Author Topic: Dynamic GV Icons  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dynamic GV Icons
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 02:59:13 PM »
I have to point out that pilot accounts of WWII indicate that they could see vehicles moving on the coral surfaces because of the dust they threw up and while the planes were at *20-30k!*

We are at a severe disadvantage because of computer displays that are already no where near as accurate as the Mark I eyeball.

If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 09:12:21 PM »
The black squares are allowing GV'ers to see tanks through trees.

That irks me to no end.  It is quite annoying to have absolutely in no way shape or form a view on an enemy tank but yet someone he can see you through multiple trees.

It is an exploit, make no mistake.  There are many players that turn off their graphics just for that reason, I hear the conversations quite a bit during tank battles.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 04:30:52 PM »
I have to point out that pilot accounts of WWII indicate that they could see vehicles moving on the coral surfaces because of the dust they threw up and while the planes were at *20-30k!*

We are at a severe disadvantage because of computer displays that are already no where near as accurate as the Mark I eyeball.

I think you've missed my point here.  The idea is to make MOVING GV's considerably easier to spot, while parked ones in terrain qualifying as "cover" would be considerably harder to spot.
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 06:54:47 PM »
^ Wish granted, park under a grove of trees and you're quite a bit harder to spot.

GV icon ranges are also changing if you were not aware.

Also, At closer ranges the new tank models are significantly harder to spot as they blend in with the terrain much better (atleast on my pc)

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 07:50:36 PM »
That irks me to no end.  It is quite annoying to have absolutely in no way shape or form a view on an enemy tank but yet someone he can see you through multiple trees.

put your hand over your eyes. someone sitting across the room cant see you anymore!

MANY times, I can see someone's hull, but the turret is obscured behind a tree.

he cant see me, but I can certainly see him.  aint nothing but lines of sight.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 07:59:51 PM »
Same way with how they can shoot you, but you can't shoot them. You're further from the trees, and so your shells are higher in their arc when they reach the trees, but since hes closer, his rounds aren't as high as yours when they pass the same point, and therefore they can still pass under the trees.

The same basic principals let you fire over a bush to hit someone, while the bush simultaneously provides cover for you. You're further from the bush, and so can aim over the bush and have your rounds drop onto the target, while he is closer to the bush, and so can't aim low enough to target you without the bush obstucting his fire.

However, LOS has nothing to icon distance. Objects may obscure or even completly hide the icon, but its not linked to whether or not you can see the vehicle that the icon belongs to. Same thing lets very low aircraft hide their icon to a large extent. Since its underneath of them (from your point of view), if they get low enough, the icon will disapear under the ground, and be invisible. That doesn't mean the icon turns off if you go low enough, simply that it can be hidden from view.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline 1Nicolas

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 06:37:52 AM »
+1 When I try to hunt GV's with my<Pat-Pat> F6F and F4U-1D I always find the Icon at about 400 away from them. I believe we should have longer GV Icon range so I can set up a attack quicker

(My World Of Tank signature)
There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 11:09:33 AM »
I like the concept of movement/stationary vehicle and the terrain affecting icon range.  Has merit.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 11:57:41 AM »
It is all moot until the effects of the coming changes are known.  Until then, just wait.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 12:10:21 PM »
can we get a new GV icon that puts a big pink arrow pointing to the poor noob who tumbles his tank down the side of a mountain?  That way all combatants can stop and watch, thus providing a much needed comedy break from the action?