Author Topic: P-26 Peashooter  (Read 1713 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Re: P-26 Peashooter
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 09:27:12 PM »
Did this cute toy ever see combat? I'm guessing no. FAIL!

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 11:38:58 PM »
Did this cute toy ever see combat? I'm guessing no. FAIL!

Boo

Guessed wrong.  The Peashooter saw extensive combat, however, the majority of combat took place in China during the Second Sino-Japanese War in the 1930s. It also saw extremely limited combat when the Japanese invaded the Philippines in 1941, mostly with the Philippine Army Air Corps with only 1 confirmed kill to its World War II record.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:07:43 AM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 1Nicolas

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2011, 02:22:07 PM »
Keyword: PEAshooter Pea means it has pea(horrible)armament

(My World Of Tank signature)
There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet.

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 03:50:51 PM »
Keyword: PEAshooter Pea means it has pea(horrible)armament

words dont describe the silliness in your logic....
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline DemonFox

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 06:56:31 AM »
I'm a fan of over looked planes of the war but this plane web for me is a bit much!
-1 for fact it could lose a fight to the B5N

And Machfly why do you have the Da42 on you quote?

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 08:10:56 AM »
The P-47 is mostly unarmored. 

Are you joking? The P-47 was one of the most if not the most rugged fighter in the conflict.

"The pilot is protected from enemy gun fire by face hardened 3/8" armor plate located in the forward and aft ends of the cockpit. The area above the front armor plate is protected by 1½" bullet resistant glass."

in addition:

"Normal fuel load is carried in two self-sealing fuel tanks fitted with baffles to minimize surge; a main tank is installed between the wing hinge supporting bulkheads and an auxiliary tank is installed directly aft of the rear wing hinge supporting bulkhead."

The main tank being protected by the massive R-2800 radial... Your uninformed contrary answer for everything is getting really tiresome.

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 08:59:04 AM »
Event though it's an American plane and should be added for no other reason than that...lol

Ok...I'll stop.

But the 500+ mph multi cannon BnZ the ponies the best crowd isn't going to like it and will quickly deem it a hanger queen...just because of its armament.

If you can't overhaul a 262 in it or take out a whole formation of B-29's in one pass with it, then it deserves no place in our game.

LoL +1 for the P-26!!

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2011, 10:09:31 AM »
Are you joking? The P-47 was one of the most if not the most rugged fighter in the conflict.

"The pilot is protected from enemy gun fire by face hardened 3/8" armor plate located in the forward and aft ends of the cockpit. The area above the front armor plate is protected by 1½" bullet resistant glass."

(Image removed from quote.)

in addition:

"Normal fuel load is carried in two self-sealing fuel tanks fitted with baffles to minimize surge; a main tank is installed between the wing hinge supporting bulkheads and an auxiliary tank is installed directly aft of the rear wing hinge supporting bulkhead."

The main tank being protected by the massive R-2800 radial... Your uninformed contrary answer for everything is getting really tiresome.
No, I am not joking.  Most of a P-47 is unarmored.  Seriously.  I did not pick the P-47 at random to make my point either.  People think of the P-47 as a big, tough, armored fighter, so I picked it to make a point.  The armor it has covers a few vital points leaving the vast majority of the aircraft completely unprotected, hence the P-47 is mostly unarmored.  Even the Il-2 is mostly unarmored.

The entire tail, aft fuselage, wings and engine on the P-47 is unarmored.  It obtains its durability in those areas through structural strength, mass of aluminum and a very tough engine, not armor.  Hence my point that the D3A would likely be much tougher than the Fi156, as it likewise has more mass of aluminum than the Fi156.  The lack of armor for the cockpit and fuel system on the D3A does not magically make the rest of it weak.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-