Author Topic: Air France 447 "What really happened"  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
Re: Air France 447 "What really happened"
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 09:04:18 PM »
So they didn't realize they were descending? Did Airbus forget to equip the plane with a VSI and an Altimeter?  :huh

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 09:18:31 PM »
So they didn't realize they were descending? Did Airbus forget to equip the plane with a VSI and an Altimeter?  :huh

I don't think they were believing their instruments.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 09:26:25 PM »
I'm with Krup.

it is descending at a rate of 10,000 feet per minute, at an angle of 41.5 degrees.

They didn't know they were descending? Even if they level it out, they might be alive right now.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 09:35:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure the attitude indicator wouldnt show anything at 40 degrees (most in small airplanes have marks up to 20 degrees, I know nothing of big planes though so maybe Golfer could confirm.), a VSI would be pegged going down, and they didnt have any reference to the horizon. (They were in the clouds) It's quite easy to become disoriented in the clouds, it happened to me pretty bad my first couple of times in IMC. I felt like I was in a 45 degree turn to the left but in reality I was straight and level.

http://www.europeanpilotacademy.com/portals/43/TheLeans.pdf
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 09:37:11 PM by Tupac »

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 09:40:37 PM »
I think if my ASI was showing essentially 0, my stall warning wasnt going off, and my VSI was pegged (but the plane seemed relatively controllable) I would assume I was stable. Flying into a thunderstorm could (in theory) wreak havoc with your instruments, going from a standard pressure of 29.92 (used for operations above 18k) into what could possibly have been 27.XX pressures. That would indicate a rapid descent and indicate a much lower altitude.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 09:43:31 PM »
well, 2k feet lower wouldnt a a huge deal if your at 37k, but it would definitely wooly with you VSI.

Offline Tordon22

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 09:53:28 PM »
Pitch and power, control and performance. :(

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 09:57:35 PM »
My friend and I were having a discussion on why we still need pilots. He said our computers are far and away good enough to take care of anything on their own...

I'll be showing him this link.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 10:27:03 PM »

The VSI was working perfectly, it was pegged at it max, and the guy assumed it had failed.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 10:31:49 PM »
The VSI was working perfectly, it was pegged at it max, and the guy assumed it had failed.

What about the altimeter, did he assume that failed too?  :headscratch:

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 10:38:56 PM »
What about the altimeter, did he assume that failed too?  :headscratch:

If you assumed your VSI and ASI were screwed, it would be safe to assume that you think your entire pitot-static system is wonky. I bet he didnt trust his altimeter, either.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 10:43:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure the attitude indicator wouldnt show anything at 40 degrees (most in small airplanes have marks up to 20 degrees, I know nothing of big planes though so maybe Golfer could confirm.), a VSI would be pegged going down, and they didnt have any reference to the horizon. (They were in the clouds) It's quite easy to become disoriented in the clouds, it happened to me pretty bad my first couple of times in IMC. I felt like I was in a 45 degree turn to the left but in reality I was straight and level.

They were descending at a 41 degree glide path, not pitch angle.  The nose was pitched up throughout.  It seemed they certainly were aware they were descending, they just couldn't figure out the why/how to fix part.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 10:44:40 PM »
They were descending at a 41 degree glide path, not pitch angle.  The nose was pitched up throughout.  It seemed they certainly were aware they were descending, they just couldn't figure out the why/how to fix part.

Oh ok.

Offline PuppetZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 10:45:29 PM »
The plane was falling. He did the only thing his panicking human brain told him to do. Pull the damn stick. It's night, you're bored and something like that happen. They both went brain dead. Cost many lives. I never flew on a night flight. I'll try to stay the hell away from them...scary thing. If he had seen outside he may have realized what was going on before it was too late. Edit : or maybe not. Who knows......
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:47:21 PM by PuppetZ »
LCDR. Frank 'PuppetZ' Perreault, Squadron intelligence officer

VF-17 Jolly Rogers
'Kids, you tried and failed miserably. The lesson is : never try'