Author Topic: Icon Ranges  (Read 2791 times)

Offline ap1102

• Copper Member
Icon Ranges
« on: December 09, 2011, 05:36:00 AM »
Introducing the Fi 156 Storch for the next version update.  The Storch represents a new class of aircraft in the game - the observer plane, a.k.a liaison or spotter aircraft.  Well regarded for its amazing STOL (Short Takeoff and Landing) capability and great all around visibility, it was a real workhorse but was most famous for its use in the raid at Gran Sasso that rescued Mussolini.

In game it will be available from vehicle bases and ports in addition to airfields.  The next version will have a reduction in vehicle icon ranges from aircraft but the Storch will benefit from a longer vehicle icon range capability making it valuable for battlefield recon and support.  It will also be able to deploy smoke grenades as markers and can land but not drop vehicle supplies.  On top of that it's also just a lot of fun to fly.

Cactuskooler did a nice job on this skin with a paint scheme from Aufkl. Gr. 32.  It carries a stork emblem on the cowling.  It was nicknamed the Storch, German for stork, because of the long gangly landing gear that resembled a stork's legs.

Isnt that great. Another benefit to the gvers who cry bomb****. I wonder how much reduction? Only visible from .5k or less. Well there goes your attack scores..

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Icon Ranges
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 05:41:12 AM »
Well there goes your attack scores..

How that?

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 06:21:29 AM »

With proper video settings, you can see a GV very far away from the air. About the only thing that will have any impact is not knowing what type of GV untill your very close.

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 07:33:18 AM »
With proper video settings, you can see a GV very far away from the air. About the only thing that will have any impact is not knowing what type of GV untill your very close.

this. if i can actually tell an A/C profile from more than 6K away and see a vehicle on the ground from 3-5K away im not gonna have a problem killing GVs still
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 07:36:28 AM »

Isnt that great. Another benefit to the gvers who cry bomb****. I wonder how much reduction? Only visible from .5k or less. Well there goes your attack scores..

Not sure if you are clueless or just whining - can you ask a question?
JG 52

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 07:41:38 AM »
Introducing the Fi 156 Storch for the next version update.  The Storch represents a new class of aircraft in the game - the observer plane, a.k.a liaison or spotter aircraft.  Well regarded for its amazing STOL (Short Takeoff and Landing) capability and great all around visibility, it was a real workhorse but was most famous for its use in the raid at Gran Sasso that rescued Mussolini.

In game it will be available from vehicle bases and ports in addition to airfields.  The next version will have a reduction in vehicle icon ranges from aircraft but the Storch will benefit from a longer vehicle icon range capability making it valuable for battlefield recon and support.  It will also be able to deploy smoke grenades as markers and can land but not drop vehicle supplies.  On top of that it's also just a lot of fun to fly.

Cactuskooler did a nice job on this skin with a paint scheme from Aufkl. Gr. 32.  It carries a stork emblem on the cowling.  It was nicknamed the Storch, German for stork, because of the long gangly landing gear that resembled a stork's legs.

slightly related, a few years ago, i was down at fantasy of flight. i was just wandering around drooling over the aircraft, when a worker came and pulled their storch outta the hangar. kept wandering, and as i came back that way, a kind of hurried guy with a ponytail came out to the plane, and started doing a preflight. i stood there watching, and he started talking to me for a few moments, took time to stop, and let mom snap a picture, and shook my hand. it was kermit weeks. definite cool guy.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 07:42:20 AM »
this. if i can actually tell an A/C profile from more than 6K away and see a vehicle on the ground from 3-5K away im not gonna have a problem killing GVs still

My video card on my laptop is the worlds biggest piece of garbage, I unfortunately have to have my graphics turned off otherwise I risk overheating and crashing the video card. Much as I would love to crank up the high res details, I simply cannot.

Thus being said, It gives me no advantage other then fact I couldn't tell 3k away if its a ground vehicle or shrubbery, however moving vehicles
do come as a "grey block" which actually not to hard to spot (the dust kicking up causes the vehicle icon at 3-5k become a solid grey block).

Other then that I truly wish I could have my graphics set for high res.
JG 52

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 07:42:34 AM »

same with air cons. they become visible long before icons do.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 07:43:37 AM »

I am running 1024 textures with the proper resolution that my monitor calls for and I cannot tell a difference in planes from 6k and from 3-5k distinguishing a gv from a tree is insanely difficult unless the vehicle is moving or firing. So which setting am I missing then.

Not that I care about attack scores but this statement always irritates me.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 07:51:15 AM »
I bet your from the "bomb**** type... Who ups a stuka and flyes 2 sectors only to drop someone...
 :rofl
ooopps, duder, no more defenseless kills for you  :ahand
AoM
City of ice

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 07:59:54 AM »
Funny how "almost nobody plays for score" and the first thing you read when a new change comes out is "there goes that score", and "how are they going to score that?" and so on. I'd be willing to bet a lot more people care about their score than are willing to admit. Lusche may say its not so due to his research, but I think he's counting on people being better at the game than they really are  :devil

OK, back to the original whine.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 08:53:46 AM »
Funny how "almost nobody plays for score" and the first thing you read when a new change comes out is "there goes that score", and "how are they going to score that?" and so on. I'd be willing to bet a lot more people care about their score than are willing to admit. Lusche may say its not so due to his research, but I think he's counting on people being better at the game than they really are  :devil

OK, back to the original whine.

Agreed, I like how in the Storch thread people were whining "how is it going to be scored?" A good portion clearly do play for score, however I don't believe they understand how the score system works. Either you play for score, or you don't there is no way to measure it simply because to many pad their score in a sense they will only up a fighter to vulch/pick and never fight, but hey if you want to spend $15 doing this so be it!
I believe shawk said it best "I guarantee 18 of the top 20 couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag".

Then again you don't have to be a tard to get a low score either, simply playing the game and it will lower as experience builds, shame some people simply don't play for fun instead its all about "TEH SCOREEEEE!"

In this sense I can probably name 10 people off the top of my head that won't be flying a storch.

JG 52

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 08:55:18 AM »
Funny how "almost nobody plays for score" and the first thing you read when a new change comes out is "there goes that score", and "how are they going to score that?" and so on.

The ironic thing is... the OP seems to have no clue how score works, and how the change will affect it. For a moment I wasn't even getting why he mentioned score in the first place  :headscratch:

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 08:57:18 AM »
In this sense I can probably name 10 people off the top of my head that won't be flying a storch.

I admit it's highly unlikely I will use it in any "serious" way after the intital period.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 09:00:56 AM »

I admit it's highly unlikely I will use it in any "serious" way after the intital period.

i dont think anyone will be using it much, after they get lit up by pintle guns.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.