Author Topic: Ferdinand  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
Re: Ferdinand
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 01:50:25 PM »
Doesnt the king tiger weigh much much more than a t34? How does ramming something like a king tiger in a little t34 work?
What? Ramming gvs? Suicide mission.
Well, i hve no information, but the t34 must be around 25-30 tons. The tiger2's armor is about 100mm, imagine a 30 tons gv at 30mph impacting to a 100mm plate... thats a death for everyone. Especially scary since the t34's driver sits in the nose... no chance to survive.
AoM
City of ice

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 01:52:55 PM »
What? Ramming gvs? Suicide mission.
Well, i hve no information, but the t34 must be around 25-30 tons. The tiger2's armor is about 100mm, imagine a 30 tons gv at 30mph impacting to a 100mm plate... thats a death for everyone. Especially scary since the t34's driver sits in the nose... no chance to survive.

of course the russians were known for not sending people to get killed for no reason.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 02:04:07 PM »
Doesnt the king tiger weigh much much more than a t34? How does ramming something like a king tiger in a little t34 work?

Ram a compact car into a Semi Truck head on and the car will disable the truck.  Same theory, the smaller lighter T34 would (could) do damages to the KT
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:17:47 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 02:25:50 PM »
EDIT: I think there are other turret-less tanks that would be a better choice to add.  If you want the effects of a Ferdi or Ele, then just take a King Tiger or Tiger and not use the turret.  Same thing.   :D

I'm not so sure the score is about "competing with the King Tiger", but instead filling out the historically important and MA able line up.  Also, 2 comments regarding your "vs King Tiger" comment: A: the US never did have anything to compete vs the King Tiger, even the Pershing couldn't come close.  Which as a matter of fact, the US 90mm was STILL inferior to the British 17 Pdr and Panther's 75mm.  The Pershing offered 102mm of armor up front which could still be defeated *easily* by the King Tiger at 2000 yards.  B: The T34/85 was a step behind the M4/76mm in ability to "combat" the King Tiger gun to gun.  The 2 things the Soviets had going for them on the Ost Front was first and foremost was the sheer numbers of tanks.  The speed of the T34 offered it a chance to run the gauntlet and get a flanking shot on the side or rear armor, but it still had to be too close for comfort.  Point being, the Soviets have nothing to compete with the King Tiger in AH.

The 2 best tanks in AH to go head to head with a King Tiger are the Firefly and Panther, preferably the Panther because at least there is a chance to deflect off a shot or 2 before the kill shot comes crashing in.        

Akak posted an interesting story about a duel between a KT and an M-26.  I had it bookmarked somewhere
but having trouble locating it.  End story, Americans went home.

Aha!  Found it...thanks Akie  :aok
http://www.3ad.com/history/news/super.pershing.1.htm
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:29:11 PM by Rino »
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 02:25:55 PM »
Doubt that. The americans dont have a hard-hitting tank to compete with the King tiger yet. The brits tech have the firefly. The russians have the t34/85. The americans havent receives the Pershing yet.

Why do the Americans need a tank to compete with the Tiger? or for the British rather? Historically speaking if the British want a tank to compete with the Tiger they would get the Archer Tank Destroyer, and the Americans would get the M36 Jackson.

Honestly everyone keeps choosing the "late war" tanks when its a huge leap from EW/MW, if we had a MidWar FSO would the Tiger be involved? Yes. Is there any tank available during the Midwar to combat the Tiger? Nope.

What people are failing to realize is, the M26 was unable to penetrate the King Tiger, only the Super Pershing which was a Prototype aimed to add the 90mm Gun in hopes it would be able to match a Tiger. Field modifications were also done by cutting off the front armor plate from a Panther to add to the armor of a Pershing because the KwK43 was just to deadly.

To be honest the Pershing would barely be a match for the Tiger tank, let alone King Tiger.

Its been stated over and over, the Tiger II's front armor was invulnerable to any Allied Tank or Anti Tank gun. The Idea was it was designed to be softer then the Tiger I's armor, which cause it not to become brittle or break after being hit by multiple rounds. In reality after inspecting the German tanks neither Americans/Russians took them seriously after they found they were horribly welded/built. Also the so few numbers built - nobody took an interest in combating the King Tiger.

In retrospect, I don't think anything will be added to Aces High to combat the King tiger, want to destroy one? Grab a bomb or learn to flank him.
JG 52

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 02:28:12 PM »
    Akak posted an interesting story about a duel between a KT and an M-26.  I had it bookmarked somewhere
but having trouble locating it.  End story, Americans went home.

Not sure about the King Tiger vs M-26, but I do know an M-26 faced a Tiger I and lost, however you can consider this a draw since the Tiger I became immobile in colapsed building and the crew bailed out, the first shot took out the gunner and loader, not sure what the range is I would probably say under 1,000 yards.
JG 52

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 02:42:22 PM »
Why do the Americans need a tank to compete with the Tiger? or for the British rather? Historically speaking if the British want a tank to compete with the Tiger they would get the Archer Tank Destroyer, and the Americans would get the M36 Jackson.

Honestly everyone keeps choosing the "late war" tanks when its a huge leap from EW/MW, if we had a MidWar FSO would the Tiger be involved? Yes. Is there any tank available during the Midwar to combat the Tiger? Nope.

What people are failing to realize is, the M26 was unable to penetrate the King Tiger, only the Super Pershing which was a Prototype aimed to add the 90mm Gun in hopes it would be able to match a Tiger. Field modifications were also done by cutting off the front armor plate from a Panther to add to the armor of a Pershing because the KwK43 was just to deadly.
Because, in Late war, the king tiger has set the bar for each country to meet. the German fans got their heavy tank. The russians have theirs. The brits tech have the firefly. Why not give the Americans their m26?  to even out the field a bit.

