten up Francis

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2011, 06:31:10 PM »
I miss train hunting. It was always good fun when things got boring or just felt likedoing something different.
Bring back the trains
Theyll only give you one chance, Better get it right first time. And the game youre playing
If you lose you gotta pay, If you make just one wrong move Youll get blown away
Expect no mercy  <Nazareth>

"Stay in the manned ack... When your in a plane you are a danger to the ground"  <Norad>

Offline Gatr

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2011, 06:57:28 PM »
Trains are EVIL and must die...
EVIL!!!!!
Salute
Gatr
And death to all Train lovers... sick bastages u know who u r!!!!

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 11:34:18 AM »
Are we talking real Lionel Trains here?   :D   (not those cheap ones from China) :(

+1

:aok
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 11:52:27 AM »
Are we talking real Lionel Trains here?   :D   (not those cheap ones from China) :(

+1

:aok

European trains!  :aok

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 02:10:14 PM »
Here is my idea.  I like the idea of being able to destroy bridges but that shouldn't stop the supplies from getting through.  I think each train car or truckload should count as one supply and that each train/convoy should have five cars/trucks/barges.  Each load of supplies driven or flown in manually to a base, HQ or strat should count as five loads.  I think when a convoy reaches a destroyed bridge it should lose five cars (to repair that bridge) - basically the train or convoy reaches the bridge and the bridge comes back up (and the convoy disappears).

I think it would also be cool to have A.I. controlled goon convoys for supplies - five goons flying back to back from one base to another.  These would have no icons and each A.I. goon would count as one single supply (five for the entire group).

Each supply convoy leaves the HQ or Strat every 15 minutes.  If the HQ is destroyed then no convoy leaves it until it is resupplied manually (or after two hours).  If the strat city is damaged its convoys should have a proportionally amount of fewer cars.. in other words if it is 1%-20% destroyed then its convoys have four cars instead of five.  If it is 21%-40% destroyed then its convoys have three cars instead of five... and so on.  If it is more than 80% destroyed then no supply convoys leave until it is 'healed' above 20%.

Forget about separate supplies for troops, fuel, ord, etc as that just makes things too confusing.  Each non-hangar building that is destroyed at a base is down until it receives twenty supply loads (four convoys of five cars).  Each load of supplies is applied to all down buildings.  In other words if three barracks are destroyed and one single load of supplies gets to the base then all three get one load of supplies.  If a load of supplies is manually flown in then EVERY down building gets credited with five supplies.

This may describe my idea a little better:

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 02:52:53 PM »
bridges aside this is just a different version of the old zone system, rail depots substituting for zone factories.

why reinvent the wheel? :headscratch:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2011, 04:03:08 PM »
Some great ideas.

What about having a dam to buster for some Lancs? You could have some Vbases that are at a higher elevation, dam right above them. Lanc has option of that ordinance, have to fly perfect profile to bounce it in over the torpedo net, sink to the bottom. Of course ack to guard the dam. If you hit it the vbase is inoperable for maybe 15 minutes, no new uppers, field guns, GVs, zip. And while it is down you can waltz in with troops and capture it.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline danny37

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2011, 05:24:22 PM »
bridges aside this is just a different version of the old zone system, rail depots substituting for zone factories.

why reinvent the wheel? :headscratch:
because the game as it is now is boring and needs something to restore the fun back into it.
as it is now its pretty much just up to fight the horde,die from be ganged by no less than 1/2 of the horde..oh what fun.
not to mention HTC is gonna have some competition soon when WOP comes out as it is free.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2011, 06:02:29 PM »
I <3 this thread and the ideas.  Keep it up guys!

One thought that popped into my head looking over others great ideas here (and I don't want to butt other's shoulders or my way into the great melting pot going on here), what if the full railroad system also incorporated/raplaced the existing advanced vehicle spawn function in the game?  Kind of taking the current "static" vehicle spawn system and making it really dynamic and variable upon multiple conditions.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.