Author Topic: New Computer....please look before I buy Thanks in advance  (Read 2955 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: New Computer....please look before I buy Thanks in advance
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2011, 05:28:45 PM »
try amazon but only order from their own stock. that will save you on shipping charges and taxes.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2011, 05:55:37 PM »
Did know that, this up coming Monday?

yes sir, this coming Monday  Nov. 28th - Cyber Monday, if you decide to go this route and not the other

best of luck

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2011, 07:18:50 PM »
The cyber should start Monday if not even before. I will say that some of the stuff at newegg with sales tax may be cheaper then other retailers. As for instance the seasonic PSU. Not that another PSU would work for you on another site.

I am not going all over the WEB and search, just food for thought.

There are sites like slickdeals, pricewatch, and others which post deals and prices. Takes time and research.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2011, 08:29:04 AM »
First off Amazon has a facility in Tennessee also...sales tax is just something that you might have to deal with. Especially if you want it all to ship together. NewEgg has to charge you sales tax; its the law of the land.

Secondly...if you want to save a few bucks then take a look at a different motherboard in the same class. ASUS is good stuff but so is Gigabyte, EVGA, etc... also just because someone said to get a Z series motherboard doesn't mean go get it. They are brand new and priced like it. If you do decide that you want that then take a look at this one on NewEgg that is there today for $179....it is an ASUS as well http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792

You can get a EVGA GTX 460 for $169 off NewEgg that will run everything out there and save you some cash; plus you can use it as a PhysX GPU at a later date if you choose to upgrade your video card. Not that AH will support the PhysX anytime soon since that is a complete re-write of the code.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2011, 06:54:29 PM »
List below what I bought.  I spent more then I wanted too about 1600 but that was including about 150 in tax.  I appreciate all the responses and help I hope I got the right stuff.  Crossing my fingers everything fits together  :lol take another look for me if you don't care.  Thanks to TC and TilDeath who pmed me some info.   :salute

Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1

wireless kb and mouse

NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

OCZ ZS Series 750W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with Transfer Kit

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2011, 08:45:38 PM »
log in and buy win7 64 today at new egg.  it's only 80 bucks plus free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

semp

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 03:36:19 AM »
log in and buy win7 64 today at new egg.  it's only 80 bucks plus free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

semp

I thought about that semp (Home Premimum Edition) but almost everyone is buying the Professional Edition.  Figured while I'm buying might as well get the best
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 05:19:42 AM »
How do you describe "the best"? The Ultimate edition has even more features than Pro. Look at this Microsoft comparison table. The question is, do you need to run XP business programs in XP mode or connect extra securely to a business network or do backups to a network instead? If you answered yes to any of these, buy pro.

The main difference between home and pro versions has always been managing computers via network. If you don't use more than one computer, or if you aren't going to manage one computer with another (meaning remotely installing programs and such), pro is just a waste of money. Sharing files can be done with any Windows version.

AH may actually run better on Home, since it doesn't run all the administrative stuff in the background. And if you plan to disable them anyway for extra performance, why pay for them?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 05:48:03 AM »
How do you describe "the best"? The Ultimate edition has even more features than Pro. Look at this Microsoft comparison table. The question is, do you need to run XP business programs in XP mode or connect extra securely to a business network or do backups to a network instead? If you answered yes to any of these, buy pro.

The main difference between home and pro versions has always been managing computers via network. If you don't use more than one computer, or if you aren't going to manage one computer with another (meaning remotely installing programs and such), pro is just a waste of money. Sharing files can be done with any Windows version.

AH may actually run better on Home, since it doesn't run all the administrative stuff in the background. And if you plan to disable them anyway for extra performance, why pay for them?

good point, best is the wrong word "most common purchase" more people bought professional didn't really look at the comparison, I'll call newegg today and see if I can get that swapped.
~XO Top Gun~ Retired

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 08:00:22 AM »
List below what I bought.  I spent more then I wanted too about 1600 but that was including about 150 in tax.  I appreciate all the responses and help I hope I got the right stuff.  Crossing my fingers everything fits together  :lol take another look for me if you don't care.  Thanks to TC and TilDeath who pmed me some info.   :salute

Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1

wireless kb and mouse

NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

OCZ ZS Series 750W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with Transfer Kit

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM

Nice rig   :aok
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2011, 12:56:49 PM »
I thought about that semp (Home Premimum Edition) but almost everyone is buying the Professional Edition.  Figured while I'm buying might as well get the best

I have Win7 Ultimate... so that isnt the best??? LOL

BTW nice looking rig there.

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
I have Win7 Ultimate... so that isnt the best??? LOL

BTW nice looking rig there.

LawnDart

Best wasnt the right word, Im learning I fluked up on that one.......Thanks
~XO Top Gun~ Retired

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2011, 07:29:53 PM »
Best wasnt the right word, Im learning I fluked up on that one.......Thanks

naw you just learned something right there :).

semp

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2011, 03:11:04 AM »
Awesome looking setup you got ordered, TnDep

be sure to go  download the most recent firmware for your Crucial M4 128GB SSD  ( Rev 9   I think it is )....... it will really boost the performance even better than what they originally claim

I have 4 of those my self,  and love em   ( 1 PC  has 2 in RAID 0  mode,  and then 1 each in 2 other PCs )

you should update the firmware before you load anything at all...... burn the firmware to a cd  and it will boot and update automatically

* BUT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS WORD FOR WORD *   be sure you have your  IDE/ SATA  settings adjusted just like it tells you to do, after update you can set them however you desire then load your OS

hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2011, 05:54:19 AM »

Learn something every day. Great post!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter