Author Topic: 190 pilots before/after the 190 update  (Read 3497 times)

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
Re: 190 pilots before/after the 190 update
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2011, 03:26:27 PM »
Sure, it is a pig. . .all 190s are.

But a diet of 450kgs will make it a LOT better then it is now.  As it is now, you are right, the A5 is better for dog-fighting, but there is nothing that says the A8 could not be, especially with 4x20s and the better 12mm MGs, the snapshot killing potential is great - but as it stands now, it is simply too heavy. 

The issue I believe is that it was not that heavy during the war.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2011, 03:32:47 PM »
I have dogfought many a plane in the 190a8, in heavy and in light configurations. While it is less than desirable, it is still a handy plane. I've fought Yak9s to a stand-still. I've mixed it up with superior planes and used my strengths to out-fight them (i.e. roll rate, decelleration for overshoots, snapshots, etc) and all in a late war arena environment. Sure, I've died a lot, but my point is that it's not nearly so bad as a few (a few that don't even seem to fly it much) would claim.

Yes, it could stand to be 4400kg when loaded with 4x20mm, and it currently has a number of weight issues with the guns packages and the empty weight. It would definitely help to have that corrected.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
I've fought Yak9s to a stand-still. I've mixed it up with superior planes and used my strengths to out-fight them (i.e. roll rate, decelleration for overshoots, snapshots, etc) and all in a late war arena environment.

You were a better pilot in those instances.  The A8 is one of AH's true pigs.  I've been trying for years...now that I think on it, for a decade...to get that plane to fly well in a 1 v 1 against virtually any other 1944 plane (or even the earlier planes).  Totally without success.  It can't all be me.

- oldman (well, I suppose it can, but I don't think it is)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2011, 07:34:42 PM »
I don't think that the 190A's are good in 1-vs.-1 MA-style play; but they can be great in many-vs.-many, especially in scenario-style play at about 25k on down.  (Also, they are excellent vs. bombers.)

The thing that makes them good in that environment is the combination of roll rate, speed, handling at speed, acceleration with WEP, firepower, sturdiness, and ammo load.  But of course it can depend on opponents and type of fighting, too.

In Enemy Coast Ahead, the scenario that just finished up, the 190A-5's did fine.  Now, if it is against P-51's at 34k, it is problematic; but Enemy Coast Ahead was a 1943-style Channel Front battle, from 24k on down against Spitfires and Typhoons.  There, the 190A-5 was quite good in the time period it actually flew and against some of its historical adversaries.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2011, 07:38:36 PM »
Would have to agree completly with brooke. The 190 is a world-beater many vs many, but just is a little wanting for 1v1's with a better turning opponent.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2011, 10:59:58 PM »
As Brooke points out against its enemy it was designed to fight its excellent, in the MA its not so good. Personally the radial 190s in game I dislike, poor top end and acceleration, handling is twitchy at best especially the nose for aiming at lower speeds. Any sort of maneuvering the A5 pays a heavy price in energy and isn't able to regain it quickly enough.

A typical fight in a Dora the effective vertical spirals and high speed overshoots don't work in an A5, you find yourself slightly short and unable to put the enemy under any serious pressure unless hes a complete idiot. As you drop down you then have to start turning and popping flaps for angles, you lose your E and are in a plane that cannot do a runner or extend to reset against your typical MA ride. The more you turn the more you seal your own fate.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2011, 11:05:42 PM »
dude, the Dora handles worse in all respects if I remember. Only advantage you get is the increased engine power and associated benefits.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2011, 11:13:19 PM »
dude, the Dora handles worse in all respects if I remember. Only advantage you get is the increased engine power and associated benefits.

There was no need to go into so much detail with your post, a simple the A5 is better would have done.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2011, 11:24:42 PM »
Lol, its not better though, thats just it. Personally, I never really liked the Dora because that long-arse nose made it difficult to aim if my target is going to present a crossing shot comming up from below. But its improved speed and acceleration are a god-send when fighting some of the uber LW monsters. 

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2011, 11:33:09 PM »
Personally, I never really liked the Dora because that long-arse nose made it difficult to aim if my target is going to present a crossing shot comming up from below.

I find in most planes the cockpit tends to hinder my view with that type of shot, I could roll over and look but I cannot be bothered. Anyone know how to make the cockpit transparent like a glass cockpit  :headscratch:

But its improved speed and acceleration are a god-send when fighting some of the uber LW monsters. 

You don't say  :old:

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2011, 02:32:51 AM »
I've heard theres actually a way to make the cocpit invisible (the background stuff, not the guages you actually use I mean), and I saw a screenshot of what looked like the mythical 'glass cocpit' but I couldn't tell if it was actually an invisible cocpit or just the graphics freaking out for a second.

And anyway, planes like the P-38, 110, and mossie (if you adjust the head possition) don't have that problem, and its not as bad with planes like the P-47 and P-51, which is all I was saying.

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2011, 07:10:04 PM »
The A8 handles just fine.  Get the speed up to about 350...can get about 2-3 turning maneuvers out of it before you are meat for anybody that is half way decent.  Get your shot in  those 2-3 maneuvers and you will do just fine.  that is the good thing about the plane, it only takes a quick snapshot with the gun package on it.
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2011, 07:33:38 PM »
I've heard theres actually a way to make the cocpit invisible (the background stuff, not the guages you actually use I mean), and I saw a screenshot of what looked like the mythical 'glass cocpit' but I couldn't tell if it was actually an invisible cocpit or just the graphics freaking out for a second.

And anyway, planes like the P-38, 110, and mossie (if you adjust the head possition) don't have that problem, and its not as bad with planes like the P-47 and P-51, which is all I was saying.

I'm quite sure that a "glass cockpit" would be cheating.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2011, 09:23:47 PM »
I'm quite sure that a "glass cockpit" would be cheating.

Except when Wonder Woman's plane is added to the game.  I hear that's the next plane to be added.  ;)

Offline Zeagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2011, 09:20:28 AM »
Wow. I am so glad I came to this thread and found how much of a pig the 190 is. What if someone actually started a 190 squad....how messed up would that be?  :bolt:
-Zeagle-
"Black 1"

FW-ISS Bremen