I largely agree EW should be filled out before LW is every touched again, but im just saying this for WHEN LW is touched again.

And theres reports of Pershings nocking out KT's from 1000yrds.  granted, it took one pershing 4 shots to finally nock it out. (First shot was an HVAP, 2 Were AP, then the last was an HE to set it ablaze)

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 03:21:10 PM »
Tyrannis
fail, again and again.
-Russians have the t34 as a super heavy tank to match the tiger... what? The t34/85 has kickbutt firepower under 1000 yards but even a panzer4 has a more competitive AP round than it. Also thats a real poor tiger driver letting a t34 coming closer than 1000 yards... Ever heard about the IS series? IS-2? Now, that would be an interesting match against the tiger. Also, IS-3 vs Tiger2, even tho the IS-3 was almost post-war.
-Firefly. A decent one indeed, but nothing special. Weak armore, if anyone comes closer than 2k yards, youre about to die, slow, you cant play the "shoot n scoot" game, whats so much fun and effective with the panther. Really, not AS much better than the 76mm sherman.
-Germany. They used many heavy tanks on the frontline, tigers were in service in '42, panthers at Kursk, Tiger2s in '44 summer. Many of them were built and seen action. America needs the 1945 Pershing to compete with the 1942 tiger1? haha! How many pershings seen action? 20?

With the same philosophy, the US side should request for the p80, hell, the germans have their jet too..

Btw i killed a tiger2 in a panzer4f once. Shot his side from 800 yards. Also my tiger2 got killed by a sneeky m18. Those nasty little things are dangerous! Everythings possible.

I agree with Butcher and Jager on this, early-mid war tanks would be great to have. Panzer3 with the 57mm gun, IS-1/2, Hetzer, Stug3, im sure there are a couple american mid-war tanks too to add. They played major roles in the war, i bet many of them would be awsome little perk farmers.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 03:25:25 PM by Debrody »
AoM
City of ice

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 03:28:38 PM »
Tyrannis
fail, again and again.
-Russians have the t34 as a super heavy tank to match the tiger... what? The t34/85 has kickbutt firepower under 1000 yards but even a panzer4 has a more competitive AP round than it. Also thats a real poor tiger driver letting a t34 coming closer than 1000 yards... Ever heard about the IS series? IS-2? Now, that would be an interesting match against the tiger. Also, IS-3 vs Tiger2, even tho the IS-3 was almost post-war.
-Firefly. A decent one indeed, but nothing special. Weak armore, if anyone comes closer than 2k yards, youre about to die, slow, you cant play the "shoot n scoot" game, whats so much fun and effective with the panther. Really, not AS much better than the 76mm sherman.
-Germany. They used many heavy tanks on the frontline, tigers were in service in '42, panthers at Kursk, Tiger2s in '44 summer. Many of them were built and seen action. America needs the 1945 Pershing to compete with the 1942 tiger1? haha! How many pershings seen action? 20?

With the same philosophy, the US side should request for the p80, hell, the germans have their jet too..

Btw i killed a tiger2 in a panzer4f once. Shot his side from 800 yards. Also my tiger2 got killed by a sneeky m18. Those nasty little things are dangerous! Everythings possible.

I agree with Butcher and Jager on this, early-mid war tanks would be great to have. Panzer3 with the 57mm gun, IS-1/2, Hetzer, Stug3, im sure there are a couple american mid-war tanks too to add. They played major roles in the war, i bet many of them would be awsome little perk farmers.
Missed one of the biggest points i was trying to make.

The germans, and russians have a Heavy tank. America does not. America should at least gets its own Heavy tank, since both russia and germany does now.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 03:32:44 PM »

The germans, and russians have a Heavy tank. America does not. America should at least gets its own Heavy tank, since both russia and germany does now.
And you missed my points.
Russia's heavy tank isnt in the game.
America's heavy tank seen very, i mean very limited combat. Still, wouldnt be much better than the panther.

Edit: yea, the t34/85 is super ultra heavy compared to a panzer1. But it doesnt matter how many times i tell you something, you will be back with the same sillyness again and again.
The m26 seen very limited combat. Goodmorning.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 03:46:27 PM by Debrody »
AoM
City of ice

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 03:33:47 PM »
And you missed my points.
Russia's heavy tank isnt in the game.
America's heavy tank seen very, i mean very limited combat. Still, wouldnt be much better than the panther.
isent the t34/85 considered "heavy"?
and since when does something not in-game, have to be better than something already in-game, to qualify it to be added?  :headscratch:

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 05:02:04 PM »
Mass x Acceleration = Force  ;)
Most skill based sport? -
The sport of understanding women.

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 05:05:11 PM »
isent the t34/85 considered "heavy"?
and since when does something not in-game, have to be better than something already in-game, to qualify it to be added?  :headscratch:
the russians dont have ANY heavy tanks in game right now.

T34-85 heavy? thats what we call a medium tank.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 05:39:36 PM »

Since the Meteor went into voting, I suspect HTC is slacking on the rules that a vehicle needs to be in combat before it gets added to the game.

With this its highly possible down the road, the M-26 will be added, although it will be quite some time in my opinion.

JG 52

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2011, 05:43:12 PM »
Since the Meteor went into voting, I suspect HTC is slacking on the rules that a vehicle needs to be in combat before it gets added to the game.

With this its highly possible down the road, the M-26 will be added, although it will be quite some time in my opinion.

20 pershings saw combat. One was even nocked out by a KT.
So, whats your point?