Author Topic: Does this mean we get the Piper Cub too?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Does this mean we get the Piper Cub too?
« on: December 07, 2011, 07:03:22 PM »
It was 1 kill and no loss to the Storch.  April 12, 1945.  As long as the pilot can use his 45 of course like he did for real to shoot it down :)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Does this mean we get the Piper Cub too?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 07:18:46 PM »
That little dogfight kind of reminds me of the patrol/scout plane battles in the Pacific between US patrol planes and Japanese patrol planes, like the story I posted about a year ago.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 08:10:45 PM »
With luck and time.....hopefully we get those to Ack-Ack  :aok

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 08:19:19 PM »
 I cant believe Dan of all people is the first to wish for an uber armed scout plane! :devil

:salute

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 08:41:17 PM »
Well I was thinking more about this story.

The L4 / Me 109 Incident

Notes of Major James R. Stegall - Retired United States Army, Italy - Early Morning - December l943

The 36th Division was making the initial assault on Mt.Maggiore. I was flying an observation plane, an L4, along with an observer and directing artillery fire on German positions. There were plenty of targets to fire upon as the assault by the 36th caused a lot of activity on the German side. Their artillery was firing at our troops which allowed us to fire on their positions. We were so engrossed in our adjusting and firing that we were lax on watching for enemy aircraft. Suddenly, something slammed into the side of the plane. I looked to the left and saw white tracers flying by close to the plane and red tracers out toward the end of the wing. I immediately put the plane into a steep dive, diving as hard as I could toward the top of the mountain range to get close to the ground where I could use evasive maneuvers to keep from being hit again. The ME-l09 circled east and out into the valley, I circled inside of his turn. I saw him turn back toward me and I thought I was a dead duck! He circled back but did not fire at me. Instead, he slowed his aircraft and flew up right beside me. Here was this ME-l09 with the Iron Cross on the side and Swastika on the tail almost flying formation with me. We looked at each other. I didn't signal or wave and neither did he. Frankly, I was too scared to wave. He then flew on off to the north. I flew south skimming the top of Mt. Lungo and back to our landing strip. The engine and aircraft were shaking, not from fright, but because some of the fragments had hit the propeller. After we landed, we found that a 20 millimeter projectile had blown away three quarters or more of the left wing strut yet it held together as we dived hard and were able to continue flying. Fifty caliber bullets had hit toward the end of the wing. The propeller was riddled as was the left wing and had to be replaced. The main lift strut had to be replaced so we cut out the part hit by the twenty millimeter shell. I still have it in my possession.

HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 11:27:09 PM »
When did the L-13 Birdawg go into service?

I had the pleasure of flying one a few weeks ago. It had been modified powerplant wise but a blast none the less.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 12:03:24 AM »
Wow, hadn't heard that story... Wowzer. Thanks for posting, Dan.

:aok

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 10:33:21 AM »
Wish it was known what made the German Pilot cease the attack.
Wonder if he realized it was an OV plane unarmed, and decided
that was not an "Honorable" kill.
No mention of any allied fighters close.                                                           

:cheers: Oz

Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 11:54:46 AM »
Good story.

Could be his mission was to get rid of the plane, which he did.  Dunno.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 12:04:09 PM »
Wish it was known what made the German Pilot cease the attack.
Wonder if he realized it was an OV plane unarmed, and decided
that was not an "Honorable" kill.
No mention of any allied fighters close.                                                           

:cheers: Oz

I believe in that game you only got one life and for some people living is important.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 12:08:09 PM »
I believe in that game you only got one life and for some people living is important.

wrongway

In this game people auger trying to break the sound barrier to kill a goon.
JG 52

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »
When did the L-13 Birdawg go into service?

I had the pleasure of flying one a few weeks ago. It had been modified powerplant wise but a blast none the less.

a guess would b 1949 or 50, US Army used them a lot.  Modified Cessna 170  it was the L19 was selected instead of the Consolidated Vulter L13.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:23:00 PM by Traveler »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 01:56:16 PM »
Just to be clear the L-13 and L-19 are two different planes.

The Stinson Division of Consolidated Aircraft (Later Convair) built the prototype L-13s in Wayne Mi (Production was in San Diego) and it first flew in 1945.

The Cessna L-19 First flew in December of 1949.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 01:58:22 PM »
Just to be clear the L-13 and L-19 are two different planes.

The Stinson Division of Consolidated Aircraft (Later Convair) built the prototype L-13s in Wayne Mi (Production was in San Diego) and it first flew in 1945.

The Cessna L-19 First flew in December of 1949.

Oops my bad for some reason I was thinking L-13 but meant L-19 :headscratch: thanks for correcting me!

Thanks Traveler for catching that to. :)

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 02:37:18 PM »
Does this mean we get the Piper Cub too?

Why should we? Because we don't have enough American units in the game already?

I don't see a Schnellboot, Ju-52 or Kubelwagen in the game either, nor does the game need them right now. :)

But I can understand how horrible the prospect of getting a new German aircraft in the game can be from a viewpoint of a history enthusiast of western allies' air force units. I mean, after all, the dust has hardly settled from the latest introduction of a totally new Luftwaffe aircraft in late 2002. ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:43:52 PM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!